Power brake booster replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rvtbvt

Reaction score
Does anyone have step by step instructions on changing the brake power booster on my 96 4X4 Tahoe. Do I need to also replace the master cylinder, it seems to be in OK condition. Every time I put on the brakes it makes a whooshing sound and requires me to use a lot of pressure on the brake pedal to stop the car. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Malones99

Reaction score
Are you sure its the booster? Have you bleed the brakes or had a mech look at it. Mine did the same thing... ended up to be the back right wheel cylinder was leaking. Also you might need to adjust the rear beakes, sometimes the auto adjustment fails. Just my 2 cents.

Neil 98 K5

Reaction score
Replaced mine about a year ago, it was doing the same thing. I did not replace the MC, it still works fine. It is pretty straight forward, but is kind of a PITA. I did it without draining the MC or taking the brake lines off of it. It can be done, but you have to be careful not to bend/kink the hardlines. Also, if I recall, removing the 4 nuts on the firewall is pretty tight, very little room to get a wrench in there.

GMSI instructions: Vacuum Brake Booster Replacement
# Disconnect the negative battery cable.
# Apply the parking brake.
# Remove the master cylinder nuts.
# Remove the master cylinder and bracket.
# Disconnect the vacuum hose.
# Remove the retainer.
# Remove the stoplamp switch.
# Remove the pushrod.
# Remove four nuts.
# Remove the booster assembly.
# Remove the gasket.
# Install the gasket.
# Install the booster assembly.
# Install four nuts. Tighten the nuts to 36 N·m (26 lb ft).
# Install the pushrod.
# Install the stoplamp switch and retainer.
# Install the vacuum hose.
Gauge the booster pushrod. I did not do this, need a special tool, didn't seem necessary.
# Install the master cylinder and bracket.
# Install the master cylinder nuts. Tighten the nuts to 30 N·m (20 lb ft).
# Release the parking brake.
# Connect the negative battery cable.