Question about automatic AC control?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07TahoeLTZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My automatic AC seems to be working fine (once I realized that if you put temperature to lowest setting, the AC will blow at full force indefinetely), but does putting it in AUTO mode also automatically control recirculation? I put the temp. at about 68deg F and sometimes when I start the car it is in recirculation mode and sometimes it is not. What confuses me is that when the car is started and Auto mode puts it in recirculation mode, it turns if off after a while. To me, it seems to make more sense to leave it off of recirculation mode and then eventually turn recirculation mode on AFTER the interior temperature approaches the desired temperature. Any thoughts?

07TahoeLTZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anybody else notice....

that sometimes recirc is on when you start car, sometimes it is not and them sometimes it turns recirc off after driving for a little while...seems backwards to me. Recirc should be off until car temp gets below outside temp and then kick on and stay on until car is turned off. Anyone have any logical reasons why this should NOT be the case?

McLoki

Reaction score
Recirc is on at first to cool the car faster. (brings in air from the car that has already been cooled once (or more) to cool rather than the hot air from outside)

Once the car is close to the temp it needs and A/C is up and running to the point that it can cool the outside air enough - recirc is turned off so a constant supply of fresh air is supplied to the car. (Chevy doesn't know when the last time you bathed or when your last bean burrito was.... :) )

Michael

07TahoeLTZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks...

Recirc is on at first to cool the car faster. (brings in air from the car that has already been cooled once (or more) to cool rather than the hot air from outside)

Once the car is close to the temp it needs and A/C is up and running to the point that it can cool the outside air enough - recirc is turned off so a constant supply of fresh air is supplied to the car. (Chevy doesn't know when the last time you bathed or when your last bean burrito was.... :) )

Michael

I just wanted to make sure it was working properly...unfortunately, Chevy doesn't know some of the parts of town I have to drive through and how many burritos those people have had...hehehe...it's good that even in Auto mode you can turn on and off recirc manually and it still stays in auto mode.