Question on Gears

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2007 Z71 Tahoe with a 4 inch Rancho Lift. I'm running 35 inch BFG Mud Terrian KM2 on stock gears 3.73. I lost about half my MPG/performance :mad2: when I got the lift done. I was wondering if any one out there had swaped out their gears and if so what gear ratio are you running/recommend?

Thanks,

Frank

06Evolved

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lifting vehicles will do that, trust me, I know from alot of experience. Depending on what gears you choose, it may make the MPG even worse than now. It is all a part of lifting vehicles. If I were to choose gears, I would get 4.10.

ochaole

Reaction score
I have a 2007 Z71 Tahoe with a 4 inch Rancho Lift. I'm running 35 inch BFG Mud Terrian KM2 on stock gears 3.73. I lost about half my MPG/performance :mad2: when I got the lift done. I was wondering if any one out there had swaped out their gears and if so what gear ratio are you running/recommend?

Thanks,

Frank
can you send pics of your lift, ive been contempalting lifting my Z71 3-6 inches,,,,,thanks

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can you send pics of your lift, ive been contempalting lifting my Z71 3-6 inches,,,,,thanks
[/I]

I tried to take some pictures but it was too dark outside and they looked fuzzy :ack: . I'll take some pictures tomorrow and I post them right away.

Even with my poor gas mileage I recommend lifting it. Just the looks :thumbsup: that I get makes it worth it. Stay with four inch Rancho Kit and Rancho 9000 XL shocks.

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's my Tahoe.

Attachments

• tahoe-1.jpg
    tahoe-1.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 33
  • tahoe-3.jpg
    tahoe-3.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 37
  • tahoe-4.jpg
    tahoe-4.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 40
  • tahoe-5.jpg
    tahoe-5.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 25
  • tahoe-6.jpg
    tahoe-6.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 36

06Evolved

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That thing is nasty man, I love it! I don't want to go back to a lifted vehicle, but when I see that, I wonder?? Did you install the kit yourself?

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doesn't the 2007 Z71 come with the 4.10 gear already?

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gonzo, great looking Hoe! The lift height is just right. Hmmm... makes me want a lifted truck again.

06Evolved

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure that the 4.10 was an option, but they should come with 3.73 if you didn't get the 4.10 option.

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That thing is nasty man, I love it! I don't want to go back to a lifted vehicle, but when I see that, I wonder?? Did you install the kit yourself?

No, I have a small garage and not enough tools but I did install the lift on the Xterra in the background.

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doesn't the 2007 Z71 come with the 4.10 gear already?

It has the stock 3.73 gears. I never planned on lifting it so I didn't think about the gears until it was too late. If could do it again I would get one with the 4.10 gear. But I'm really happy with it at the moment.

High4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4.10 gears provide a little better low end grunt, meaning it's a tad quicker from a dead stop and tows more comfortably. Although yours looks great with a full lift the milage is why I didn't go that direction (just a 2 1/2" level for the front and 33" tires). Have done so in the past and all the air turbulance underneath causes a decrease in milage, as do the 35". However, for off-roading it may be worth the cost. Oh, a catback may help get a couple of mpg.

ochaole

Reaction score
4.10 gears provide a little better low end grunt, meaning it's a tad quicker from a dead stop and tows more comfortably. Although yours looks great with a full lift the milage is why I didn't go that direction (just a 2 1/2" level for the front and 33" tires). Have done so in the past and all the air turbulance underneath causes a decrease in milage, as do the 35". However, for off-roading it may be worth the cost. Oh, a catback may help get a couple of mpg.

do you have pictures of your truck with the 2 1/2 " level / 33's.....??
id love to see that setup,,,thanks....

High4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am out of town (business) for a bit and can't take pictures. However, if you go to fatbobsgarage.com and look at the Truxxx leveling kit for an 07 Tahoe there is a picture. It is only slightly noticable, like something is different but not jumping out at you.

ochaole

Reaction score
I am out of town (business) for a bit and can't take pictures. However, if you go to fatbobsgarage.com and look at the Truxxx leveling kit for an 07 Tahoe there is a picture. It is only slightly noticable, like something is different but not jumping out at you.

thanks,,,,any rubbing with the 33's.....?

High4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No rubbing at all, but I think it would without the 2 1/2" leveling.

z71offroader

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for 35s i would go with 4:56s ive got the stock 4:10s with 35s and it does well but i could always use some more lower end power.

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks I decided to stay with my stock gears (3.73) for now . I did lose some horsepower but it'll still smoke any fordor dodge any day!