Radiators Stock or Aftermarket?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, sometimes a dude just needs to fabricate a problem to see if theres a better way to do things.

..so, I saw this drip of coolant. :D

My radiator is failing, was installed march of '07. not worth repairing cause its the end seal etc blah blah.. so yeah. I can do this repair myself.. and I have time to shop for it etc. can keep up with the leak..
only had a one year warranty.. so yeah.

I just dont want to give up and put a regular replacement in there. I would like to look at other options. better than stock, etc suggestions.

anyone got thoughts on that?

Scany

Reaction score
I put in an aftermarket from Summit and it's working fine as of now. Got a 2month old OEM for sale, but the oilcooler part needs to be cleaned out after main bearings failed. You can have it for a good price :)

95TwinTT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go for the OEM offer here. Save your money for something that you really need.

I have stress tested the OEM radiator in every way possible and it has always been more than enough to keep things cool.

You should be able to flush out the oil cooler without too much problem. I had to do a flush on my tranny cooler after one of the 4L60's took a dump.

A 2 mo old OEM sounds good to me. :cool:

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Scany, what are you thinking $$ wise? PM me if you like so we can talk about it more. Ill get my meauserments if you would be kind enough for a picture.
thanks,
Pete

Its better this way.. cause I found some 1300 custom welded stuff online.. and I cant do that..

SSport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My stock radiator went bad and I replaced it with one from radiatorbarn.com for $150. Came with a lifetime warranty and have had no problems with it thus far.

bacon612

Reaction score
My stock radiator went bad and I replaced it with one from radiatorbarn.com for $150. Came with a lifetime warranty and have had no problems with it thus far.

Same here. I bought a referbished one with the tranny cooler at around 100k a for $150 as well. I now have 192k and havent had a problem since.

clean95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i bought a 4core desert radiator from a chevy dealer for 220, its awsome never over heats and the engine runs cool,love it came with a bigger oil cooler and then i bought an external tranny cooler, i towed a 28 foot boat for about 800miles pretty much non stop ran like a champ! and stayed cool

slatega

Reaction score
Even though this is an old post I'm adding on to ask a similar question. I'm replacing the radiator in my '95 and the aftermarket radiator that I got from NAPA is only 1.5 inches thick compared to 2 inches on the one I'm taking out. I'm concerned about the cooling power as I use it to tow a boat in summer. Is my concern founded? Should I get one that matches what I'm taking out??

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would stay OEM or better..... I picked up an OEM unit off amazon for my 95 for $120 IIRC.....