Rear door child-safety windows

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hardwarz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dump your Tahoe and buy a surburban. People around here have been doing anything they can to get rid of their full size SUVs due to fuel economy.

Soon, full size SUVs will be the poor person's vehicle because they'll be cheap, but expensive to keep running.

Hardwarz

Last edited:

supaman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wrong hardwarz...y would u want to get rid of something you have built and dropped thousands into to make it the way u want...if gas is that big of a problem buy a small daily driver but dont get rid of ur suvs...everyone has lifted trucks, few have lifted suvs

Hardwarz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wrong hardwarz...y would u want to get rid of something you have built and dropped thousands into to make it the way u want...if gas is that big of a problem buy a small daily driver but dont get rid of ur suvs...everyone has lifted trucks, few have lifted suvs

Stock Tahoes and Surburbans around here for 2003/2004 are going for about $5k. Newer Yukons are only going for $8k used. No one is buying used SUVs in NE Ohio. (well at least during summer while there is no snow on the ground)

Some people can afford more than one vehicle payment. Don't get me wrong, I'm keeping my Tahoe and I'm looking for a daily driver, but unlike some, I had a good paying job that I just got a raise at. Others aren't so lucky.

Hardwarz

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hardwarz - why are you so against someone retro-fiting windows into the back of their tahoe/yukon to make them go all the way down? i don't quite understand.. - Personaly i just don't like how long the suburban is.. - that is why i would be interested in spending the money to make my own back windows go all the way down

supaman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea my bad i u r right some arent as fortunate and i apologize for the bland response...but i bought a 92 ford (i know dont say ne thing), and it gets like 18 mpg which is awesome compared to the 10 in my yukon, i need gears. but as far as the window goes if someone figures this out i would love to know because that would be a great add on to the yukon

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whats bad is, the best Gas mileage vehicle i own is my 97 yukon.. - my work truck 95 Ford gets 11-14.. my mud truck 78 ford gets about 15.. my 99 gets 16-18 my 97 gets 17-20 And my chevelle.. well lets just say its EXCELLENT! it hasn't used a gallon of gas in years!!

General Stalin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I'll say this, I have not see very much of ANY shortage in the amount of full size trucks and SUV's on the road. Although, I have seen a good amount of them for sale, including full-size chevy's, but mostly 90's models.

Suburbans are way too excessively sized unless you have a life-style that requires a vehicle of that size, honestly. They are longer, taller, and a little wider than the 4-door tahoe. Unless you have like 3+ kids, why would you need a vehicle that size.. with a V8!?

Stock Tahoes and Surburbans around here for 2003/2004 are going for about $5k

It's amazing how different the demand is for things from region to region. Over here in Massachusetts (well... New Hampshire was where I saw the vehicle) I was at the junkyard picking up stuff and I was looking at their repairables for sale. there was a 2005 Tahoe with a smashed rear window and a destroyed hood, grille, and front bumper. The junkyard was asking $8,000+

I would never consider getting rid of my truck and getting a suburban just so that my rear door windows can go all the way down. Especially where as I have already put work into this truck and am in the process of putting much more work into it. I'm with Yukalade. Why ARE you so negative towards modifying the rear windows to make them go down further?

Hardwarz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hardwarz - why are you so against someone retro-fiting windows into the back of their tahoe/yukon to make them go all the way down? i don't quite understand.. - Personaly i just don't like how long the suburban is.. - that is why i would be interested in spending the money to make my own back windows go all the way down

I'm not against anyone retrofitting somthing. All the power to whomever whants to do it. What I'm arguing is opportunity cost. What's your time worth? $10.00/hr? $15.00 per hour? More? Factoring in man-hours, parts, equipment you have to buy, etc, what does that total up to?

If you don't like the surburban, fine, but I'm just trying to have people realize that there may be cheaper ways to get to the same end. That includes replacing the vehicle. I'm arguing simple economics, that's all.

BTW, the tempered glass is almost impossible to cut. You'll have to take it to a glass company, not your local home improvement shop.

Hardwarz

NacIK

Reaction score
I don't think I would do it, but I would like to see it. Would definitely be something to post up on all of the forums.