Rear door child-safety windows

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

General Stalin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, how easy do you think it would be to modify the windows in the rear doors of the 4-door model so that they actually go ALL the way down? Everyone who gets in my car who doesn't know about the child-safety windows are like "...are you joking me?" The window only goes down like 35%. Anyone done this? I would assume so.

bsamoul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you look at your car, look where the wheel well stops, then make a line going straight up. The window extends past that line meaning it will never ever fit completely in the hole..that is, unless you have a suburban. sorry bro

General Stalin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rear%20window.JPG

I know that rear windows are hindered by the rear wheel well in most 4 door vehicles... but c'mon! There has got to be something that can be done about that. Maybe a different shaped piece of glass even?

bsamoul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah but look at the picture, the window stops right at the door handle. Look at the inside of the door. Look how sharply the door curves in towards the front. There is no play room for more glass to go down. What kind of glass would you put that would perhaps fit in the hole, but wouldn't cover the area of the window. Also, don't forget the the door lock mechanisms and power window mechanisms that are also on the inside of the door.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the only way to do it would be to buy a suburban.

that or just make it so you can take the glass out of the window when you want to roll it down...:smilielol::smilielol::smilielol:

bsamoul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the only way to do it would be to buy a suburban.

that or just make it so you can take the glass out of the window when you want to roll it down...:smilielol::smilielol::smilielol:

or get a plastic zip window like a jeep lol

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3004759_24_full.jpg

I've always thought about having a custom glass made to fit in the window, that is small, like say how a jeep cherokee is, so that it has the black rubber peice between the back peice of glass, and the peice that actually rolls down - that away the glass would still be full size, but only 3/4 of it will roll down

JsnChristianson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've always thought about having a custom glass made to fit in the window, that is small, like say how a jeep cherokee is, so that it has the black rubber peice between the back peice of glass, and the peice that actually rolls down - that away the glass would still be full size, but only 3/4 of it will roll down

The rear windows on the Chevrolet Blazer have the configuration you are referring to that allows the window to roll down further. I really looks like more trouble than it is worth though to fabricate something like that.

But with enough effort any modification is possible, so if you create something that works, be sure to document it with pictures and post a write up in the technical write up and installation guide sub-forum!

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya just like the blazer thats what i'm talking about.. -however it would be extremly hard for the people in the backseat to use the window.. - well its hard for them to use it now as well

General Stalin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's actually a really clever idea, Yukalade. You may be onto something.

Kevs98hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My freinds call them drive by windows hehe not that im going around shooting people. My truck is pretty scary looking at night

Hardwarz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Child safety windows is a marketing thing. Windows don't roll down due to the shape of the door. Having a split window is the only thing that will allow the window to go down further. That would need to be custom made.

How much would it cost you to re do that back door so that the window rails are closer together, install the custom made split window and install the new window? About the cost of a used surburban with windows that roll all the way down?

Hardwarz

General Stalin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much would it cost you to re do that back door so that the window rails are closer together, install the custom made split window and install the new window? About the cost of a used surburban with windows that roll all the way down?

God I hope not, unless by "used suburban" you mean a 1984 piece of junkyard trash for like $200. You'd need to call a glass place and have them make you 4 custom pieces of glass (and the dimensions would just be the same as your rear door window dmiensions, just chopped up 1/4 and 3/4 with maybe an inch or 2 of clearance for the space inbetween the parts of the window). That would be the only really pricey part. Then you would need to move (and modify slightly?) the window guide that normally goes along the back end of the door. It would need to be along the divider instead, and then you would have to modify the window regulator and track system to make up for the more narrow window that also goes down futher. This is totally doable. The only really difficult part would be modifying the regulator assembly, and possibly finding a way to fab up a divider for the 25%/75% split window. You could probably get away with yanking the divider off of another vehicle with a similar setup and similar sized windows/doors from the boneyard with little modification. I'm starting to think this is a very feasible project.

Attachments

• Window project.JPG
    Window project.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 8

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You wouldn't even need the glass made, just take the glass out you have now, and take it and get it cut, even lowes hardware cuts glass.. its not that expensive - just need to have about an inch cut out of the glass, and have it cut exact to where you put the rubber piece for the split.. - than you need tracks say from a suburban, and modify them to where they are closer together - weld them in place, and put the glass in.. - you may also need regulators from the suburban so they can roll all the way down - but you could probably get away with some from the front doors of any chevy truck - possibly even the tracks - i don't think it would cost that much finding the parts in the junk yard - you would probably have to custom make the rubber piece (put two of them together) but, still..

General Stalin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I didn't even think of having the glass simply cut; that would be a simple and good idea. I think I'm going to try starting this project... although I think for the sake of experimentation I'm going to try and find away to not actually have to take out and cut my stock rear windows.

Hardwarz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The custom shaped tempered glass will cost you a lot of $$$. You'd be best off to see if you can find a doner vehicle.

Technically, you could use the Tahoe's window if you can find someone to cut the tempered glass. Problem is that there is no guarentee that tempered glass will not shatter when cutting it.

Hardwarz

Last edited:

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go out and buy a ****ty door from a tahoe (the back one : ) ) and then expirement on that one. u know.. dont use yours unless your forsure on everything.. i believe its very possible, the only problem id hate to see is for wide would the window be by the time the windows all the way down.. see my picture to what i mean..
Ehh maybe its not that bad.. but still. kinda a skinnny window..

supaman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont know if it is possible but if u guys figure this one out i will love you all!!! lol i hate my back windows