Removing badging and plastic panels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tahoe7689

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How hard is it to remove the "tahoe" badge and plastic panels on the side of the truck? And how would I go about doing it? Cost?

oomindwarpoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They just peel off, then you remove the adhesive with Goo-gone or any other product like it.

If your paint is really sunfaded, that is something you might want to consider before removing them.

organdonor

Reaction score
To do it well (aka with as little to no damage to your paint underneath,) you'll need an old credit card or gift card, a screwdriver, and a heat gun. A hair dryer will do the trick, too.

You want to heat up the emblem with the hot air, first. This softens up the adhesive underneath it. Then you slide the plastic card underneath it, trying to pry the emblem up away from the painted surface. On my wife's Civic Si, this was all that was needed... the emblem came off with the heat and the prying card. If it doesn't come off, slide the card into the adhesive as far as you can, with the card flat against the paint. Then use the flathead screwdriver to pry the emblem away from the vehicle by wiggles the screwdriver from side to side. Make sure you keep the card firmly underneath the screwdriver, so that your screwdriver is only making contact with the emblem and the card... not the paint underneath the card. Make sure to keep the adhesive as warm as possible.... if it cools off, run the hair dryer over it for a minute or two to keep it soft.

I debadged the wife's Si like this, as well as one of my motorcycles, with zero issues. Just be patient, and make sure you don't have the screwdriver come in contact with the paint, or else you'll gouge the paint.

Ben

Stargazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just used fishing line to cut through the double-sided tape and then Goo Gone to remove the remaining residue.

A fresh coat of wax (cleaner and polish) after it was done and it looked like it was never there.

organdonor

Reaction score
If you don't have any Goo Gone, or other cleaner like that, try WD-40. Works great at removing gummy residue, including tree sap and bugs.

Tahoe7689

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cool, I removed a pinstripe with a similar method and there werent any sunfading issues, but has anyone had any problems? And is glue the same case as the plastic panels that run down the side of the doors or are they screwed in?

Tahoe7689

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I removed them today with no problems, I did the floss and hairdryer then the eraser wheel for the adhesive. thanks for the help!

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did mine every way said on here and mine must have been the toughest of all...lol

As easy a task it should have been it didn't go at all like I thought.

I scratched the **** outta the Chevy one on the back.
The Tahoe one on the back came off alright I guess but yeah it's rather ugly up close now...lol