Removing body mouldings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ScottyG

Reaction score
i have a blue 96 tahoe 2door and i took off my moldings/emblems as soon as i could. i used heavy fishing line, a plastic razor blade and a heat gun. with some 3M adhesive remover to clean it all up. one thing that i didnt like is that i had chrome fender trim and you can see where the clear coat rubbed away. to get an even cleaner look buy some 99 denali or escalade painted bumpers.

ScottyG

Reaction score
i havent done this myself, but the escalades, tahoes, and yukons are all the same body and frame,in that body style. they just have different fenders, mpers, grills and interror. in the newer ones im not too sure of.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you may have to swap out the front fenders to use the bumper, you'd want to swap out the grills to make it look right and you'd have to change the hood as well.

i was debating doing the frontend swap on my 2-door since there wasn't a 2-door escalade or denali

KJLegend

Reaction score
So basically its not worth it to change it over since it sounds like you will need headlights also...

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah.

IIRC you need:
-grill
-bumper/cover
-fenders
-hood
-headlights/foglights
-and the side moldings unless you are custom cutting fender flares for it.

shreksbrother

Reaction score
Definitely use fishing line. If you just pull it off by hand, you probably will have issues with your clearcoat coming up. Just work the fishing line like a finger saw from front to back (or vice versa). Then use laquer thinner to remove the adhesive residue. Then a wax job to protect your paint after using laquer thinner. I promise this'll remove the mouldings without damaging your paint.
Good luck with yours!

CRXMotorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Again the method I posted a few posts up, had no issues, you can see the results, and that didn't take TOO long either.. Next will be to finish de-GMC'ing the grill, and possibly some front/rear bumpers from lmc-truck or similar to finish the de-chrome project.

2000 Z71 Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you heat it up with a hair dryer first to make the glue a little softer and easyer to come off. i helped my brother take the ones off of his Sierra and i have had to do that a few times at work now. if you add heat it helps them come off better.

i like it when they are removed. from looking at the pictures i think i am going to do that to mine. i dont like that i will have to get rid of the Tahoe emblm so i will prolly get some off of eBay that someone took off of there 2007.

ScottyG

Reaction score
So basically its not worth it to change it over since it sounds like you will need headlights also...

you can put the caddie and denali bumpers on your hoe. i asked around and everybody i talked to said you can. even a auto body/collision tech said you can. all they are is stock painted bumpers made by GM. you could buy painted bumpers just for the hoe, but what fun would that be.

jwpotts0413

Full Access Member
Reaction score
most body shops can do this for you pretty cheap. but remember the paint under those emblems and moulding has not been faded by the sun! so, if you take them off of a vehicle with paint that is several years old, you might be able to see the shadow of where they used to be. that is, if you get them off without removing the paint/clearcoat.

i took everything off my 1999 s10 in 2001 with flawless results. this was against the advice of my father and my body shop. i removed the pinstripe (took over 2 hours!), rocker panel mouldings, tailgate logos, and LS badges on door pillars. the mouldings came off great but to get the glue off i had to use that wheel thing. i went to Quality collision and they removed the glue, buffed and polished the whole thing for $40 bucks. but my mom does audit their business to decide whether or not state farm is gonna send them business. wink wink

g rock

Reaction score
on my 07 tahoe is it 3m rubber or will i run into holes to patch up if i remove the mouldings off the doors if anyone can help me thanks.