Removing wiper arm grrrrrrrrr pic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. I have to remove my wiper arm from the hood area. It's all crappy, chipped, and needs some lovin' and some paint.

I cant get the release to work. Im assuming that indeed there is a release mechanism. I believe that I have it pictured below. I CANT GET IT TO RELEASE. whats the secret here? pull out? pull up? slide down? I tried them all. I'm very close to screwdrivering myself in the eye with rage.
:mad3:

Attachments

• wiper1.jpg
    wiper1.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 26

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok. I got the arm up this time, and the tab out. the tab is pulled outwards ( as you can see in the pic)
Im pulling up on the arm, but dont want to bust it. am I missing the secret, or not pulling on it hard enough?

Attachments

• hoodlight proto 001.jpg
    hoodlight proto 001.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 26

TahoeGoBoom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea, like, lift them as if you were cleaning the windshield... i guess thats the best way to say it. it should work, thats how i did mine. lol. lemme kno, if not, im gonna go run outside. lol

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if your wipers get faded and paint wears from the ice and snow, you can pop them off (with help) and then sand them lightly and paint them with an exterior spraypaint. I used Krylon outdoor satin black for metal. looks crappy in this picture, but waay better than it was before.

Attachments

• hummer.jpg
    hummer.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 12

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks much better. mine look horrible haha.

but did you clear coat it? i kryloned (sanded primed and painted) a set for one of the precious vehicles and had to repaint them again in the spring. all the salt and crap they put on the roads down here ate the paint up on them.

if you really want them to look good for a long while you should powder coat them.

been wanting to pick up one of those "do it yourself" powder coat kits and try it out. have to find an old oven to bake the paint onto the parts though.

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mmmm powder coating. good call. *imagines buying powder coater and oven* NO DUDE>! BAD CALL! BAD CALL!

lol.
Im so broke from this damn truck..

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dude for the oven hit up that local Menards (should be able to throw a rock and hit atleast 3 of them up there...) and pick up one of the $10 used stove/ovens. hell they even have a warranty on them... hahaha be good enough to bake wiper arms and some rims and small crap like that.

if there was any space left in the garage id pick one up and start powdercoating smaller parts for the camaro and the tahoe.

i hear you on being broke from these damn trucks... still so much more to do to it...

jbenson

Reaction score
front wipers easy, try and get the back one off without breaking the window, thats my problem if anyones got any tips let me know please been fightin it for awhile

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ill check that out tonight. Most of my back blade doesnt even touch the window.. I would like to fix it permanently, or remove it completely... for that smooth, buttery look.

jbenson

Reaction score
that's my problem wiper only gets a little of the window im gunna put a new one on but the sob isn't coming off. yes tab's released. can't put to much prying force on it or u'll break the window (then it would be easy to replace)

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
crap I forgot to look... wife took the garage last night before I got home.
Is it possible to heat the business portion that is sticking with a pencil torch, to help it expand a little bit? Then maybe it will pop off? I have to try this. I would love to actually have a functioning rear blade this winter.