seafoam!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tofargone

Reaction score
Did it on my 98, really smoothed out the idle. Little more power, but mainly in the idle.

jimbo98

Reaction score
seafoam

I was having missing issues with my 98 ( 128 K ) i used seafoam. It created a whole bunch of fault codes,ran rougher than hell. I read the messages and thought i trashed some sensors or something. It finally started smoothing out and i was able to clear the faults. I changed the ignition module about the same time so im not sure what fixed my problem but it hasnt missed since then and runs alot smoother.

bsamoul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What steps did you do it? I did mine, but there wasn't very much smoke so I don't know if I did it right...

tofargone

Reaction score
I put about 1/3 in through the brake booster line and the rest in the tank. It worked instantly and smoked like hell.

96cherry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i put half in the brake booster vacuum while running, smoked out the neighbors house then i shut it off poured the rest in the vacuum let it soak for about 15 minutes and started it again once it all burned off it smoothed out the idle that was about it

General Stalin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seafoam is a tried and true awesome engine/carbon cleaner.

Start your car and unpllug the brake-booster hose (it's a thick black rubber vacuum hose that goes to the bick black drum behind your master cylinder). when you unplug the hose, the idle will get really high, but don't worry about it. Put the Seafoam carbon cleaner in a clear container (so you can see how much is in there) and slowly let the vacuum line suck the fluid in. Keep sucking it in untl you have used roughly 1/3 to 1/2 of the seafoam. After that, just turn the engine off (some say stall the engine out on it... but I think that is a bad idea personally). Then, pour the rest of the container in the crank case (oil fill). It would also be a good idea to have a second can and pour the whole can into your has tank. You should also have a spray can of Seafoam Deep Creep and soak the throttle body and inside the intake manifold with it.

Let the vehicle sit for like 20 minutes

Start it back up and watch it smoke. Not all cars smoke a lot, it only smokes if you actually have a pretty dirty engine. The plumes of white smoke billowing from the exhaust is all the loosened up deposits burning off and exiting the engine.

If you have a REALLY dirty engine, then it is very possible that doing this porcedure can clog up some things, like spark plugs, O2 sensor, things like that. Check your spark plugs after this is done and make sure they aren't all caked with crap. Change your oil, as the Seafoam you put in the crank case will have lossened up all kinds of crude inside there.

Kevs98hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am so freakin doing this on the weekend. Piss off my A-Hole Home Owners Associations there lucky I still have a muffler on my tahoe there bitchin about my car being to loud now.

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol.. did anyone hear that this crap can seize your motor? i heard if you are sucking it in through the tube and the motor chokes it self it can lock up on you or something?? true? idk

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah you can hydrolock the motor with it, the instructions are sort of vauge, IIRC they want you to dump enough down the vaccum hose to choke out the motor at one point.

when i did the camaro, i just put about half a can through the booster hose and the rest in the gas tank. changed the plugs afterwards. made a little difference.

clean95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow ive never heard of this stuff im gunna try it out hopefully it fixes my idle.... hmm thanks for the ideas guys!

bsamoul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am so freakin doing this on the weekend. Piss off my A-Hole Home Owners Associations there lucky I still have a muffler on my tahoe there bitchin about my car being to loud now.

LOL you're an ass. not a bad thing hahahaha

yukonxl1500

Reaction score
Can anyone post pics on which hose to use? or direct me to pic? I have searched now for a good while and can not locate one. I have a 2000 Yukon with 5.3

bigblackhoe98

Reaction score
I poured a can of it in my tank and filled up to 3/4 of a tank (treats 8-25 gallons). Haven't drove it enough to see any results.