Seasoned Pioneer AVIC D-3 users..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slickpartner

Reaction score
I finally got my d3 installed.. i am impressed.. The guys at Empress Audio in Pearl,Ms. did a outstanding job.. My question is how do i download screensavers or background pics? i have jogged thru the manual and did see anything pertaining to. Any help would be appreciated..

brdnboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will just refer you to avic411.com. It is a super helpful site that has detailed tutorials on background images and has a large library of backgrounds, and lots of chevy and gmc related backgrounds for download.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Make a folder on your computer titled Pictures and drag whatever pics you want into that folder. Transfer the folder to a cdrom. Insert the disk into the D3 and go into the navi menu. From there you can go into the background settings and choose the option to load from disc and you can choose which pic you want. You can use up to three pics for your background.

01lt_hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey JK, do you know if there is any depth difference between the AVIC-D3X & the AVIC-Z2 ? I think I'm gonna take stab at modding my dash to accommodate a double din, and I just want to make sure the the AVIC-Z2 isn't deeper since it has a harddrive...

Oh yeah 1 more quick question, what smartphone were you having trouble getting to work with the bluetooth? I have a Palm treo 755p, and I want to make sure it works with the headunit before I buy the BT adapter

ayeplussjr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah 1 more quick question, what smartphone were you having trouble getting to work with the bluetooth? I have a Palm treo 755p, and I want to make sure it works with the headunit before I buy the BT adapter

I don't have the Pioneer Avic but I have the Kenwood DNX7100 and I was having problems pairing my Treo 750 with my unit. It seemed like I had to try and pair at least 10-15 times before it recognized the phone. After about the 3rd time it asked for the pairing code but still did not recognize the phone right away, but once the unit picked up the phone I have not had any problems with pairing since. I know it's not the same head unit that you plan on using but I wanted to throw in my .02 of the same problem I had as well.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
hey JK, do you know if there is any depth difference between the AVIC-D3X & the AVIC-Z2 ? I think I'm gonna take stab at modding my dash to accommodate a double din, and I just want to make sure the the AVIC-Z2 isn't deeper since it has a harddrive...

Both units have a mounting depth of 6.5".
I have a Palm as well and cannot get it to pair with the BT200 unit. It will pair with other devices just fine. Pioneer still says the BT200 is incompatible with alot of smartphones/PDAs. Why, I have yet to find out.

01lt_hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have the Pioneer Avic but I have the Kenwood DNX7100 and I was having problems pairing my Treo 750 with my unit. It seemed like I had to try and pair at least 10-15 times before it recognized the phone. After about the 3rd time it asked for the pairing code but still did not recognize the phone right away, but once the unit picked up the phone I have not had any problems with pairing since. I know it's not the same head unit that you plan on using but I wanted to throw in my .02 of the same problem I had as well.

hmm... I have also been looking at the kenwoods... I'm waiting to see some reviews of the new 8120... also I heard sprints releasing a treo 800w this summer, and that will probably be my next phone... So its good to know that windows mobile & the kenwoods can sync up... I will make up my mind by the time we get these stimulus checks...

01lt_hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both units have a mounting depth of 6.5".
I have a Palm as well and cannot get it to pair with the BT200 unit. It will pair with other devices just fine. Pioneer still says the BT200 is incompatible with alot of smartphones/PDAs. Why, I have yet to find out.

ok thanks, that might just push me towards the kenwoods... ever modded any pre 03's with kenwood 5120/7120/8120's?

ayeplussjr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmm... I have also been looking at the kenwoods... I'm waiting to see some reviews of the new 8120... also I heard sprints releasing a treo 800w this summer, and that will probably be my next phone... So its good to know that windows mobile & the kenwoods can sync up... I will make up my mind by the time we get these stimulus checks...

The only thing that I noticed is that the phonebook does not load up on the head unit. You can still dial out manually from the phone and use the phones phone book, but you can't transfer the phone book numbers from the phone to the kenwood unit. My wife's Motorola Razr can transfer her phonebook numbers, but I've read through numerous sites that the address book on the Palm phones will not transfer. I can't remember if that is the same issue on the Pioneer units as well.

SoCal Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not sure, but crutchfield.com is by far the best place to purchase a double din for a good price. no tax either since they are based out of VT.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
ok thanks, that might just push me towards the kenwoods... ever modded any pre 03's with kenwood 5120/7120/8120's?
Most people in my area are stuck on the D3s, so I haven't had too many requests for the Kenwood units. And when I do, it's customers who already have a DD vehicle. But installing it into a 1.5 din truck wouldn't be much different than the D3.

Slickpartner, did you ever get the screensaver figured out? Look on pg.66 of the Operation Manual.

slickpartner

Reaction score
well. i went on the AVIC411 web site. read up a little and got in the right direction. now i have to try it. i am gonna buy some disc this weekend. thanks for the info, and i will let u know something saturday. so far, i love this unit, i paid 569.00 for the unit, and probably the best money i have spent. alot of people complain about the navigation system being inaccurate... well.. its really not that bad. i have had experience with other units that were worse. for all that u get with this unit, u cant go wrong...

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
.... so far, i love this unit, i paid 569.00 for the unit, and probably the best money i have spent. alot of people complain about the navigation system being inaccurate... well.. its really not that bad. i have had experience with other units that were worse. for all that u get with this unit, u cant go wrong...
Really? I haven't had any accuracy problems with mine so far. The nav learning system in 3D Hybrid mode learns and gets more accurate the longer you drive. After a few hundred miles, it's pretty darn accurate. As long as the reverse and vss wires are connected, you shouldn't have a problem with accuracy.