Service 4 wheel Drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackedoutLTZ

Reaction score
Well this is the first time I have used my 4 wheel drive since I got the car. So yesterday I went to put it in 4wd auto and in less then a min the 4 wheel drive service light came on and it switched it from auto to 4wheel high. Has any one heard or have had this happen to them. I am planning on taking the truck to Chevy this weekend.

bad63lac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try again today and see if still has an issue.

So you switched it from 2wd to Auto? Then got the warning and it switched to 4wd high?

At least you know its not a mechanical problem with engaging the 4wd or powering the front axle.

When you have it in Auto, you have the front axle "engaged" but power is applied to that axle only if the vehicle senses a loss in traction.

It is probably a faulty sensor...

BlackedoutLTZ

Reaction score
Yeah when I put it from 2wd to Auto the message came up and it switched it to 4wd high. I have tried it again today and same thing. I also get the message if I go from 2wd to 4wd high but it stays on 4wd high.

DHall15

Reaction score
Mine just did the same thing have had it on auto for about three weeks. We got about 8in of snow yesterday and have needed it. On my way home from work today. It went to 4wheel hi and the service light came on. It said in 4wheel hi but it wasnt got stuck in the snow. Got home ok left it sit for about 30 min went out to check on it. Went into auto with no problem. Who knows>??????????

Yukon Joe XL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea sounds like a sensor.
I love the 4WD auto. handles great in the snow. Been using it most of the past month but no warning lights:yesnod:

Rafael

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get that message if I turn the wheel all the way to either side and I am moving. Tahoe 4wd doesn't like that. Tahoes are not full time 4wd. Full time 4wd vehicles do not have that issue.