SHHHH! License Plate Rattles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sodell

Reaction score
I bought a new 08 LTZ Tahoe. Front and back only have 2 holes each for the license plate. I bought some nice Chevy logo'd frames for the plates but with only two holes on the back liftgate, it sounds like WWIII when you slam the door and I can hear them rattle. Has anyone purchased frame / bracket that they'd recommend that firmly secures the plate and using the 2 holes will prevent the frame/plate from rattling? Any suggestions?

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, on my 08 the back plate has 4 holes but the 2 lower ones just aren't drilled out yet. By any chance do you see 2 dark plastic squares on top with holes in them, and then the same thing on bottom, but solid? If so, you just tap the screws into it and that's how you thread it, I think.

sodell

Reaction score
Okay...thanks...I was leary of just tapping into those 2 black squares...wasn't sure they'd thread. What the heck is the deal with predrilling 4 holes at the factory so license plates can be firmly attached?! I don't mind dressing it up with a frame but that's just more weight to rattle around on only 2 holes. I'll try it out.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Above I said the back plate has 4 holes, I should've said the mounting location for it does, but it sounds like you caught on to what I meant. Anyway, I don't know why they wouldn't drill em, except if other countries' plates only fit the top 2... but you'd certainly think they'd tap em once the car was earmarked for domestic delivery... I was going to run all 4 holes when I get my plates, I also took the dealer's "ad" off and noticed that if I left it there too long it was going to cut through the paint. SOB's!

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I did with mine was pit some adhesive weather stripping on the back of the license plate, it is really quiet now.

Yes it's a good idea to do something like this, in a way that cuts the rattle AND protects the paint. Those dealer frames have unforgiveable edges just as close as can be to our nice new paint.

sodell

Reaction score
On the back tailgate, the two lower black plastic blocks will tap nicely...You can run all 4 screws.