Should I black out my chrome trim?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a pewter Yukon, and all of the chrome trim has seen better days. It's not horrible from a distance, but up close you can really see the rust spots and some pitting. I'm thinking that it would look a ton better if I painted it, but don't want to color match it to the body...I'd rather have some contrast. So, I'm thinking about painting all of the chrome trim black.

I don't have access to photoshop so I can't really see a mockup or anything...but what do you guys think? Here's what I'm working with:

IMG00096.jpg

IMG00100.jpg

Ideally I'd like to tint the windows, and paint/powdercoat the grille surround, front and rear bumper, and side molding black, then add some Denali projectors and OEM-style fender flares along with a black push bumper with some lights and a winch. I want this to be more of a functional truck than a flashy truck, hence the blackout treatment for the chrome.

Thoughts? Has anyone done this who can share pics? I know alot of you guys with black trucks do this to totally black out your ride, but I've never seen it done on a lighter colored truck.

DanS

Reaction score
i'd keep the chrome, in the spring take it to a detail shop and get it detailed they'll have that chrome almost looking new, just make sure you tell them that you want them to take a little extra time on your chrome, but if your more for the black out look that'll look good also

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess a solid detailing effort wouldn't be a bad place to start. I'm still thinking that the blackout treatment would look good with all of the other black accessories I plan on adding, but the more I think about it, the more I wonder if it would be more effort than it's worth...especially on a nearly 10 year old rig. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Repo503

Reaction score
Id be afraid with all that black it would end up looking a little Pontiac circa 99 - enough clading to make you gag. Plus I'm not so sure about the paint color mixed with black....weird contrast, but that just my opion and I cant really see it in my minds eye.

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Street Scence fron/rear bumper time!:D
Plus just demold the sides!

Repo503

Reaction score
I definetly feel getting rid of the chrome...only people I know that love that much chrome are getting old enough they probably shouldnt be driving anyway.

DarkTahoe00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with Nnaboy's option on it. I love Chrome And I'm not to old Repo. I guess its a preference thing! Yea chrome has been around along time but it still looks the best on most vehicles,where paint fades and chips away chrome doesn't! Yea it rust but a little chrome polish and its all gone for the most part unless you its too far gone! With the paint it fades and then you gotta go through the process of repaint it to make it look good again! Just IMO!

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just pull the moldings and add a colormatched rear bumper, then add a replacement front winch bumper and a black billet grill and black shell. I'll whore out some teflon or matte black wheels when you're ready.

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would be sick, Boost...but I'm a poor bastard trying to save up for a house and pay off all of my wife's terrible debt and the cheapest winch bumper I've seen is like $1200+.

Besides, I don't know if I wanna sink that much money into a 10 year old vehicle thats starting to nickel and dime me. I think I'll probably just get it detailed, find somewhere that has a black Go Rhino push/step bumper on sale (or used, I don't really care), throw on a winch and some lights and call it a day. That wouldn't set me back too much - maybe a grand when all is said and done - abd I'd have the functionality that I'm looking for.

When I can afford a new Sierra 1500 with the 6.0 Vortec, then we'll talk. :D