sound noob seeking advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kicksncaps

Reaction score
Ok I've never put any sound in any of my cars in the past. I went out one night with friends I was able to ride in an SUV with a decent set-up (from what I experienced) and that got me interested. I have a 30-40min ride to work each day and my OEM speakers are going out so I've been doing my research... From what I've read Fi subs have been given great reviews and the only complaints are due to the lead time on getting them.

The set up (in my friend's SUV) that I liked was 2 10" JL w7s in a ported box on a 500w JL amp from what I was told. I prefer sound quality over loudness and won't be going crazy loud. The thing I did like was the fact that I "felt" the bass but the common knock on the w7s seem to be that they are overpriced for what they deliver.

I would like some advice in what to go with as far as all aspects based on what those with more experience would recommend on:
Component speakers, amp, fi subs, & anything else that a sound noob would need to know

This will all be going into an 02 Tahoe w/ non-Bose system and I think the speakers on the door are 5" and I'd like to avoid any cutting.

Thanks in advance

clkelley

Reaction score
Welcome to the neighborhood!

I am not a stereo guy, but we have a few members here who are that can answer your questions and they will chime in shortly I am sure...

kicksncaps

Reaction score
thanks... I've been looking thru the forum for a month or 2 and got help just off questions others have asked but I just copy & pasted this question I posted on Fi's forum to see if I get help from other 'Hoe members

Ultra Z

Reaction score
I too am looking into getting a new system in my new tahoe. mine is a 03. Im glad I found this thread, I look forward to reading more replies.

kicksncaps

Reaction score
I've seen a JL Audio stealthbox that replaces your center console... It has a down facing 10w3 but I'm iffy about having a sub that close... Anyone been in a truck with that or have it set up in theirs?

clkelley

Reaction score
I have the stock subwoofer in the center console and wish it was the Stealth box, unfortunately this is not an option on mine as it is an '04 Yukon Denali and they do not fit our model...lol

kicksncaps

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I want to go with 2 12" Fi Q subs but not sure about an amp or component speakers for the doors... What have u seen so far ultra? (if u started looking)

oaleystormakleyguyh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hello i have a stealth under the back seat box for a single 10" kicker, im pushing 1200 watts turned down, as far as what u actually want, look at spending good money for anything u buy, no local flea market cheap stuff, look around, ask around,people are happy to tell what they have and how well it performs, i have pioneer components in mine, but maybe they r not right for you. so ask ur local bass heads.

gibsonsynthetics

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, welcome to the forum.

I have never heard anything about Fi subs, so I will do some research and get back to you about them.

I completely agree with oaley. When you are buying subs you pretty much get what you pay for, the same is said for speakers. I will get back to you within the next 24 hours with a comparison between Fi and JL as that is what you have been exposed to. I will also include extra information that I believe will be helpful for anyone who is looking into sound systems.

tonymac617

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To the OP you first need to determine what your after. For my soon to be install, I will be running older Rockford Fosgate BD power 1000 to a single Dual voice coil Power 12inch sub for the doors, I am going to run Polk DB series components which handle 100W Continuously and another Rockford Fosgate Power BD100x4 amp. I had this setup in my other cars and it slammed! You may not be a Rockford fan, and im not sure how well their new gear performs, but JL Audio Focal's Etc are a good starting point. You need to Realistically put a budget together on what you want to spend on the complete system. Folks say dont skimp on the equipment, and I will add that you shouldnt skimp on the wiring either. Good quality signal cables and wiring will go along way too! Also you can buy big namebrand gear used to help save a few bucks, but dont be shy about asking the seller to try them out for you!

gibsonsynthetics

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry I never got back to you last night, it was a crazy day and did not get home until late. I have done some research and those Fi Q subs look like they have some pretty sweet reviews! One of which I found most impressive...

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/topic/7727-fi-q-12-review/

After all, I would say that they are some pretty sweets subs for the price.

But, now on to the speakers. There are several different things you need to take into consideration when looking at speakers. Do you have tweeters? If not, do you want them? Do you want to run an amp to your speakers?

As for speakers that I have had, I had pioneers in my first truck... And I would not personally recommend them for a bass enthusiast. But I would recommend looking at 2 or 3 way component speakers that fit your vehicle as they will have some of the best bass output from the speakers.

kicksncaps

Reaction score
Sorry I never got back to you last night, it was a crazy day and did not get home until late. I have done some research and those Fi Q subs look like they have some pretty sweet reviews! One of which I found most impressive...

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/topic/7727-fi-q-12-review/

After all, I would say that they are some pretty sweets subs for the price.

But, now on to the speakers. There are several different things you need to take into consideration when looking at speakers. Do you have tweeters? If not, do you want them? Do you want to run an amp to your speakers?

As for speakers that I have had, I had pioneers in my first truck... And I would not personally recommend them for a bass enthusiast. But I would recommend looking at 2 or 3 way component speakers that fit your vehicle as they will have some of the best bass output from the speakers.

Yeah... as you can see with reviews like that and the price point I'm literally drooling to get one of these and check it out... and best of all they are so uncommon that you will surprise any nay-sayers that may think you have some flea market or off brand crap.

As far as speakers: I checked out at a reputable local shop... I was advised to go with Alpine SPS-610 & SPS-610c... reviews looked decent. Anybody have personal experience with these that could chime in?
If price wasn't an issue, based on ones you have heard... what would be door speakers that you would put in your 'Hoe? (without mods / cutting)

kicksncaps

Reaction score
Also, as in that review... I'm definitely going for sound quality but I will be playing everything from rap to jazz to alternative, rock, & movies... I'm most likely going with 1 12" Q from what I've found so far.

iangeideman

Reaction score
Boss Audio --->Ebay for Speakers

Buy a Midpriced Deck =Kenwood, Pioneer, etc

Balls to the ****ing Walls!!! Subwoofers

My Opinion = all aftermarket sounds better than factory (even ****-tier brands like Dual)

Kicker is overkill (also dis-proportionately expensive)

you could have a world class system for $300, if you install yourself

kicksncaps

Reaction score
Boss Audio --->Ebay for Speakers

Buy a Midpriced Deck =Kenwood, Pioneer, etc

Balls to the ****ing Walls!!! Subwoofers

My Opinion = all aftermarket sounds better than factory (even ****-tier brands like Dual)

Kicker is overkill (also dis-proportionately expensive)

you could have a world class system for $300, if you install yourself

Anything is better than factory, yes, but I'm going for sound quality... I've heard plenty of crap systems but it wasn't until I heard a QUALITY system or 2 that I've begun to realize the huge difference.

I have my head unit and sub picked out already... Need help on quality component & door speakers as well as an amp to pair with a 12" or 15" Fi Q sub