spark plugg gap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gordo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok guys I just did the change on pluggs and wires. Just got the ac/delco wires and pluggs but the people at autozone told me to gap them at .040 but the manual for the truck says .060 and when I removed the old original ones some said .060 and others said .045 or .050 not a real direct sign of what i should use If anyone could tell me what they are using for the gaps and what would be the benefit/disadvantage of a bigger/smaller gap
thanks

Whipple1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok guys I just did the change on pluggs and wires. Just got the ac/delco wires and pluggs but the people at autozone told me to gap them at .040 but the manual for the truck says .060 and when I removed the old original ones some said .060 and others said .045 or .050 not a real direct sign of what i should use If anyone could tell me what they are using for the gaps and what would be the benefit/disadvantage of a bigger/smaller gap
thanks

You should at least gap them all the same,I have the supercharger on and I had to to drop down one number cooler and go from .065 gap(factory spec) to a.035 gap.http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinfo/spark_plugs/faq/faqpregap.asp?nav=31200&country=US

JennaBear

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
In 04 they changed from .06 to .04. I would use the .04.

greengumby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should at least gap them all the same,I have the supercharger on and I had to to drop down one number cooler and go from .065 gap(factory spec) to a.035 gap.http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinfo/spark_plugs/faq/faqpregap.asp?nav=31200&country=US
A TSB Update was posted for the new plug gaps the gap that was written in your manual was printed before the update was issued by GM. the Old specs was .060 autozone advised you of the current specs with the new irridium plugs they need to be at .40 As JennaBear stated ...

In 04 they changed from .06 to .04. I would use the .04.

X2

Also Whipple1 got pics of ur ride ? I havent seen a supercharger on the 5.3
you must take out a loan everytime for gas lol

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gap them to .40, I did mine at .35 cuz I planned on spraying 100shot. Whipple has a denali so it's the 6.0, they look like this with a blower tho
2151666_39_full.jpg

DSC02823.jpg

Above is a 5.3 with a magnacharger, lower pic is a whipple with intercooler. I'm sure whipple1 has some more pics of his tho.

thdrill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guess I have to check the gapping on my plugs...so what are the advantages of having the close spacing?

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More top end power, less issue with spark blowout with forced induction or nitrous. People were saying a .60 gap was better for fuel economy but I noticed better throttle response and I picked up some power up top.

Whipple1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A TSB Update was posted for the new plug gaps the gap that was written in your manual was printed before the update was issued by GM. the Old specs was .060 autozone advised you of the current specs with the new irridium plugs they need to be at .40 As JennaBear stated ...

X2

Also Whipple1 got pics of ur ride ? I havent seen a supercharger on the 5.3
you must take out a loan everytime for gas lol

It is a 6.0l and I had the blower on for about 6 years,my gas mileage was improved on the parkway and the same around town with normal driveing,when you start driving hard (in boost)is when you get the bad gas mileage,but there is a big difference in power even with no boost.
IMG_1648.JPG
IMG_1649.JPG

IMG_1650.JPG

IMG_1658.JPG

IMG_1660.JPG

Last edited:

MrBean86

Reaction score
thanks

I agree with everybody else just leave 'em at 0.040 GM did release a TSB in 04 changing the gap from 0.060 to 0.040 due to the new updated iridium plugs that came from the factory. Yours had the factory platinum ones that were set at 0.060 back then, but you should have the new iridiums now. Besides they are a royal PITA to take out, so just leave them as is.

Gordo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok good, they were a PIA to change so Im glad I wont have to take em back out and change em, but about those superchargers are they hard to install and are there any downsides to installing these?

Whipple1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok good, they were a PIA to change so Im glad I wont have to take em back out and change em, but about those superchargers are they hard to install and are there any downsides to installing these?

The supercharger is the best upgrade Ive done to my truck,I had it on there for 5+ years now with no issues, knocking wood.The only downside is if your not in good with your dealer there can be a warranty issue if you blow the engine,but they still cant prove it,you just have to make sure the engine is in perfect running condition,If the engine is never detonating you most likely wont have any problems.Tomorrow morning I will be installing a magnacharger on my buddys 01 tahoe 5.3 it will probably take us around 8 to 10 hrs.They are not hard to install just time consuming,Its basically a manifold swap,install secondary fuel pump,heat exchanger and pump,some hoses and wireing.The most important thing is to have all good and the right tools and takeing your time to make everything neet.

Grocery Getter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much chedda' does one of those bad boys eat up, including install? Actually what's the cost of the supercharger itself? If I actually could afford the unit we could install it.......