Speedometer Lying to Me

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tyler_leatherman

Reaction score
Alrighty folks... here's a short story about my baby... please give me some suggestions or hints as to what might be wrong with her...

My hoe and I have been doing just fine. She's been running well and not giving daddy any problems until today.

This morning, I get out of class, and hop in my hoe to head home. First thing I noticed is that she shifted kinda hard from first to second. I give her a little pat on the dash and tell her to behave. When I get on the highway I notice that she isn't going into OD and she won't go past third. I start slowing down to pull over, and look down at my gauges and notice that instead of indicating that I'm slowing down, my speedo is creeping up towards 100 where it eventually pegs out and remains. I glance at my RPM needle and he's just chillaxin' down at zero with buddies, Mr. service engine soon and Senor check gauges, who are glaring at me...

At this point rather I'm baffled, pondering what in the deuce the deal is.

I pull into Qt to turn the hoe off and relax for a little bit. After about 10 minutes I fire my girl back up, pull out into the street and she shifts fine. The check gauges light is off but the service engine light is still staring me down. The RPM needle has perked back up, but my speedo remains pegged out. I get about a mile down the road and the speedo snaps back around to 50, and then down to zero, where his buddy the RPM needle decides to join him, shortly followed Senor check gauges.

So... I go to wally-world to get some stuff I needed, and when I head home everything is normal except for the service engine light. She's shifts fine, past third into OD, the needles are all functioning properly.

So what the hell is going on? Has anyone has similiar problems, and if so, what was the resolution? I'm too broke to drop 100 bones on a diagnostic so I thought I'd try the handy-dandy tahoe forum first.

Thanks guys!

aquaholic

Reaction score
my guess is that the pcm really thinks you are going 100mph and the governor is shutting down the fuel.