still fighting my brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mross

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oooo,kinda sounds like a master cylinder problem,internally bypassing.my wife is driving my hoe right now and almost rear ended a car yesterday,said it had no brake pedal,i checked fluid and master cylinder was nearly empty.i think all this brake talk has jinked my hoe!

mross

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also i forgot,i don't know what the interval for rear brake adjustment on tahoe is and it is 4:40 in the morning so i'm notabout to go out and get my manual,but i know from 6 yrs of being a honda service mgr that they recommend a rear brake clean and adjust about every 30,000 miles so yes brakes can come out of adjustment,because as i said in previous post a self adjuster can only adjust so far and as brakes wear the shoes need adjust to accomodate for wear

shawnkfl

Reaction score
ok. here's the skinny on my day. i bought new rear wheel cylinders and rear brake shoes. got everything cleaned up and installed the new goodies. used my not so trusty mighty-vac and bled as much air out as i could by myself. it now stops! not on a dime, but it does stop. i'll have a buddy come over and help me finish bleeding it this weekend. for now, i have another question. you guys are helping greatly, so hopefully, the luck will continue...

question is...when i step on the brake pedal, i hear the booster bag "whoosh" sound. it's kind of loud. is that normal? this is my first full size truck, so i don't know. my sonoma is dead silent though. the sound is like pulling the plug on a beach ball (or blow up doll, if your into those things) and then sqeezing it. the rush of air coming out is what i'm hearing. if it's normal, a little bleeding is all i need.

SS5800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok. here's the skinny on my day. i bought new rear wheel cylinders and rear brake shoes. got everything cleaned up and installed the new goodies. used my not so trusty mighty-vac and bled as much air out as i could by myself. it now stops! not on a dime, but it does stop. i'll have a buddy come over and help me finish bleeding it this weekend. for now, i have another question. you guys are helping greatly, so hopefully, the luck will continue...

question is...when i step on the brake pedal, i hear the booster bag "whoosh" sound. it's kind of loud. is that normal? this is my first full size truck, so i don't know. my sonoma is dead silent though. the sound is like pulling the plug on a beach ball (or blow up doll, if your into those things) and then sqeezing it. the rush of air coming out is what i'm hearing. if it's normal, a little bleeding is all i need.

My truck also does the same, Wierd.

shawnkfl

Reaction score
i'm leaning towards normal here. i think i'm just missing a rubber grommet in the firewall and it makes the noise seem louder. i know the grommet where the steering shaft goes through the firewall is not in place, so i'm guessing that's why it's so loud. i think a little more bleeding and i'll be good. i've never driven another tahoe, so i don't know what the brakes should feel like though. my other cars have just a few inches of travel to grab the brakes (1999 sonoma and 2006 G6). this thing is a 1995, so maybe the brakes just feel softer than i'm used to?

SS5800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know the three tahoes ive had have been real soft on brakes, But the 2 door i have now def needs brake work lol.

shawnkfl

Reaction score
on mine so far, i've put on new front calipers, new master cylinder, used power booster, new rear wheel cylinders, new brake pads/shoes all around and ran new fluid through every line. i've learned that if you think the brakes are bled, do them again. and once more for good measure! this thing has been a PITA, but i think i'm getting there now. finally!

SS5800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice, Good to see its runnin well! My truck just needs brake work and a tranny pan leak fix.

d_w79

Reaction score
My experience on the soft pedal:
Have had my 99 Tahoe for 10 years and have spent well over $2,000 to several shops and shade-trees trying to solve the low, soft pedal. Booster and master cylinder replaced twice and all the other things mentioned here. One shop told me that all these tahoes have low soft pedal and that is normal!
I always had drive line 'clunking' on stop and go.
So, for my money I got Nothing!
I checked the booster hose connections for vac tight and found it was easy to turn on the booster connection. There were the little spring clamps that wouldn't compress a kleenex. I put on a 'real' clamp and now I have high, firm brake pedal, the clunking is gone, and the engine is peppier and smoother. Now I have to find a way to get in to the engine end of the hose and change that one. (Got it done and all is Fantastic, including increased engine power) Hope this long story helps some save $$ ...dw

Last edited:

stkr

Reaction score
Lots of info out there on the net re: installing hydroboost. Has anyone tried that?

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 2012 4.3l 1/2 ton work van has hydroboost and it is pretty grabby on the brakes, now after a breakin period of my slotted drilled rotors and ceramic pads, my 1998 sierra will throw you towards the windshield.