stimulus check = Flowmasters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

General Stalin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True dual setup? Nice. Get some exhaust tips and that will sound even more barreled and deep. If you JUST got it installed recently, drive it around a bunch, especially on the highway. After a few weeks the muffler will be really broken in and it will sound sick as hell.

98hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I decided to do the true duals. It wasn't much more than the dual in dual out. And actually they didn't have the single muffler. They wanted 100 bucks for the tips. I thought they could wait.

General Stalin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tips can always wait. I didn't put tips on my new exhaust 'till like 2 months after I got it. I just got a couple 12" chrome angle-cut $20 clamp-on tips from Pepboys, and my brother cut my pipes and welded them on for me in like 5 minutes. $40 got me a sharp look and better sound.

Once I finish my engine rebuild and do the swap, I'm gonna get a whole new exhaust system anyway. Something real high flow.

DJTricky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds alot like mine. i got it done back in the winter with some super 44's

what ones did you get?

98hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think they sound anything alike. I was thinking about the 44's, and if that's how they sound I am so glad I didn't get them! Again, mine are true duals. Two Super 40's side by side. There mounted sideways or sitting up. You have a true dual system??

DJTricky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah true all the way back, but i think it is just cus my cam mic is really bad. it sounds really sick in person. i can try to get a better one cus now i have a better one. but yeah i have mine side by side and its the true duals

chevylee

Reaction score
Sounds good, Love the sound of flomasters. I have a true dual set up on mine here is a clip. It doesn't sound to good i have to redo the pipes they are rubbing in some places.

General Stalin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, you guys need to learn how to tach it up. If you wanna show off how sweet your engine/exhaust sounds, then friggin' let it howl. Run it at 3 grand for a few seconds, top it off at like 4 grand, then climb up the tach slowly. It isn't gonna hurt nothing, and don't be afraid to be loud hehe. I gotta make an exhaust video now with my truck.

Chevylee, your short pipes looked sweet and I think the sound was decent, but would have liked to hear some higher rpms and more of it. I know when I get my engine rebuild done and my new exhaust system all set up, I will surely be reving high and letting my presence be known. There's no two ways about it: V8's sound nice. Loud and proud. Some of those people love throwing exhaust on straight 4's and 6 cylinders (some V6's sound decent) but they sound like crap. V8's are the only engines that are really worth putting a loud exhaust system on simply for wow-factor. When I pull up to a traffic light and some kid next to me in an integra, volkswagon, or a civic revs his engine a little bit and it sounds like a dirtbike, I can't help but crack up as I put a little lead into my pedal and it sounds like the roar of a large predatory animal. I just love that V8 sound, nothing send chills up the spine more.

I'm pumped because when my engine project is done, that thing will have a nice cam and will easily rev to like 6 grand. It's gonna sound ridiculous.

chevylee

Reaction score
Man, you guys need to learn how to tach it up. If you wanna show off how sweet your engine/exhaust sounds, then friggin' let it howl. Run it at 3 grand for a few seconds, top it off at like 4 grand, then climb up the tach slowly. It isn't gonna hurt nothing, and don't be afraid to be loud hehe. I gotta make an exhaust video now with my truck.

Chevylee, your short pipes looked sweet and I think the sound was decent, but would have liked to hear some higher rpms and more of it. I know when I get my engine rebuild done and my new exhaust system all set up, I will surely be reving high and letting my presence be known. There's no two ways about it: V8's sound nice. Loud and proud. Some of those people love throwing exhaust on straight 4's and 6 cylinders (some V6's sound decent) but they sound like crap. V8's are the only engines that are really worth putting a loud exhaust system on simply for wow-factor. When I pull up to a traffic light and some kid next to me in an integra, volkswagon, or a civic revs his engine a little bit and it sounds like a dirtbike, I can't help but crack up as I put a little lead into my pedal and it sounds like the roar of a large predatory animal. I just love that V8 sound, nothing send chills up the spine more.

I'm pumped because when my engine project is done, that thing will have a nice cam and will easily rev to like 6 grand. It's gonna sound ridiculous.

Thanks, I didn't want to rev it to high, Just got that motor put in and was doing some tuning on it. Here is a in cab video of what it sounds like at higher RPM. I will make some more vids now i am almost done tuning it up and getting it running all the way. Yes my tach is off and my gas gauge wont work with the newer PCM for the 6.0. I love the sound of flowmaster but i have to admit, magnaflows flow 100% more, its basically straight pipe but, they don't sound as good.

General Stalin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holy crap, man... that gave me a rubbery one! What kind of engine, a 6.0? So what, a 364 or something weird like that? That thing hauls. Where did you do this video? the quarter mile? 94mph in 2nd gear, that ain't no "slow" 98 chevy truck. that seriously sounds and runs sweet. It's got that high RPM "wine" that real powerful engines have.

I'd like to know what you got into that truck and what it can do.

chevylee

Reaction score
Holy crap, man... that gave me a rubbery one! What kind of engine, a 6.0? So what, a 364 or something weird like that? That thing hauls. Where did you do this video? the quarter mile? 94mph in 2nd gear, that ain't no "slow" 98 chevy truck. that seriously sounds and runs sweet. It's got that high RPM "wine" that real powerful engines have.

I'd like to know what you got into that truck and what it can do.

:shhh: haha yes its a 6.0 lq9 (364) all stock internals for now. Has shorties headers and a tune. Other then that 100% stock. The transmission is a bullet proof 4L80E which kills me off the line, but after about 50 I am gone. I did that on a empty road in Mexico :cool2: haha aka a empty toll road. I just did a rear end swap 2 weekends ago, 14 bolt with a posi and 4:10 gears. I need to make a new video because its a lot faster now, that video was with stock open diff ( you could probably hear me spin until 40) an 3:42 gears.

General Stalin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That engine is stock huh? By "stock internals" do you mean you bought it as a crate engine and dropped it in? Like.. it's a GM performance parts engine or something? That thing sure hauls. Get some hardware in that 4L80E and it ought to help you more than hurt you... although something tells me you already have some work put into that trans because you really ripped up the pavement when shifting from 1st to second. I liked that video though, nice show.

You have any kinds of statistics? Horsepower, torque, dial-ins, etc?

chevylee

Reaction score
It was pulled from a caddy or ss silverado, from a yard. Wish i would have built my own motor up but this one is holding up great after some work that was done to it. I need to get a stall, and shift kit. the tranny is all stock as well. The great thing about the 80E trannys is they are so easy to work with when tuning. When i am taking it easy, everything shifts smoothy and nice, but when i have my foot in it it puts me in the seat. They also last a lot longer then the 60e, and 65e. But you do lose a lot more power from it. Which is something i am willing to sacrifice.

General Stalin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I gotta say congrats on the find. That is a wicked sweet setup for being all stock, untuned components. I didn't know the 4L80E would keep up the way yours does without being modified at all. Makes me excited to get working on my truck.

General Stalin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, as far as the engine is concerned, I'm currently rebuilding a 5.7L 350 L05 I pulled out of a junkyard 1993 Silverado 2500. I stripped the block clean and it is at my local machine shop right now. They have cleaned it, they have to get the rust out of the water jacket, then they are going to steelabrate it, pressure check it, then bore + hone. It will probably end up bored ".030 over.

I am using the crank and connecting rods that came with the junkyard block, they will just need to be inspected and the crank may have to be ground. After that is all said and done, I've got a set of Vortec heads that are going to be port/polished/valved (either that, or I'm going to buy a set of already reworked heads from the shop... whichever is cheaper and/or more worth the money) maybe even have them modified a little. I got a nice street/strip Lunati Voodoo cam and lifter set picked out, GM performance TBI Vortec intake manifold, Holley 670 CFM throttle body injection unit, Mallory HEI ignition system, and there you have it.

Basically I am building up a mean Throttle body injected street/strip 350. After the whole block is done, I will pull the 350 out of my truck and swap the rebuilt one in. Then maybe I will rebuild THAT 350 over the course of time. Maybe make it retarded and have it stroked to a 383 ;P.

After the engine, I plan to get a new shorty exhaust system from the header back; true duals with side exits before the rear tires. Eaton Detroit Truetrac rearend (haven't decided if I want to go for the 4.10 gears or not for driveability/gas mileage reasons). Then (hopefully) a built up 4L80E with an automatic/manual valve body kit and a couple of servos. If I can't get my hands on a cheap 4L80E, then I will just build up my 4L60E for now.

After all that, this 5,200 lb. monster 'ought to really haul ass.

chevylee

Reaction score
Well, as far as the engine is concerned, I'm currently rebuilding a 5.7L 350 L05 I pulled out of a junkyard 1993 Silverado 2500. I stripped the block clean and it is at my local machine shop right now. They have cleaned it, they have to get the rust out of the water jacket, then they are going to steelabrate it, pressure check it, then bore + hone. It will probably end up bored ".030 over.

I am using the crank and connecting rods that came with the junkyard block, they will just need to be inspected and the crank may have to be ground. After that is all said and done, I've got a set of Vortec heads that are going to be port/polished/valved (either that, or I'm going to buy a set of already reworked heads from the shop... whichever is cheaper and/or more worth the money) maybe even have them modified a little. I got a nice street/strip Lunati Voodoo cam and lifter set picked out, GM performance TBI Vortec intake manifold, Holley 670 CFM throttle body injection unit, Mallory HEI ignition system, and there you have it.

Basically I am building up a mean Throttle body injected street/strip 350. After the whole block is done, I will pull the 350 out of my truck and swap the rebuilt one in. Then maybe I will rebuild THAT 350 over the course of time. Maybe make it retarded and have it stroked to a 383 ;P.

After the engine, I plan to get a new shorty exhaust system from the header back; true duals with side exits before the rear tires. Eaton Detroit Truetrac rearend (haven't decided if I want to go for the 4.10 gears or not for driveability/gas mileage reasons). Then (hopefully) a built up 4L80E with an automatic/manual valve body kit and a couple of servos. If I can't get my hands on a cheap 4L80E, then I will just build up my 4L60E for now.

After all that, this 5,200 lb. monster 'ought to really haul ass.

Sounds good, but on the 80E tranny its a hole new ball game. I don't think you can get new servos in it. Well thats what my tuner told me. He said a nice shift kit and you are set. What gears do you have now? I just went from 3:42 and a open diff 10 bolt to a 14 bolt posi 4:10 and my mpg actually increased 1 mpg. went from 15.9 to 16.8. Go figure.