Storage Box Under Hood???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scotto2323

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone found a good storage box that could be mounted on the spare battery tray under the hood to free up the rear side?

Looking to store jack and maybe some roadside tools?

GMTech48

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone found a good storage box that could be mounted on the spare battery tray under the hood to free up the rear side?

Looking to store jack and maybe some roadside tools?

how 'bout a battery box sold in a fishing/boating supply store?

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how 'bout a battery box sold in a fishing/boating supply store?

+1

I did a lot of looking a while back for something like this. The best I found was a battery box (box built for containing a battery in case it leaks). I still wasn't too fond of that Idea, so I still don't have anything.

kutza

Reaction score
Cool idea! I have a military surplus water tight ammo box, I will see if that fits in.

scotto2323

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man who would have thought of a battery box to go in the battery tray:appl:

I'm an idiot...

Black Mamba

Reaction score
Man who would have thought of a battery box to go in the battery tray:appl:

I'm an idiot...

We're all idiots to some degree... If you want the contents in the battery box to stay dry and the cover isn't good enough, put everything inside the box into a water tight sea bag first (also found in the marine supply area of most stores).

ZX1100F1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In 1996 the C/K Truck, Tahoe/Suburban all came with a covered under-hood storage box that mounted onto the driver side battery tray.
Shouldn't be too hard to have your local parts guy order the box or even check a few salvage yards.

scotto2323

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In 1996 the C/K Truck, Tahoe/Suburban all came with a covered under-hood storage box that mounted onto the driver side battery tray.
Shouldn't be too hard to have your local parts guy order the box or even check a few salvage yards.

Anyone have any pictures or part numbers?

sgmstr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any pictures or part numbers?

Is that space made for storage? If not, I don't think I want to use it as a storage. It's near the engine and who knows what's going to happen.:ktoe:

scotto2323

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:rolleyes2: ummmmmm....I believe it is made for a holding a battery, being a battery tray and all. If you hit something your truck is going to get all F-ed up anyway, so I do my best to avoid crashing.

smoothfrc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that space made for storage? If not, I don't think I want to use it as a storage. It's near the engine and who knows what's going to happen.:ktoe:

Are you familiar with the area he is speaking about? it is NO WHERE near the engine or any other moving parts. It is up pretty high and will not interfere with anything.

On my 99 sierra, i relocated the jack in the aux battery area.
The battery box is a good idea.

Black Mamba

Reaction score
Why store something under the hood, anyway? Just curious...

Well, because Chevy didn't provide ample storage compartments within the interior for things like jumper cables, tools, tow straps, or anything you might actually need when you drive long distances (especially when you live in BFE and it snows 6 months out of the year).

Seriously, I've had jumper cables, a long tow strap, and some tools mounted in that extra battery tray for quite some time now without problems. Only thing to be aware of spatially is the electronic controller mounted just to the left and below the tray. You don't want anything to rest on the cooling fins and potentially overheat the unit or cause a fire. Other than that, IMO it's a good space for stuff.