Sub in stock location

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

01smellytahoe

Reaction score
I'm sure I'm beating a horse to death but if i was to replace the stock sub with aftermarket, are there 8' subs that won't fit. What subs fit the best. Can I buy any 8 inch and throw it in there?

2004TAHOEZ71

Reaction score
if you are talking about the sub in the rear driver quarter panel? i have a kicker 8" cvt 4ohm. it sounds great. but i had it professionally installed. there are mods you need to make to the box, to get the sub to fit.

bwilly20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you are talking about the sub in the rear driver quarter panel? i have a kicker 8" cvt 4ohm. it sounds great. but i had it professionally installed. there are mods you need to make to the box, to get the sub to fit.

what are you powering it with??? that is one of the models models i've been lookin at.

Big Tap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a JL Audio 8" sub in mine. I think it's a 8W6 if I remember right. I paired it with their Stealth Box in my center console that has a 10W3v3 in it. Combined they sound pretty good together. Not overly loud, but enough bass to give me what I was looking for.

2004TAHOEZ71

Reaction score
i am using a autotek amp i got for $60 online its 400w, nothing special. but it sounds good. it amp is mounted under the rear driver side bucket.

bwilly20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like a decent setup, i dont need a system to win any contests, just a little extra knock-knock, haha. i'd have to find another spot for an amp though cause my DVD player is mounted where your amp is.

Custom73

Reaction score
Saw a pic on this site of a guy that mounted the amp to the side of the factory sub box. Then it's covered buy the trim panel. That's my plan when I finally get around to getting a sub put in...

bwilly20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Saw a pic on this site of a guy that mounted the amp to the side of the factory sub box. Then it's covered buy the trim panel. That's my plan when I finally get around to getting a sub put in...

i was thinking of going that rout too......if my head unit would ever get here.

sp543

Reaction score

phi3nd

Reaction score
Yep! Just unclip the wire harness to disconnect the sub. Then you just unscrew the old sub. I took out the **** insulation that is stock and put some polyfil in it. You can buy that at walmart of a fabric store. I love the kicker sub I replaced my stock sub. Certain songs makes the sub beat a lot harder than the stock speaker can ever do. If you have any more questions let me know.

sp543

Reaction score
what do you mean by unclip the wiring harness? Couldnt i just connect the pos. and neg. wires running into the stock sub and attach them to the kicker? and polyfill is just couch pillow filling right? ill just snag some out of a pillow if it is lol

phi3nd

Reaction score
You could but all you have to do is unclip the harness to take the box out and drop the sub. then you just connect the clips to the positive and negative on the sub. It's super easy. Once you take it apart you'll see what I'm talking about