Superchip, Edge, Diablo or other tuner?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ventu71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the superchips, and I did notice a small increase in mpg. The power is there, according to superchips, with the 87 oct tune you get 17.5hp and 15.9 lb/ft and with the 91 oct, 18.5hp and 16lb/ft, I did feel it. You CAN change the speed limiter, rev limiter, wot shifts tire hight, etc. One drawback though, I noticed it becomes very picky with the gas. Mine did some weird noises when using over 95 oct gas with the performance tune. Between 91 and 93 oct it was ok. with the 87 oct Ive seen nothing wrong. I got mine from autoanything, $399 free overnight shipping. Hope this helps.

Robert

Last edited:

dlz71

Reaction score
Custom Tune Dyno-Numbers

I have a 2007 Z71 - with K&N Cold Air Kit and Flowmaster Catback - I decided to go with a custom tune versus mailorder or chip - mainly due to the fact that there is a shop local to me (Durham, NC) - that owns a dyno and specializes in GM Tuning - Carolina Automasters (www.carolinaautomasters.com); I would gladly attach the dyno sheet - but I'm having technical difficulties attaching it (something about the size not matching up). I would be more than happy to email it to anyone interested.

The numbers are:

My initial run - 264 HP @ 5500 rpm (basically redline); 279 ft-lbs torque @ 4500 rpm

After a few runs/tunes - 262 HP @ 4800 rpm; 298 ft-lbs torque @ 3900 rpm

Key points - I picked up 25 ft-lbs of torque at the real-wheel the entire duration from 2500 to 4500 rpm; I also picked up about 20 hp the entire duration from 2500 to 4200 rpm; You really have to see the sheet to appreciate the difference - it is slightly misleading that I lost 2 HP overall - because that was at redline versus what I gained in all the "driveable" rpm range.

Huge difference in driving the car - the transmission shifts are alot crisper, the throttle response is 100% better - I definitely would recommend this shop to anyone. I can't speak for the gas mpg - I haven't been able to keep my foot out of the gas yet.

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a reason why you aren't getting the 320hp that the engine is supposed to put out? Either there is something wrong with your truck or the way that place measures horsepower is different than the way GM does... Can somebody answer why this could be?

dlz71

Reaction score
the numbers stated from GM (and usually all manufacturers) are rated at the Flywheel - not the rear wheel; This is a MAJOR DIFFERENCE - the dyno numbers that I stated are at the real wheel. Typically - a car/truck loses somewhere between 18 - 23% of HP and TQ - through the drivetrain (there are probably people on this board that know a lot more than me on this - but i think that is good approximate average).

I've heard others that dyno'ed their 2007 Tahoes (stock) - posted in the mid to high 240 range on HP.

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotcha, I had a feeling it would be something like that. Thanks.

OCTAHOE

Reaction score
Just hooked up the Edge this week on my Tahoe and it is the best power mod you can do....Really opened up the flow of the engine on my Tahoe.

gundog

Reaction score
Just hooked up the Edge this week on my Tahoe and it is the best power mod you can do....Really opened up the flow of the engine on my Tahoe.

If and when you get a chance to check the gas mileage, let us know if there is an improvement.

OCTAHOE

Reaction score
I have it set on the power setting right now....I already have to fill up tonight though so I will change the setting and check the milage off a tank this week.
Cheers!

gundog

Reaction score
Ditto,

After extensive research, I purchased the Diablo Predator and I'm pleased with it. I particulary like the extra flexibilty, adjustments available, and the ability to record logs for the purpose of fine tuning with the Predator.