Suspension.... gotta love it

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jpmaniac87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so, my hoe is dropped 2"/3", but the shocks were factory... well, to soften up the ride cause it felt like shocks were bottoming out in the rear, i replaced rear shocks with belltech's nitro drop 2" shock.... well, it lowered my rear end down and DID make it sit TRUELLY level, however, on big bumps, my rear suspension bottoms out to the bumpstops.. should it do this? if i do the bump stop relocation mod (really wanna avoid), will it hurt towing capacity by making the rear end sag? should i just throw some coil spacers down there?? any help would be awesome!

Grebbler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off, no one should be using the bump stops for added towing/hauling capacity :D

I would do the mod or trim the stops and go with air bags for added support. Since they are adjustable, you can tune them how you like. These are better than air shocks as you are not married a crappy shock just to get lift.

Greb

jpmaniac87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never said the bumpstops helped towing capacity. I'm sayin the old shocks seemed like they were because no matter how big a bump i'd hit, the axle wouldn't hit the bumpstop...

Big Tap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm agree with Grebbler about either trimming the bumpstops or possibly buying all new shorter bumpstops. They're pretty inexpensive.

kandywhips504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea mine does the same thing with my nitro 2 shocks, there is another thread on here in the general area that talks about relocating the bump stop and trimming the bracket that holds the bump stop or relocating it to get more travel, i havnt done it yet but see if you can find that thread on it

stephendudra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is called the "Free travel mode". I believe that DJM suspension first came out with it. Do a search for free travel mode on here and I guarantee that you will find it.

If not, look for Boost on here. He can certainly help you with it!