Tahoe 6.2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02tahoeindiana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys im just tryin to find out how well the new 6.2 performs. Compared to the 5.3 or obs. I have a 02 but my dad gave it to me and hes ordering a 09 so i just wondered what to expect. I hear 0-60 in about 6.2, realistic?
Thanks, 02TahoeIndiana

Grillmaster

Reaction score
Low to mid 6 sec 0-60 is VERY realistic. With an after market tune that fixes the awful torque management settings a high 5 sec 0-60 time should be quite doable. And, of course, you can't beat the sound of the 6.2. The 5.3 sounds good (I'm sure real good with your magnaflow), but really isn't even close to the 6.2's rumble.

gmcul8r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had both the 5.3 and 6.2 and there is a night and day difference.

txshriner

Reaction score
there is NO comparison!

the only thing the 5.3 has in common with the 6.2 tahoe is that they are both tahoe's. my friend bought a 5.3 and i bought a 6.2 and other than our driveline our vehicles are identicle. he gets an average in the 14mpg with mixed driving with his 5.3 & i get 17.2 mixed driving. the power difference would be like comparing a geo metro to a corvette! speaking of which i have a 08 vette and actually like my LTZ tahoe better.

z71offroader

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the 6.2l is a bada$$ motor i wish i had it in my ho! dont get me wrong the 5.3l is a good motor so is the 6.0 but that 6.2 is a hoss! we had a new escalade for a rental last summer in florida and it was fun to drive, i wish it had atleast 3:73 if not 4:10 gears in it instead of 3:42s tho. id really like to drive one regeared with a intake/exhuast/programmer on it!

MOBANN1

Reaction score
Wait a minute....... So your saying you can buy a new Tahoe with the 6.2l in it?

I thought only the Denalis and Escalades came with that size engine.

High4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 6.2 will be available on '09s (along with standard six speed tranny).

Mortifer

Reaction score
Wait a minute....... So your saying you can buy a new Tahoe with the 6.2l in it?

I thought only the Denalis and Escalades came with that size engine.

You can get a Tahoe with the 6.2L, but they only come in 2WD models for 2008. In 09 is when you will be able to get it on a 4WD model.

MOBANN1

Reaction score
You can get a Tahoe with the 6.2L, but they only come in 2WD models for 2008. In 09 is when you will be able to get it on a 4WD model.

Is it a special order?

Or can we find these on dealer lots?

txshriner

Reaction score
Is it a special order?

Or can we find these on dealer lots?

there are a few out there. when i bought mine last month the only one available was a ruby red. naturally my dealer got a black one in which is exactly what i want! il sell mine that is just a month old. it gets 17-18 in mixed driving and strictly highway will hit 20.