Thoughts on the power running boards?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeFester

Reaction score
I have an 08 LTZ Tahoe. It has the power running board option.

IMO, I think something is lost in the look of the truck, but not having them out all the time.

Anyone agree? What are pro's of having them?

georgiawj

Reaction score
I have the regular flat ones cause i drive down some gravel driveways and they always leave little rocks wedged in the tires waiting to fly out and chip my paint. The power ones didnt seem to provide as much protection and there is no way im putting mud flaps on this thing.

Plus they come in handy to reach up on the roof without opening the doors when i wash it.

Other than that i actually like the look of the power ones better, but it didnt make sense to me (not to mention the tahoe i found with everything i wanted didnt have them)

YukonMud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the look without them and having them is nice for those with kids/significant others that are shorter. I personally took mine off but might put some power ones on at some point.

Godti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question: When you have a door open does it fold both down or just the side that the door is open? Also, there is no way to have them come down with out the door open?

YukonMud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it is electronic there whould be a way to add a button to control them manually or overide the doors.

sdoo25

Reaction score
Question: When you have a door open does it fold both down or just the side that the door is open? Also, there is no way to have them come down with out the door open?

Just the side of the door that you open folds down (driver side door, only driver side running board comes down). There is an override switch on the dash that will disable the running boards, we've never used it so I assume that it works.

Tom

DeFester

Reaction score
The button on the console will shut off the automatic, but will keep them tucked under the vehicle at all times.

Does anyone know of a way to disengage them but stay in the out position?

hbrbmx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a set for an XL for sale, cheap :D Requires an $85 harness according to my dealer.

jlcvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish I could order a Z71 with out running boards. I think the tahoe looks lower to the ground with the boards on.

TN Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the look of the fixed running boards vs the power myself, and power version provides no protection against rocks flying off the front tires. JMHO

MOBANN1

Reaction score
I have the regular flat ones cause i drive down some gravel driveways and they always leave little rocks wedged in the tires waiting to fly out and chip my paint. The power ones didn't seem to provide as much protection and there is no way I'm putting mud flaps on this thing.

Plus they come in handy to reach up on the roof without opening the doors when i wash it.

Other than that i actually like the look of the power ones better, but it didn't make sense to me (not to mention the Tahoe i found with everything i wanted didn't have them)

Actually these steps have an anti-pinch feature, if you open the door and stand on the step then close the door the steps will stay down.

And as for the gravel roads and no protection, as soon as you leave the caliche or gravel open your door and close it again but don't let it latch. That will leave your steps out for protection until those rocks are clear from your tires.

I have the Amp Research Power steps in my truck and love them!

8472-12174-203651.jpg

georgiawj

Reaction score
Actually these steps have an anti-pinch feature, if you open the door and stand on the step then close the door the steps will stay down.

And as for the gravel roads and no protection, as soon as you leave the caliche or gravel open your door and close it again but don't let it latch. That will leave your steps out for protection until those rocks are clear from your tires.

I have the Amp Research Power steps in my truck and love them!

8472-12174-203651.jpg

Crap.. What are you telling me all this for. Now i wish i had them :D