Throttle Body cleaning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MarcNJ

Reaction score
I have read over a few pages of topics on throttle body cleaning and watched a few videos on youtube. I just want to clarify a few details before I do anything since this is my daily driver... I have a 2003 Tahoe with the 5.3 regular fuel. I had a bad idle problem about a year and a half ago. Cleaning the throttle body was the solution, but I took it to a shop since I thought it was A/C related. The idle was bouncing around when the air was on.
It was fine for a year. Now its idling rough and my MPG is really down. I'm going to start with the throttle body cleaning. I picked up the Sea Foam Deep creep already. I am planning to leave the throttle body on. From what I have seen a read it is ok to clean it up this way. Some topics and video state it is ok to carefully open up up the throttle plate and clean it out. Is that ok? Also, they say to clean around the IAC opening. Should I avoid spraying right into the hole or should I do that? Should I disconnect the battery when I do this? I was planning to use a rag and old toothbrush if needed. Am I missing anything? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Hopefully it is this easy?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnWiOrnVk28

Colesdad

Reaction score
your not getting a check engine light?

how bad has your gas mileage fallen off? and is it only running rough at idle?

MarcNJ

Reaction score
I got about 265 to a tank and i was getting about 330 before. It's only rough at idle and there might be a little stumble off idle, but it seems drive fine otherwise and no check engine light.

Donut Slayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aint gonna hurt anything cleaning the TB. But there is a lot to fuel mileage than just a clean TB. Spark plugs, O2 sensors, heck even winter vs Summer fuel blends will affect mileage.

MarcNJ

Reaction score
Yeah, so far I cleaned the throttle body, cleaned the k&n filter and changed the pcv valve. My mpg has gone back up. I'm already over the mpg I was getting with still a quarter tank to go. I also changed the fuel filter Friday and that was pretty clogged. It idles and drives better now also, but I do feel like there is still a slight shake at idle. Also, the plugs are only a year and a half old. The o2 sensor has not been changed as far as I know.