to those who have replaced fuel filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a fuel filter this evening, plan to replace it soon... i am already aware of what a pain in the ass it is to get the "quick connect" off... i heard needle nose pliers get it done... but i plan to hack sawthe filter off and fiddle with the connection after that. few questions

has anyone run into any problems while doing this?

Do i need to relieve pressure in the line first? if so, how do i go about doing this?

has anyone successfully done this with needle nose pliers? I really dont want to buy a special tool

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd imagine pulling the pump fuse and trying to start the truck would depressurize the system. Mine wasn't too bad except for being covered in fuel, took maybe 20minutes in my driveway the next one will be done at work where I should have tried it in the first place. I used no special tools just some pliers and make sure you wear safety glasses.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Better yet, locate the fuse that you think controls the fuel pump, then with the truck running pull the fuse, the truck should run for a split second or 2longer and then sputter out, if it dies right away or keeps running then it's probably not the fuse. Otherwise, just get the connectors close to coming off of the fuel filter and then with a rag around it pull off the hoses, either way works!!

unlukky

Reaction score
No on the hacksaw. :eek2:
Even without pulling fuse, its not that big of a deal to replace fuel filter. You'll see. Piece of cake.

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea, i got under there and took a gander around and didnt see how the pliers was going to work.... but i only spent a second peaking around

when you bought your fuel filter, did it have the plastic clip on it? The fuel filter i bought has that plastic clip on the male end of the filter and i am hoping i got the right filter... do i just remove the plastic clip and role?

Ojustracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
but i plan to hack sawthe filter off and fiddle with the connection after that. [/QUOTE/]

As someone that fix's cars for a living, I've done that a time or 2 or 3.:eek::ack::hlp: The last one was a Flex fuel suburban and didnt have the correct tool. Some times you have to just suck it up.

John

radkon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea, i got under there and took a gander around and didnt see how the pliers was going to work.... but i only spent a second peaking around

when you bought your fuel filter, did it have the plastic clip on it? The fuel filter i bought has that plastic clip on the male end of the filter and i am hoping i got the right filter... do i just remove the plastic clip and role?

Yep, remove the plastic clip on the replacement filter and you're good to go. The plastic clip's function is now replaced by a set of metal "teeth" which hold the filter in place. Thats why nothing else worked for me. The right tool made this a no brainer and took 10 secs to get the filter off.

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea i just found it on ebay for under $15 shipped... figure i plan to keep the truck for a while now so why not invest the 15 gebronies to make life easier for the next few fuel filter changes

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i will let you know, i have only had my truck for 10k miles... so i will let you know... however, when i get the tool i need to change out the fuel filter, i will be replacing the fuel filter, as well as sea foaming my entire motor and changing my oil all at once, so if it does ride better, it may or may not be the fuel filter... but this isnt going to be for a few more days as i am waiting for the disconnect tool to arive in the mail

Ojustracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry if it's a dumb question but, can you tell the difference in how it rides when you replace the filter?

If the filter is plugged up to a point of not being able to move enought fuel yes it can improve performance. Why it is so important to change the filter on modern fuel injected vehciles. The harder the pump has to work the shorter the life it will have. A plugged filter cause's the pump to work harder to maintain the same psi. Its cheap insurance to replace.

Since gasoline prices started moving up 4yrs ago or so. I have been seeing issue with the newer fuels. More filters with nasty looking crap in them after not so many miles. If the filter has been on the truck for a while dump the inlet end into a white container and you will see what im talking about.. Its been talked about in the auto industry that the newer sulfur compounds in the fuels. This is what attacks the swipers in the fuel level gauges. and GM even game out with a different gas tank additive to combat this.

John

DaKing602

Reaction score
Thanks, I will be sure to replace it soon. I've only had my Yukon for about 10k miles but who knows how long it's been since they changed it out.

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tool came in the mail yesterday... took about 45 minutes - 1 hour from start to finish...

that was some seriously nasty gass pouring out the gas line... is there a way to clean out the gas tank without droping the entire thing?

Ojustracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As for cleaning the tank with removing NO. Tomorrow I'll see if I can come up with the Part number of the GM fuel system treatment that supposed to help with the newer stlye fuels.

What color was it. blackish/brown...

John

bigsexy408

Reaction score
i just did mine yesterday i got a 03 , and you could pull the fuse but i said screw it and i just lifted the truck got my 16mm and 20mm tube wrenches and some rags a bottle of carb cleaner

1. spray the hell out of the connections, keeps dirt/grime from getting in the filter
2. use the wrenches to loosen the connections. then tie a rag around the pipe loosely,
3. then unclip the fuel line closest to the engine and twist the filter out (tighten rags to catch the fuel)
4. spray down the connections again to get the loose dirt
5. twist in the fuel filter into the holder and connector
6. finger tight the connections and then snug up with the wrenches. then tighten connections dont go super tight (spec is 18nm) and dont hang on the connections because thats the last thing you want to do is break or bend the connection.(remember fuel filter is directional)
7. cycle the key atleast 5 time for 10 sec on and 10 sec off so fuel can get back to the injectors and it should start right up. dont forget to check the fuel filter for leaks after its running. @ around 60 psi you will see a leak right away

good luck

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As for cleaning the tank with removing NO. Tomorrow I'll see if I can come up with the Part number of the GM fuel system treatment that supposed to help with the newer stlye fuels.

What color was it. blackish/brown...

John

for sure more black.. actually has solid chunks of blank funk! like i put a healthy dose of pepper in my gas! I will take a picture tomorrow, it was worse then i thought it would be.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that's the reason for a fuel filter on rigs, I have never changed a filter when I felt it was time and had a result like you have, it always end up with me saying" why did I waste my time changing this out!!", the fuel on the tank side has always looked pretty good on my rigs. I would look into cleaning out your tank for sure, good way to prevent problems in the future, glad to hear someone happy about changing a fuel filter, maybe I will change the one in my denali and finally get renewed hope on changing them again.