to those who have replaced fuel filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if it had taken me much longer, i would have been a little upset, however i didnt have my truck on jack stands or a ramp or anything, i think i could have saved some time by elevating the truck. It may have been a worthless endevor, but i am happy that i got it done, i plan on keeping this truck for a very very long time so i want to keep it running as good as possible...

I also cleaned my MAF and throttle body along with the fuel filter.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope you weren't thinking it was a worthless venture, I was just saying that all of mine seemed to be that, worthless. You found less than perfect gas going into your filter, gives you a chance to clean out the tank before something happens because of the gunk (plugged filter leaving you stranded out of town or something).

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I changed out my filter today on my denali, by far the easiest filter change I have ever done, in and out in 5 minutes, can't believe how easy it was to get to. I didn't have any black gunk but the fuel wasn't the most pristine so it was a worthy venture.

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
was your clipped in with a black bracket? Mine wasnt so easy to get off because it was basicly held in with a black bracket that was bolted to the frame

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah it was held on by that strap, I loosed up both bolts and kinda tapped it and it just slid out (after I unscrewed the fuel fittings first). I did jack up the side of the truck some so I could use my creeper, it was suprisingly easy compared to the ones I've done in the past!!

rockman20

Reaction score
So why is there a difference in clips between regular fuel and flex? I just did my 04 Yukon XL a few weekends ago. I didn't spend a whole lot of time before I just grabbed the saw and cut it off since I didn't have the tool. (Fire extinguisher nearby just in case.)

What I found was what appeared like a previous owner attempt. First off, it didn't appear like they used line wrenches due to some rounded edges on the fittings. It also appears like they never did get it off. Truck has under 80,000 miles on it and the fuel coming back out was black. Looked like old, runny, oil. When I looked at the connector on the end going towards the engine, they had screwed up the teeth in there something severe. They were all mangled. I ended up not even being able to get them to release the filter stub. I had to bust them out of there using some small allen wrenches to get in there to bend them out.

The new filter came with the plastic clip. It snapped in fine and I have not had a leak since. But now I read this post and am a little concerned. I am guessing that the flex fuel vehicles did not use the plastic clip because the E85 will eventually eat them? I don't really ever plan on running E85, but if this is the case, I better think about curing this issue before I forget!

(Sorry for the hijack!)

pwrstroker00

Reaction score
When I changed the fuel filter on our Tahoe (Flex Fuel) I went to the local Chevy dealership for it. It was a genuine GM part that had the plastic clip on it. My guess is that the plastic clip on the filter I got (I told the parts guy the filter was for an 04 Flex Fuel Tahoe) is just fine. It serves the same function as the original metal clip, it keeps the filter from backing out of the fitting at the front.

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I changed the fuel filter on our Tahoe (Flex Fuel) I went to the local Chevy dealership for it. It was a genuine GM part that had the plastic clip on it. My guess is that the plastic clip on the filter I got (I told the parts guy the filter was for an 04 Flex Fuel Tahoe) is just fine. It serves the same function as the original metal clip, it keeps the filter from backing out of the fitting at the front.

Im pretty sure my fuel filter was the original factory filter... no plastic clip. but if it works, then i dont see the problem

wyoming54

Reaction score
So, are there 2 types of fuel filter connections? 1 for Flex Fuel & another for non Flex Fuel? I'm going to be changing out the fuel filter on my gf's 2000 tahoe 5.3. Any help is greatly appreciated!