Transmission Temperature

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sgmstr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw a post online when your transmission temperature goes over 200 degrees, it damage your transmission. I took to trip to Palm Springs, CA (it was more than 110 degrees in Palm Springs) last weekend and the transmission temperature was almost always over 200 degrees in highway. Did it really go over 200 degrees? Should I trust DIC?

What can be done to prevent the overheating? Is transmission cooler the only solution? I appreciate your feedback. Thanks in advance.

Gatorbait

Reaction score
A transmission cooler is always a good idea. I believe these trucks come with synthetic tranny fluid which can handle the higher temps a lot better than traditional tranny fluid. However I would not like to see my tranny running at that temp very often. Before I added the tranny cooler to mine I would run around 180, now with the cooler I sit around 160. Towing it usually goes up around 170. You want the fluid to get warm but not hot. 200 seems pretty hot for highway driving. I would add a cooler.

turboedmsp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its hot in houston where i live and running around with no trailer my trans temp gets very close to 200 degrees. i thought the ltz models came with tranny coolers.

tbully

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone correct me if I'm wrong here because my data is dated about 8-10 years......

Most vehicles (used to?) use 195 degree thermostats. Because the radiator is used to cool both the engine and the transmission, using seperate cores for water and trans fluid of course, your trans temps will stay at or near your engine temps. This is especially true if you don't have an external cooler.

In addition to it sharing the same cooling device, the transmission is directly connected to the engine also keeping the two near the same temps.

The trans is certainly capable of going beyond the engine temp if it is put under stress which goes beyond the capabilities of the cooling resources.

Just some possible food for thought.....

Last edited:

AZSCTACO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here in AZ last week when it was 116 degrees.....my temp was playing around 200-206 degrees.

sgmstr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've towed two jet skies and a trailer that weigh approximately 2,500 lbs gross. My wife along with my two boys and two Golden Retrievers were also riding with me. And of course, beers, coke, snacks, etc. That would make the total weight about 3,200 lbs.

Yes, I do have an aux transmission cooler installed in my Hoe. There were almost no hills in the area I drove to. My transmission still goes over 200 degrees. What gives? Maybe the cooler is not working correctly or transmission is malfunctioning?

Rafael

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just means you'll have to change your fluid more often than if it runs at 180.

ZX1100F1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No need for much concern unless you get trans temps over 225F.
However; the cooler the better when it comes to the transmission.