Trouble with TPMS Sensors on '07 Tahoe..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MCF34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced the stock 20's with new ones, but I physically watched the wheel shop put the stock sensors back in place. When the new wheels were installed, I also had the tires rotated (~4000 miles). All four sensors were working fine and adjusting based on ambient air temperature and driving time, but obviously were not reading the right pressure for the correct tire location.

I have tried and tried to learn positions per the manual but can never get the horn to chirp when letting air out of or adding air to the driver side front tire....is the horn supposed to chirp while you are actually adding/removing air or can you add/remove air for 5-10 seconds and then wait for the horn to chirp??? Is there a trick or something to this re-learning??

Now that I have let so much air out and added air to the drivers side front tire, I get the message 'Service Tire Monitor System" which I assume I am getting because after many attempts of letting out and adding a lot of air I could never get the the horn chirp. I am also getting the '--' reading for all four tires.

Tahoe07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dealer can relearn to get you back on track.

Once you hit the relearn in the cabin (on DIC) you only have so long to get started and to get from tire to tire. You have to let air for quite awhile (without stopping) I would guess I've let air out for almost 30 secs sometimes. The horn will beep eventually beep WHILE you are letting air out.

Good luck

MCF34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks..

The dealer can relearn to get you back on track.

Once you hit the relearn in the cabin (on DIC) you only have so long to get started and to get from tire to tire. You have to let air for quite awhile (without stopping) I would guess I've let air out for almost 30 secs sometimes. The horn will beep eventually beep WHILE you are letting air out.

Good luck

Is it the actualy horn that has to beep because during letting air out process, I have heard the 'chirp beep' (not the horn, but the computer chirp that you hear a couple seconds after locking car or the double chirp you hear when unlocking car)? I assume it has to be the actual horn 'honking', correct?

Also, I assume the warning message I am getting is just because I half way did the re-learn process and something is not messed up??

Thanks!

MCF34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks...

But no help once so ever...I have the stock sensors in the new 20" wheels...they were all reading accurately until I tried to re-learn them. When the re-learn sequence did not work, that is when I got the error message and can NOT get front driver side to register (i.e. horn honk). I have just got back from another gas station and did the process as described and got the double horn chirp to start the learn process and the DIC states, "In Learn Mode" and I let pressure out from about 35psig down to about 5-10psig using a phillips head screwdriver and NEVER got the honk....any suggestions?

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It worked for me........

What type of wheels did you put on?
Could they be interfering with the transfer of signal to the transducer inside the brake disk?
I'm not fully understanding how they work, but it has to be a sender on the valve stem and the receiver on the brake hub. Must be an RF signal , right?
Maybe JK or Brod will chime in......

MCF34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Old Goat...

Thanks for your help. The first time I tried, I did let it out for about 10-15 seconds and decided to move to tire #2...I did then get a honk but figured I had messed up. Maybe next time I try, I will let out for 10 seconds and then stop and see if there is a honk. Are we 100% sure we are talking about an actual horn honk for the first tire as I do hear a 'chirp' while let air out of the first tire....does the chirp have anything to do with it!?!? Maybe let air out until you hear the chirp and then stop and wait for the horn or something??? Gosh this is frustrating...hehehe....

MCF34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Progress, but no success...

Another trip to the gas station (crazy and fun Saturday night) and I did let air out for about 15-20 seconds and stopped. After about 10 seconds I got the honk...yippee!!!!! Moved to tire number 2, but after about 10 seconds of letting air out of that one, I got a double honk and the DIC said, "Left Front Tire Low"...so the system is working, just being a real b*tch to get to calibrate. When I turned the key to the off position, it went back to '--' readings and stating "Service Monitor....". Any suggestions? Is the fact that it is pretty cold outside maybe have anything to do with it...this is quite frustrating and I know if I go to the dealer to have them calibrate it it is going to cost me an arm and a leg.....

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A lot of folks have been having problems with the new rubber TPMS units. Most had to go to the dealer to get reset.

MCF34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks...

A lot of folks have been having problems with the new rubber TPMS units. Most had to go to the dealer to get reset.

I am going to stop by the dealer today and hopefully they will reset it for me for free with not too long of wait..hehehe..yeah right.

MCF34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those of you having a problem re-setting your TPMS sensors, do yourself a favor and go to the dealership, but more importantly, make sure you get someone there that knows how to use their handheld device. At first, I got the guy behind the counter and he couldn't get the device to recognize the signal and he started saying things like,"Well, these aftermarket wheels interfere....blah blah blah"...how could one aluminum wheel be different than another. A tech heard what he said and took the device and said, "Go do some some paperwork so I can get this gentleman out of here"...the tech held the antenna of the device to the sidewall where the transmitter is (at valve stem)...the guy behind the service counter was pointing it at the end of the stem itself. The tech finished the job in less than 15 seconds....Happy Day!!!

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those of you having a problem re-setting your TPMS sensors, do yourself a favor and go to the dealership, but more importantly, make sure you get someone there that knows how to use their handheld device. At first, I got the guy behind the counter and he couldn't get the device to recognize the signal and he started saying things like,"Well, these aftermarket wheels interfere....blah blah blah"...how could one aluminum wheel be different than another. A tech heard what he said and took the device and said, "Go do some some paperwork so I can get this gentleman out of here"...the tech held the antenna of the device to the sidewall where the transmitter is (at valve stem)...the guy behind the service counter was pointing it at the end of the stem itself. The tech finished the job in less than 15 seconds....Happy Day!!!

do you pay anything, if so how much?

Tahoe07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still sounds like you are NOT letting air out long enough. Let air out UNTIL it honks. Do not stop letting air out. Forget how long it says. It may take longer. You must get a honk on LF before you move to the next and so on.

Once you start programming, it is looking for info from the LF. As you are letting air out the sensor sends that data. The computer then knows which sensor is in that location. It beeps to say 'I know which sensor is in LF'. you go to the next and let air out so the truck will know which sensor is in RF etc. If you don't get a honk don't move on. It is still looking for the snesor at LF and you are letting air out of anothre one.

Listen for HONK. the beeps mean nothing once you start. After you are done you can air up and deal with low pressure warning.

MCF34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried and tried and tried..

Still sounds like you are NOT letting air out long enough. Let air out UNTIL it honks. Do not stop letting air out. Forget how long it says. It may take longer. You must get a honk on LF before you move to the next and so on.

Literally, I got the LF down to the rim twice...there was no air left to let out..I got tired of pumping in quarters and doing over and over and over...I got the techs name and gave him a nice tip....next time, I drive 4 blocks to the dealer and pull him out in the parking lot. Done.....

Once you start programming, it is looking for info from the LF. As you are letting air out the sensor sends that data. The computer then knows which sensor is in that location. It beeps to say 'I know which sensor is in LF'. you go to the next and let air out so the truck will know which sensor is in RF etc. If you don't get a honk don't move on. It is still looking for the snesor at LF and you are letting air out of anothre one.

Listen for HONK. the beeps mean nothing once you start. After you are done you can air up and deal with low pressure warning.

Literally, I got the LF down to the rim twice...there was no air left to let out..I got tired of pumping in quarters and doing over and over and over...I got the techs name and gave him a nice tip....next time, I drive 4 blocks to the dealer and pull him out in the parking lot. Done.....