turn signal clicker keeps clicking.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Redcorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I signalled for a lane change on the highway and now the turn signal clicker keeps clicking and wont stop. the green turn signal arrows on the dash aren't doing anything and I pulled over and looked and the outside lights weren't doing anything even though it was clicking. The outside lights all seem to be working fine, just that clicker wont stop.

If I turn the power off the clicking is gone but as soon as I turn it back on it's there again.

This happened to me a few times last week, not as bad. I would push the brakes and hear a buzzing sound of the clicker going retarded real fast or something, or sometimes just a single click when I push the brakes, sometimes a few minutes of clicking after using the brake or turn signal.

I saw I had ice on the trailer light wires (no trailer, just wires) and thought it might be shorting something out so I cleared it off, no more clicking, I thought I had fixed the problem but it's back today.

Any ideas?

SSport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try changing the relay under the dash. If that doesn't do it, you have the infamous steering cloumn problem. Something in the steering column has to be replaced and from what I've heard other people say, it's over $300.

I had the same problem but believe it or not, it went away. I have not had the problem in over a year now...lol

John Redcorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What relay is it that I should replace?

And what in the steering column if that doesn't do it?

I've done some searching with google and found a lot of people saying their problem like this was the "multifunction switch" (turn signal/wiper/cruise stick) needed replaced.

Anyone know how to do this? Alldata says steering wheel and a bunch of other steering column stuff needs to come off, a friend of mine is a gm tech and told me another guy up there said I should just be able to take the covers off the column and get to it without taking a whole bunch of crap off.

John Redcorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found this other thread: http://www.tahoeforum.com/showthread.php?t=15578

and they're saying wheel doesnt have to come off. One poster in there said he had a write-up on it and to search for his name, I did a post history on him but can't find anything, I'll keep looking.

Some weird updates:

My brake lights weren't coming on yesterday unless you puished the pedal real hard. I had just replaced the brake light switch a month ago. I pulled it out and looked at it, everything looks fine.

I put it back in and now no brake lights at all!

If I pull it out still wired up and push on the plunger with a screwdriver the brake lights do come on, weird. I just bought another brake light switch, borg warner this time instead of autozone house brand.

edit: crap. looks like bad wires are making brake lights not work. I put in the new switch and still no lights. I pulled it down, pushed with a screwdriver and they come on. if I move the wires some they go off. I guess pushing real hard was moving the wires just right and making them work. I've got the wires zip tied now in a good position. I guess I'll wire me up some kind of led inside for brake lights so I'll know if they ever quit again.

Also the constant clicking seems to stop when the steering wheel is at a certain angle, so maybe my multifunction lever isn't completely bad, maybe something just needs cleaned up in there.

Last edited:

SSport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the relay is a greyish/blackish color that is rectangular in shape. under your dash to the left of the steering wheel. It's like an $8 part from pep boys. If you are still unsure what it looks like, go into your local auto parts store and ask them for a blinker relay for your truck. They should be able to look it up. Since mine didn't do the trick, I had no problem returning it, just check the return policy.

John Redcorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the relay is a greyish/blackish color that is rectangular in shape. under your dash to the left of the steering wheel. It's like an $8 part from pep boys. If you are still unsure what it looks like, go into your local auto parts store and ask them for a blinker relay for your truck. They should be able to look it up. Since mine didn't do the trick, I had no problem returning it, just check the return policy.

Oh the flasher, I tried a new one of those at lunchtime today too. No luck. that'd be too easy.

41racing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most of the time you can remove the multifunction switch and clean it. If you remove it you have to carefully disassemble it, be careful not to let any springs or balls go flying. Now look at the contacts and where they move. You'll notice grease bridging the gap between the fixed part of the contact. You need to clean out the grease in the gap. What happens (i think) is that as the switch contacts wear they deposit particles into the grease. After enough is deposited in the grease it makes a connection between the two sides and lets enough voltage pass to click the flasher/relay. I've fixed many gm vehicles by doing this. If you break it, loose parts or it don't work, you're not out anything as you would have to replace it anyway. Let me know if it works for you.

John Redcorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most of the time you can remove the multifunction switch and clean it. If you remove it you have to carefully disassemble it, be careful not to let any springs or balls go flying. Now look at the contacts and where they move. You'll notice grease bridging the gap between the fixed part of the contact. You need to clean out the grease in the gap. What happens (i think) is that as the switch contacts wear they deposit particles into the grease. After enough is deposited in the grease it makes a connection between the two sides and lets enough voltage pass to click the flasher/relay. I've fixed many gm vehicles by doing this. If you break it, loose parts or it don't work, you're not out anything as you would have to replace it anyway. Let me know if it works for you.

Is any of that stuff in a position I could hit it with some aerosol solvent? possibly without taking anything out/off except the column covers? then evaporate the solvent with lots of air?

Or is it all in a bad position or so delicate that disassemble and use qtips and magnifying glass type thing?

41racing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't use a magnifying glass or anything like that. I just get a can of electrical contact cleaner and blast it in there. Let it air dry and then reassemble it. I also like to put a little dielectric grease back in too, not much, just enough to keep things from grinding together. You can't do anything until you take it all apart.

John Redcorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to try to check it out today, but I guess other people have other plans for me. Maybe tomorrow.

Weirdly enough, I have a friend with a diesel F-350 with the exact same problem. clicks all the time but all the lights work right and it stops clicking when he's on the brake. he noticed it when he was riding with me yesterday and said his has been doing it since he got it a year ago.