Umm muffler or just buy a whole system?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

e-dub75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My fellow Tahoe owners, I come to you with questions that has me saying.....hmmmm?

Okay so I want to put an exhaust on my truck that has a small rumble to it but not too loud b/c the truck is my work truck.

So my first question is: Which type of exhaust is going to give me more rumble then my factory exhaust but not loud enuff to confuse me with a monster truck?

Second question: Do I need to buy a whole exhaust or just the muffler? I saw this Tahoe somewhere on the net (look below). The rear is a custom job so would it make since for me to buy the pipes or just buy a muffler and let the shop use their pipes to bend it this way?

While people have pictures of their love ones or pets in there cubicles I have a picture of a Tahoe (that's not even mine)! :smilielol:

Pictures below. As for the tips... I'm thinking of buying four chevy tails and getting them put on.

Attachments

• exhaust.jpg
    exhaust.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 54
  • exhaust2.jpg
    exhaust2.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 45
  • exhaust3.jpg
    exhaust3.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 36
  • chevy tip.jpg
    chevy tip.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 24

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would ay just buy a muffler and tip.
I bought a Polished Stainless Magnaflow 22" Muffler for about $140 and a 6" double walled tip for $60, VHT High Temp Flat back paint for $10(used to paint the whole cat-back piping), and then had it all installed for $75
Total= $285.
I like the result, there's a pic below

Attachments

• GEDC0294.jpg
    GEDC0294.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 50

e-dub75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I was thinking that also.

Where did you get your muffler from? I am looking for a single intake and dual exit. I am a big Ebayer but haven't had much time to search on there yet.

I also heard that a "touring" setup would be the best for me for the upgraded sound but not too loud. Wonder if I can find a touring muffler?

e-dub75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BUMP.

Wow, I'm surprised no one else is responding. Anyone else just buy a muffler? Anyone else buy a muffler that is for dual outs on each side of the vehicle? If so do you mind posting the link on where you purchased it from?

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Magnaflow muffler just like Nnaboy however everything else is stock. Just got the muffler from a local shop and they installed all for ~$160. Also look at Flowmaster SUV series. Magnaflow for smooth V8 sound and Flowmaster for classic truck sound.

This topic has been discussed a lot and there are many threads. Probably why there are not many responses.

chevyhoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
heres what my local car shop told me" there is no way kid" but i see all these i simply asked is there any way to get it to come out on both sides liek the truck above... if i had to guess all they did was use a tube bender and bent the cats in and then put duel tips on... i highly doubt they are true duels from the headers

e-dub75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
heres what my local car shop told me" there is no way kid" but i see all these i simply asked is there any way to get it to come out on both sides liek the truck above... if i had to guess all they did was use a tube bender and bent the cats in and then put duel tips on... i highly doubt they are true duels from the headers

Oh I know that true duels is not an option. I was just wondering where those with duels hanging out the back got their 1 in 2 out mufflers and if they bought the whole system off of line or did they just buy the mufflers and take it to the shop.

And of course where did they get the muffler from. I might just wait to take it to my shop in MS, show them the pictures and tell them to make it happen.

I figured that it would save me some cash if I already had the muffler in hand though.

chevyhoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if i had to guess i would say that they bought a mid pip and a cat back and got a duel out the side and then brought the whole thing to them and they bent it then put the tips on it but i could be wrong.. i wish i could find a way to do them before the tire ... my friend did it to an older tahoe and it looks raw but passengers burn them self when they get out of the truck very often and i havent figured out how to do it yet...

oneradride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Search Stillen on google or ebay.. I researched this about 2 years ago when I purchased my cat back system and I found a ‘Stillen’ cat back system shipped to my door for 110.00. I opened the box to find out it was a brand new magnaflow muffler with stainless pipes & dual stainless tips!!!!

Apparently this was some factory upgrade and they can’t use the name magnaflow name for some reason… I don’t really care, I got a smoke’n deal!
I found one.. for an older truck and you may have to modify this a bit but for under 200.00 you can’t really go wrong.

e-dub75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Search Stillen on google or ebay.. I researched this about 2 years ago when I purchased my cat back system and I found a ‘Stillen’ cat back system shipped to my door for 110.00. I opened the box to find out it was a brand new magnaflow muffler with stainless pipes & dual stainless tips!!!!

Apparently this was some factory upgrade and they can’t use the name magnaflow name for some reason… I don’t really care, I got a smoke’n deal!
I found one.. for an older truck and you may have to modify this a bit but for under 200.00 you can’t really go wrong.

Man, I wish you knew where you got that from. Sounds like you got a great deal for $110.

That ebay link got me happy too but that listing is for just a tip not a muffler. :cryin:

slmann12

Reaction score
I actually saw your thread soon after I submitted mine and thought i looked rather foolish... But anyways, I am not sure where I will make my purchase from but I keep finding myself at 4wheelonline.com... I have not heard that about the brake lines, but that doesnt surprise me. The only problem I have heard is due to the spare tire. I still feel like anything is possible if you want it to happen badly enough.... When i take the plunge i will be sure to let you know. I do have a question though... have you heard of any drone problems with Magnaflow? I have similar wants out of performance exhaust as you, I would like for it to sound more aggressive but nothing overpowering. Drone would drive me insane.

Also, can you find black tips anywhere, or do they have to be painted? If they have to be painted, would a typical exhaust shop be able to do that?

e-dub75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Page 1 post#8 Will explain where I got the brake lines and wheels.
http://www.tahoeforum.com/showthread.php?t=4123&page=3

Yes I also read on here on a post about someone complaing about Magnaflow and it have an annoying drone. Person said that they end up selling the Denali before they cut it off.

I see alot of Flowmaster mufflers but I think flow master will be too loud for what I want. But back to the duals and spare tire.... I think it is possible. Flowmaster actually makes a dual exhaust system for a tahoe that has a tip behind each tire. (pic below)

Now I think how it is shaped it should wrap right around the spare tire!! I might end up calling flowmaster an seeing how loud the exhaust is. If it is okay then I might buy the system and just get the shop to cut part of the pipes and rebend the way I want and add two tips on each side.

Seems like the best hope yet.

Attachments

• flowdual.jpg
    flowdual.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 10

omar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the shop that did mine said no way...... so I ended up having to remove the spare to get the dual tips coming straight out the back.

e-dub75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the shop that did mine said no way...... so I ended up having to remove the spare to get the dual tips coming straight out the back.

Well did they tell you why?

I'm looking at that flowmaster exhaust sytem (even though I think flowmaster will be too loud) and I am wondering.... why can't they cut at the where the pipe for the tip meets the rest of the pipe and just bend and weld a new pipe and tip on (that turns straight out or torward the middle like I want)?:confused:

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen a few of the dual type exhausts for tahoes on the road. They all looked custom and still had the spare tire.

e-dub, it looks like that flowmaster catback should work and your shop could modify.

I actually prefer the sound of the flowmaster but the magnflow was a good compromise with the wife. The magnaflow has no drone with my setup (all stock pipe with resonator). It seems like people with the magnaflow drone problem had an exhaust without the OEM resonator.

e-dub75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen a few of the dual type exhausts for tahoes on the road. They all looked custom and still had the spare tire.

e-dub, it looks like that flowmaster catback should work and your shop could modify.

I actually prefer the sound of the flowmaster but the magnflow was a good compromise with the wife. The magnaflow has no drone with my setup (all stock pipe with resonator). It seems like people with the magnaflow drone problem had an exhaust without the OEM resonator.

Do you know if magnaflow has a setup like the flowmaster? I've had flowmasters before and I usually when someone says they want flowmaster... it means they want to be loud.

I'm an insurance adjuster and I just don't think it is a good look to pull up and pull off from someone's house with alot of sound. :lol:

It seems that this system is a 50 series. Not sure what that actually means but I don't think it is quiet.

slmann12

Reaction score
It seems that this system is a 50 series. Not sure what that actually means but I don't think it is quiet.

I was actually just looking at the Flowmaster website, and it seems like the 50 series was made for us... It gives the ride a better tone but its not overpowering here is a youtube video that will at least help...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9l_KoF5cVTE&feature=related

One thing to keep in mind is this is a single exit on the video, since we want dual exit they might be just a bit louder... but i still feel like this might be a very good option

riverst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Borla unit and the sound and performance is perfect. Nice royal rumble at idle and sorta aggressive when i accelerate. I was concerned also about the cabin noise because i have the Flowmaster 40 series on my work truck and its loud!!! Im a Borla fan for life. Corsa Touring is also good, the only thing is the price is high for them. Majority of the members here have selected Magnaflow to be the muffler of choice. If your on a budget i would get the Magnaflow catback. The stock sytem piping also have a second muffle near the rear, that might reduce the performance and deaded the sound completely.

e-dub75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was actually just looking at the Flowmaster website, and it seems like the 50 series was made for us... It gives the ride a better tone but its not overpowering here is a youtube video that will at least help...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9l_KoF5cVTE&feature=related

One thing to keep in mind is this is a single exit on the video, since we want dual exit they might be just a bit louder... but i still feel like this might be a very good option

Hey hey. I think you hit it right on the head. That thing sounds nice. And I decided to click on another vehicle with it on there (older model chevy) with duals and doesn't sound much different. :thumbsup:

Guess we have a winner!