Watching DVDs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vrrooom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just picked up my new 07 Tahoe (took advantage of the 0%! :)).

Anyway, love the truck so far! Had a 01 Denali prior and huge improvements!!

I was reading the different options and my truck doesnt have the rear entertainment system. Apparently the navi unit on trucks with the rear entertainment system can play DVDs however the navi units w/o rear dvd setups can only play music. (According to the invoice list at the dealer).

How can I get my non rear entertainment navi unit to play DVDs?

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What johnebgoode is saying is that you have to replace the whole non-DVD OE unit you have now with a DVD-capable OE unit (both made by Denso, both look identical). In addition to that, you need to add a CoastalETech LockPick to enable display of the DVD on the front screen while you're moving. I dunno why GM did this, but it's really an annoying two-step upgrade for guys like you!

Vrrooom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What johnebgoode is saying is that you have to replace the whole non-DVD OE unit you have now with a DVD-capable OE unit (both made by Denso, both look identical). In addition to that, you need to add a CoastalETech LockPick to enable display of the DVD on the front screen while you're moving. I dunno why GM did this, but it's really an annoying two-step upgrade for guys like you!

Oh man, thats a pain in the ass. Why GM did this is beyond me...

Is there a market for a non-dvd playing head unit? I figured if it can read the nav disc (DVD), it should be a simple hack to get it to play DVDs... that sucks :(

johnebgoode

Full Access Member
Reaction score

:thumbsup:

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why did GM disable the front DVD screen when driving? How do you spell never ending gazillion dollar lawsuits. :mad3: That's why you have to punch the OK button each time you go into the nav mode. :yesnod:

Vrrooom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why did GM disable the front DVD screen when driving? How do you spell never ending gazillion dollar lawsuits. :mad3: That's why you have to punch the OK button each time you go into the nav mode. :yesnod:

No, why did GM make two seperate navi units that look identical... one that can play a DVD in the front, and one that cannot.

cwt4

Reaction score
So hold on, let me get this straight. If I do not have the rear dvd package, there is no way to make my navi unit play DVDs even with the lockpick?

cwt4

Reaction score
BTW. I have a 07 Yukon Denali, not a tahoe as talked about in this thread...

cwt4

Reaction score
If I buy the naviagation unit that has the DVD (the one that is needed for the RSE) will it work without the RSE? You can get them brand new on ebay for like 850, so I could just buy that and sell the one that is in my Denali now and probably some cloose to breaking even. But, I want to make sure it will work without the RSE...

johnebgoode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I buy the naviagation unit that has the DVD (the one that is needed for the RSE) will it work without the RSE? You can get them brand new on ebay for like 850, so I could just buy that and sell the one that is in my Denali now and probably some cloose to breaking even. But, I want to make sure it will work without the RSE...

Problem there is, demand for a non DVD unit is low. But hell give it a shot, nuthin to lose!!
Not sure about the unit playing without the RSE . I really cant see why it wouldn't.

cwt4

Reaction score
Not sure if this would work, but what if you installed an aftermarket multi DVD changer in the center console. No one would ever know it was there so it would still look factory, you could have multiple DVDs loaded, and you would never have to take the nav disk out. Does anyone know if this would be an alternitive for those of us who dont have the DVD capabilities upfront factory?

hbrbmx

Full Access Member
Reaction score

It will...........

The Coastel lockpick has a video input that could be used with the aftermarket player, I'm sure they could tell you if the factory NAV unit is capable of playing movies