Water pump?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigggbrutis

Reaction score
Not sure if anyone has run into this before.. But just started having a heat issue with my 01 tahoe.. Had the shop flush and fill the radiator and now at least get some heat.. at idle it is luke warm at best.. as the rpm's go up the heat gets hotter.. they thought it was the water pump going bad... Any thoughts??

metro273

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After your Tahoe has ran for a while, turn it off and then proceed to touch both radiator hoses going to the radiator. They BOTH should be HOT! If one is warm but the other is HOT, the problem is your thermostat, that's in-line with the warm hose! Good luck...:thumbsup:

Ojustracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have poor heat at idle, then you rev the truck to lets say 2000 rpm and the heat gets hot quickly in like 10 sec

What you need to do is with the truck warmed up go feel both heater hoses. If there is a hugh temp difference in the feel of the hoses. The heater core is plugged up. A coolant flush might move a little stuff, but you need to remove the heater hoses and flush the heater core directly. PS watch out for the plastic quick couplers on the heater cores, I have a bunch of issues with removing these. I have had a ton of GM and other cars come through the door here at work.

John
Albany Radiator

topspeed02

Reaction score
Im having this same problem right now! My truck used to run steady @ about 205 degrees but now it has shot up to 245, 250 range and moves up and down. Has a weird sqeal noise when its running. I think its time for a water pump.

Ojustracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Topspeed I know I dont have to tell you but get that fixed ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 250 WAYYYYYY to hot.

John

topspeed02

Reaction score
Yeh truck is now sitting still till after the new year. Already ripped it all apart and pump is shot. Wasnt to hard to get it off, So now im doin e-fans and pump.

DSpoelma

Reaction score
Water Pump Replacement

Hello all - about ready to tackle the water pump replacement on my 02 Denali. I have a small coolant leak - and determined the fluid was coming from the weep hole on the water pump. Any recommendations for brand of pump to get? Should I replace the thermostat and belt while replacing the water pump? Any tips would be excellent - I usually work on motorcycles so this will be a little different. Thanks,

Dan