what do you guys think

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, since my yukon has been trouble and now since i got a new tranny my warrenty has been maxed out (cheap ass warrenty if ya ask me) so i have no warrenty as of today, worried what else might go out and wondering what i should do.

i stopped at a dealer yesterday and they offered me 24k for my truck as well as 0% for 12 months on an 08, or 1% on an 09 order (with loaner 07 until mine comes in)

i talked them on a deal for an 08 over the phone today.

08 ltz with 400 (yes 400 not a typo) miles on it (used as a demo) fully loaded with everything, flexfuel, nav, dvd, power fold, power lift gate, pwr running boards etc. for 36,500 not including TTL. gold mist, with tan int. only thing is its a dealer trade and it needs to be delivered, garenteed may 1st. if not sooner they said.

do you think i should trade????? i love my yukon and its my most favorite vehicle i have ever owned in the world. its a very hard decision and i though i would never ever sell her. but i also need to be pratical here. i can get a new one with 5year 100,000 miles warrenty. all fully loaded for 36,500 with 24 for mine.

so also i should ask. if yall think i should trade. should i shell out for an 09, or buy this 08 that i could have here on may 1st

car-15

Reaction score
I would trade it in. Nothing like the peace of mind with a new vehicle.

ugachs24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want to do it for the peace of mind, then go for it, but as much as you love you Yukon, I have a strong feeling that you're not going to be as happy with it. Notice I drive the '04 a lot since we got the new Z71...

Personally, I'd couldn't tell you that I'm happier with the NBS, because I'm really not. The factory warranty is a plus, the new car smell is nice, and the updated look is nice, but it's not as comfortable, I like the way the OBS drives, and we took a hit with gas mileage.

It's up to you but you're losing what, $25 or 26k less than two years of driving that truck? You mentioned buying one in addition to your XL earlier this year, I'd do that if possible but I don't know that I would make the trade.

JAGastrock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont do it. And to be honest, the OBS especially in the long wheelbase is so much more pleasent to drive. The NBS Suburbans/XLs just feel much more cumbersome to me (I test drove a few). What kind of trouble has it been having? How many miles?

jlcvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Warranty done, to many miles? It sound like you would be better off with a 08’, and the deal doesn’t sound that bad either.

JAGastrock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ill be honest, I like my 07, but I just dont think it is constructed near as well as the old body style. You cant get rid of the Kon....it is just so.......RT-esque.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is tough Rolling Thunder. It's the color and options you specifically want, except for one thing- it's not an 09. And you were waiting strictly for 09 so you could have those newly available features. I don't think you're gonna be happy once you see the 9's rolling out. God, if this was a year later and with the same deal and circumstances, but an 09, I'd tell you to run to it. But then again I wouldn't have to tell you because you wouldn't be asking- you'd be at the dealership. You don't seem like the kind of guy who needs to settle for less than you expect. Did you already fix the transmission? What else is wrong with it?

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is tough Rolling Thunder. It's the color and options you specifically want, except for one thing- it's not an 09. And you were waiting strictly for 09 so you could have those newly available features. I don't think you're gonna be happy once you see the 9's rolling out. God, if this was a year later and with the same deal and circumstances, but an 09, I'd tell you to run to it. But then again I wouldn't have to tell you because you wouldn't be asking- you'd be at the dealership. You don't seem like the kind of guy who needs to settle for less than you expect. Did you already fix the transmission? What else is wrong with it?

nothing is wrong now. the tranny got finished and i got it back on monday. seems to be running good. but the electrical is starting to be funny. radio/nav is shutting off and on for 2 seconds just because, and not just like hitting the button, but like where it gives me the welcome screen like i shut the truck off. im just kinda worried what else might go wrong. i might keep the yukon and get a cream puff silverado with a allison and d-max. to do my heavy duty stuff

my cheap ass warrenty i bought got maxed out when i needed to replace the tranny, so for about 3 grand i could get a good one. but then again 3 grand is a down payment.

when i was consitering an 09 to go along with the 06, i did not own a corvette or a mustang.

i could trade the corvette in, but i love it and it only has 3k miles on it and im sure i would be lowballed on a trade.

my yukon has 45k miles on it. she has been an awsome truck. but im just thinking pratical here. i have the money in saveings to pay cash for the truck, but i was planning on using that money for some other home improvement things, like another garage, or a new deck with new hottub by the pool) , but i can only afford the new one right now if i trade in the kon and get the 24k the dealer offered me for it.

my yukon is paid off, and im able to swing the difference for a new one, but only on the 08 deal, if i go 09 i have to finance and if i finance i might as well just get the 09 and keep the 06. but that defeats the purpose of all of this. as i bet dealers are not gunna neg a 09, im sure thats sticker or nothing. so i need to plan about 55k for that.

so say 24k for the kon. thats about 30k i need to finance. where the 08 i pay cash for and have a paid off truck still, only an 08 with new options and a full warrenty.

JAGastrock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WTF!!?!?!? Ok.....if I had to slap a new tranny in my truck, and go replacing things left and right when my truck had only 45K miles on it....my next purchase would be an Expedition or a Sequoia. Im sorry, that is just unacceptable. I say fix what is wrong with it now, and give it another chance. If it continues to give you trouble, then get rid of it.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its just like someone said, my yukon IS RT. i mean thats means more to me than some repairs. i will never buy a ford expi or explorer, infact there are only 2 fords i would ever think about buying and thats a mustang or f450 super duty.

i dont go non american except for german. but they have no heavy duty hard core suv's, just some crazy mercedes or bmw stuff that i would not want to take offroad since i might have just paid 100k for one. not happening.

i dont know, maybe i will keep her for now and wait till summer when i start to get more people wanting me to design, remodel, or find them a new house. then just keep the kon for sentimental reasons , but retire her to light duty and get an 09 2500 suburban.

JAGastrock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just make the repairs and keep going. What caused the tranny to go out in the first place? Was someone towing too much?

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same dilemma, almost traded my truck in on a new 6.0 avalanche lt that was loaded up but didn't like the truck more than my yukon. I might consider one if I can get it with a 6 speed and they do the 110% trade but otherwise I'll drive this thing until it's body dropped on 24s with 1000whp. I love these body style, or I'm making excuses for being a broke ass hater.

JD Larue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my humble opinion...sounds like your Yukon has some bugs that are coming to the surface. Tranny, electronics, etc.. It could start nickel and dimeing you to death in the future. IMO I'd jump on that 08, sounds like a fair price and you'll have a brand new warranty!

Hoebag03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
keep the Kon! didnt i hear you say gold is a womans color? (dont make me dig it up because i will):D

Hoebag03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same dilemma, almost traded my truck in on a new 6.0 avalanche lt that was loaded up but didn't like the truck more than my yukon. I might consider one if I can get it with a 6 speed and they do the 110% trade but otherwise I'll drive this thing until it's body dropped on 24s with 1000whp. I love these body style, or I'm making excuses for being a broke ass hater.

MAX! Dont you ever get rid of that Denali! unless you sell it to me of course:lol:

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
keep the Kon! didnt i hear you say gold is a womans color? (dont make me dig it up because i will):D

i doint remember that, but my favorite combo is gold mist and tan. i would also take black and tan, but gold mist and tan int are my favorite.

i slept on it, and im still on edge. i think im gunna see if he will let me do the same thing i did with the kon before i bought it and do an extended testdrive for 3 days.

my tranny blew i guess because i over worked it. but i would expect it to hold since i never went over the limit it could tow. what ever i guess. :cool2:

ugachs24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RT, if you want to make the trade then go for it, but I'm telling you, I don't think your going to be as happy with a 2008 as you are with your Yukon. I'm not saying that all of them are like our 2003 Z71 but we put 112k on it with very minor issues. And you have to admit you were pretty hard on that last tranny as far as towing goes. Like I said before, the NBS does not ride or drive as good as the OBS to either me or Christy, we both liked the old Z71, but like you we were worried about reliability at that point and needed to trade.

To be perfectly honest, all the options on the 08 Tahoe and Escalade scare me, even more electronics and things to go wrong than the old body style Tahoes (power liftgate, nav, parking sensors, camera, etc.). I'm still hung on the last body style I'm never getting rid of mine.

JAGastrock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ugachs, BINGO!!! Thats what I was just about to say. If you get an LTZ with power-freaking-everything, it is not even an if, it WILL nickel and dime you later in life, even more then this one is capable of doing. Less is more.... Now as far as the tranny blowing......that really doesnt surprise me. That is a Chevy trait. If you tow with a new one the way you towed with that Kon, the tranny will blow as well, unless it is a 6 speed and I cant speak for those. Dont get a new one, really. I tried to find a leftover 06 when I got mine but I couldnt. Mine is OK, I do like it, but it focuses more on aesthetics rather then function like the OBS. Hell the back seats fold down in the most annoying way even.

bamachevy89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know what to tell you. We are about to trade in our 2007 Tahoe. It has been bad luck since the start. It has left my wife stranded three times- twice a dead battery and my wife was in Florida for spring break with my daughter and her friends last week and it was just wouldn't start when they went out to eat one night. On top of those problems we have had problems with the ABS/Stabilitrak, DOD, sunroof, hard shifting, and now the air conditioning has started cutting out (that could have been a problem for a while, we haven't really used it because we got it last winter). I am really fed up with it, all of this and it only has 34,000 miles on it.

I am going to trade it for a Yukon SLT when the 2009 models come out, because she loves it, it really handles well and is easy to drive, but these problems are not acceptable. I hope we just got a bad one. I've had some small problems with my 2004 Tahoe, but that's acceptable, considering it's nearing the 70,000 mile mark. My daughters Denali has been trouble free since we have had it, but she has only put six thousand miles on it. Knock on wood.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know what to tell you. We are about to trade in our 2007 Tahoe. It has been bad luck since the start. It has left my wife stranded three times- twice a dead battery and my wife was in Florida for spring break with my daughter and her friends last week and it was just wouldn't start when they went out to eat one night. On top of those problems we have had problems with the ABS/Stabilitrak, DOD, sunroof, hard shifting, and now the air conditioning has started cutting out (that could have been a problem for a while, we haven't really used it because we got it last winter). I am really fed up with it, all of this and it only has 34,000 miles on it.

I am going to trade it for a Yukon SLT when the 2009 models come out, because she loves it, it really handles well and is easy to drive, but these problems are not acceptable. I hope we just got a bad one. I've had some small problems with my 2004 Tahoe, but that's acceptable, considering it's nearing the 70,000 mile mark. My daughters Denali has been trouble free since we have had it, but she has only put six thousand miles on it. Knock on wood.

o have also been wondering about how much worse the new ones are, as i remember your experience's. that settles it. im keeping this one and ordering an 09 later. or i may be a trader and get an f450 super duty. im not sure. :cool2:

thanks for all the info guys.

yall were a big help and i think UGH is right i will never be as happy with a new one as i am with this one. :yesnod:

but i really am tempted by that 08. i drove it yesterday and it really felt good. but i think if im gunna get a tahoe and keep the kon, it should be an 09. or else i will really be hurting come summer time when 09's start comeing out.

i just also have to think pratical here. brand new one, paid off with a warrenty. or 2 year old one no warrenty but still paid off. IDK, but i think yall are right that im gunna get more problems down the road with the new one. but i still have a warrenty.

i could just place an order tomarrow for an 09 and give them the vette, even if i only get 45K for it. i think i will run that by them and see what i get offered.

Last edited: