what do you guys think

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well crud, im back to square one again, i made the mistake of asking my father to call his dealer friend in chicago about extended warrentys and which one to buy. he said their worthless and i should just use the money on future repairs or buy a new one with a warrenty, he heard 100k warrenty and said that is what i should do. of course i though the dealer dude was happy for another sale but he said to shop locally, so my dad knows he means it then.

i never thought i would say this but it looks like im about to trade it. but im 50/50 still.

part of me is sad and depressed that im getting rid of it, the other part is excited about getting a new one.

still on the fence/dense post about it.

even with some of the troubles people have had, its under warrenty and can be fixed for free, the dealers are decent here. so i dont mine a couple of days in the shop as long as their free.

right now im looking at a 07 left over denali , discounted nicly.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score

When did hell freeze over???

sorry i had a drink that day. i melted it with the brandy though :D

NEVER NEVER NEVER A FORD TRUCK, EVER. THEY CAN BURN. i am fond of my new mustang GT though, nice power. still not as nice as the vette though.

gmcul8r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay good, I thought I was going to have to educate you on the Power-JOKE...

ugachs24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't agree with your dad at all. First off, extended warranties aren't ****. On my last Caddy the $2300 GMPP saved me over $2700 in repairs within the 50k miles that I used it. I immagine if I had used the remaining 20k that was left of it before I traded the car it would have just about saved me double what I paid for it. And second, honestly, I wouldn't think about buying a 6.0 or 6.2 litre engine in this day in age. You're going to lose your ass on that Yukon and then be piddling away another pile of money on extra gas mileage. To be perfectly honest, I don't regret buying any of our trucks in the least, but I don't think I'd buy another one. Gas wasn't as big of an issue when they were bought as it is now and its all uphill from here. That's why were buying the STS for Christy.

Its up to you but like everybody's said a hundred times, I wouldn't do it.

gmcul8r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey RT, why don't you wait for the new 4.5L Duramax?

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't agree with your dad at all. First off, extended warranties aren't ****. On my last Caddy the $2300 GMPP saved me over $2700 in repairs within the 50k miles that I used it. I immagine if I had used the remaining 20k that was left of it before I traded the car it would have just about saved me double what I paid for it. And second, honestly, I wouldn't think about buying a 6.0 or 6.2 litre engine in this day in age. You're going to lose your ass on that Yukon and then be piddling away another pile of money on extra gas mileage. To be perfectly honest, I don't regret buying any of our trucks in the least, but I don't think I'd buy another one. Gas wasn't as big of an issue when they were bought as it is now and its all uphill from here. That's why were buying the STS for Christy.

Its up to you but like everybody's said a hundred times, I wouldn't do it.

how am i gunna loose, when i trade it in 5 years from now with 100k power train, i dont plan to sell it until 200k then. gotta remember gas is no ware near as bad here as it is in other areas, these things are selling like hot cakes still, went to the dealer last week to look at the tahoe, was told monday it and 4 others sold. GMC dealers are haveing a hard time keeping the acadia and denalis on the lot, but regular yukons are still hard selling. nobody around here is that worried about gas, for two reasons, their loaded and dont care, or they just like suvs.

ugachs24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how am i gunna loose, when i trade it in 5 years from now with 100k power train, i dont plan to sell it until 200k then. gotta remember gas is no ware near as bad here as it is in other areas, these things are selling like hot cakes still, went to the dealer last week to look at the tahoe, was told monday it and 4 others sold. GMC dealers are haveing a hard time keeping the acadia and denalis on the lot, but regular yukons are still hard selling. nobody around here is that worried about gas, for two reasons, their loaded and dont care, or they just like suvs.

You said the same thing about keeping your Yukon until the wheels fell off. Gas may be a few dimes cheaper up there RT, but bottom line any time that it is over $3 a gallon people become anxious about the fuel situation and 14 MPG suv's certainly won't be selling like hot cakes. That's the primary reason we're losing tens of thousands in depreciation on them. It's not that I can't afford the gas anymore in them but it's just wasteful for me (being the only person in the car 99% of the time) to drive something that seats 7 people. They're still going to sell as long as they have good offers going but they don't have one used Tahoe on the lot at my Chevy dealership. The last two they had out there hit the 90 day mark and got sent off to the auction.

You'll be happy with your new one and the peace of mind, but I don't like the new one as well as my old one and a good extended warranty surely would have been sufficient if you were concerned about reliabilty.

High4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried to respond a couple of days ago but the work computer where I was had a firewall. Just to muddy the water a little more; I would not get the extended warranty. Instead, put the money ($2500?) in the money market and let it earn the huge 3% interest. Tap that if you need a repair. This has worked for us many years and remember, the guys selling you the warranty are making a living betting you won't need it. As far as the truck, I'd get the '09 with the 6.2 (and standard 6 speed). We use our trucks for what we like to do...fishing in the mountains, exploring off road, going to parts of the country to enjoy the outdoors, traveling on mile after mile of dirt roads, etc. We don't worry about the mpg a great deal (my wife drives a Range Rover and loves the comfort and security) but we use the trucks for fun and recreation (we don't golf, belong to clubs, party, go to plays, etc...just explore, fish, look for out-of-the-way places..and boat!). So, the price of gas is not the driving factor, it's more of what the truck can do and how it fits our lifestyle. Sorry, I don't usually type this much but you asked...and this is what I think.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You said the same thing about keeping your Yukon until the wheels fell off. Gas may be a few dimes cheaper up there RT, but bottom line any time that it is over $3 a gallon people become anxious about the fuel situation and 14 MPG suv's certainly won't be selling like hot cakes. That's the primary reason we're losing tens of thousands in depreciation on them. It's not that I can't afford the gas anymore in them but it's just wasteful for me (being the only person in the car 99% of the time) to drive something that seats 7 people. They're still going to sell as long as they have good offers going but they don't have one used Tahoe on the lot at my Chevy dealership. The last two they had out there hit the 90 day mark and got sent off to the auction.

You'll be happy with your new one and the peace of mind, but I don't like the new one as well as my old one and a good extended warranty surely would have been sufficient if you were concerned about reliabilty.

extended warrentys are crap. the 3k you spend is buying your way to small claims court and arguments, you get used parts that are warrentied until you drive off the lot. if you have a deductable its 100 dollars PER BREAKDOWN, so say you need 5 things fixed, thats 500 since 5 things have gone wrong.

its much better to get a new one, and i hate to say it, part of me has always wanted an 08, i was shopping for a GMT 900 when i bought my GMT 800. :thumbsup:

High 4, thats exactly how i am, i do belong to a club and go golfing, but i love to get down and dirty. love to fish, love to boat, love to be outdoors and in the water.

ugachs24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
extended warrentys are crap. the 3k you spend is buying your way to small claims court and arguments, you get used parts that are warrentied until you drive off the lot. if you have a deductable its 100 dollars PER BREAKDOWN, so say you need 5 things fixed, thats 500 since 5 things have gone wrong.

its much better to get a new one, and i hate to say it, part of me has always wanted an 08, i was shopping for a GMT 900 when i bought my GMT 800. :thumbsup:

High 4, thats exactly how i am, i do belong to a club and go golfing, but i love to get down and dirty. love to fish, love to boat, love to be outdoors and in the water.

RT- I'm glad you got a new truck, it's always exciting, I'm just saying I wouldn't have traded given that scenario. Obviosuly you don't have any idea what you're talking about with warranties. You have to be careful which company you use. I've had two in the past and have two right now, 3 GMPP's and one Vehicle One (backed by GM). All cover (have covered) up to 100k miles, 60 months, and are bumper to bumper with no deductible. Never paid over $2500 for one. Never had a problem with a claim. Never been given a rebuilt or used part. And each comes with roadside assistance, trip interruption, etc. But enjoy your new truck. You'll have enough lights on the front of that Yukon to light up all of Virginia.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RT- I'm glad you got a new truck, it's always exciting, I'm just saying I wouldn't have traded given that scenario. Obviosuly you don't have any idea what you're talking about with warranties. You have to be careful which company you use. I've had two in the past and have two right now, 3 GMPP's and one Vehicle One (backed by GM). All cover (have covered) up to 100k miles, 60 months, and are bumper to bumper with no deductible. Never paid over $2500 for one. Never had a problem with a claim. Never been given a rebuilt or used part. And each comes with roadside assistance, trip interruption, etc. But enjoy your new truck. You'll have enough lights on the front of that Yukon to light up all of Virginia.

still have not gotten one yet , and actully haveing second thoughts, i just LOVE my truck, and as nice a new one feels to drive, i still love driving my 06, still on edge, but how can i say no to the deal a brand new yukon xl 2500 with a 6.0 nav, leather, sunroof, and other cool options i dont have on the kon, for only 28 thousand. origionally at 49900. But i could always use a new pair of yamaha jetski's their form 1996 and have seen better days.

JAGastrock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WTF, How in the WORLD did you manage to find a deal like that?!

JAGastrock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
omg I hate you! Dayamn, I woulda jumped on that like stink on sh*t if I saw that when I got the hoe.

JAGastrock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And since thats a 3/4 ton......maybe you wont make the tranny crap out on that one.....

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And since thats a 3/4 ton......maybe you wont make the tranny crap out on that one.....

yea its got the 4l80E. i have decided to take it, everybody in the whole world seems to be saying do it. my dad who is a tight wad and always as a kid warned me about spending too much and we had to beg him to replace his 1981 cadillac fleetwood, wouldnt do it, but finally said he will only drive him self, cant take kids, cant let anyone else drive it, we dont trust it, so un willingly he bought a buick enclave, which he loves but is still mad at us for making him get a new car. but even he said go for it, smartest move you can make.

reason the 2500 is not selling is because it has the 6.0 and most people dont want that due to high gas prices.

one thing i did also have the dealer do is put 1500 crome polished wheels on it as i hate the look of 2500 wheels.

ugachs24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
went to a chevy dealer today and their discounting 10k plus giving me 6k over KBB for the kon. hmm decisions, decisions.

That's bull****. Why would they pay $6k over KBB for a huge SUV, that's going to sit on their lot for 3 months, with electrical problems and a recently blown tranny :skep: . Besides that, nobody is going to give you KBB for a clean trade, much less $6k. $500 or $1000 over KBB would have been semi-reasonable...