What is your MPG with your Tahoe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nickleahy23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im just wondering what everyone else gets with their 5.3 because ive been getting between 10-12 mixed driving..i drive like theres an egg under the pedal and it doesnt change..

i have a magnaflow muffler in place of the stock, k & n air filter, BB 93 octane tune and a new MAF..everything else is stock..

could a faulty FPR cause bad mpg? I have a feeling mine is bad because it doesnt always start on the first try..other then that it runs great..i have a new fuel filter to put on, and i should probably do plugs as well, but its too damn cold to work on anything right now..anyone have any other ideas? the air pressure in the tires is good as well

im at 150 miles and have just over quarter tank left

Grebbler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I first got mine I kept track via "fill and subtract the miles in the trip meter" method and I started out with about 16 mpg with mostly highway driving. Then winter came and it dropped to about 11 mpg due to cold tires, cold oil, snow, slush, 4X4 activation, and dense air resistance. Then I added a remote starter (because I am a cold weather sissy) and it dropped even more with it warming up 10 minutes twice a day.

Best I got was above 17 but error factor could have accounted for that. Lowest was just above 10 mpg in crappy conditions. All in all just a tad better than Big Red (bottom truck in sig) but with 4x4, much better turn radius, and more interior room - a fair trade off.

Greb

blue02hoe

Reaction score
i get 17 no matter what. highway or city, i get 17. maybe I have a factory freak or something.

Grocery Getter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get 16 city and my last road trip I got 19.5hwy, I keep my RPM's under 2k as much as I possibly can which is most of the time. I use two iphone apps to track fuel Gashog and Accu Fuel. I am hoping I can gain anothet 2-5mpg's with the addition of a magnaflow catback system, e-fan, and a black bear tune..... We will see

Nickleahy23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
damn thats pretty good..i got 17 before my bb tune and thats what i get straight highway now..im hopeing its just the winter deal with warmin it up and everything being cold..but i need to do the plugs and fuel filter so i know everything is in good shape

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wtf I have awd with a bigger engine and managed 340 from the last tank with several wot runs past 100. something isn't right you should be getting 14 or better.

TheBlizzard

Reaction score
In the summer I get 15-17 average in town; I went on a 300 mile road trip and got 19.6avg going around 64mph the whole time. Its winter now, I checked the other day and it was getting 13.3mpg, but thats driving in 4wd a lot since its been snowing, and all the other factors that make car suck gas in the cold.

radkon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my 03 Hoe from my uncle, he would reset the DIC every month. Read 15.5 MPG. On the long hwy trip, 800+ miles, back to my house last Jan (08) I got 15.8 and nearly cried.

I have HP tuners and played with the tune a little and now it avgs 16.5 about 70% city driving and 18.5 on the freeway IF I keep it under 70MPH.

Grebbler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you go even a TEENY bit over 70 (this includes 12 seconds at 71) it will drop to 12 mpg.

Warp 1 starts at 71 and an extra 2 virtual cylinders kick in. :D

Greb

ac1975

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my last 8 fill ups (since I bought truck), I have averaged 14.546 with my online calculator. I have hit as high as 16.897 on one tank, and as low as 12.250 on another. 50/50 use, 85 octane, light pressure on the skinny. I'm sure I can do better.

tom q

Reaction score
04 tahoe 5.3 2wd. I get 16 in the city and 19.8 highway. Everything is stock except for K&N filter. I don't have a heavy foot when accelarating but I go 72 avg on the freeway. BTW, I now have 103,000 miles on it.

2004TAHOEZ71

Reaction score
i get 13 city 15 hwy not a heavy foot either. the rpm's are always around 2k or lower. im going to do an intake next month and see if that helps. i think the winter gas just sucks!