Where can I buy new torsion bars?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Leon06

Reaction score
Im looking to replace my torsion bars on my 99 tahoe. I called the dealer and they told me that they are discontinued. I'm a little iffy on buying some used ones. My reason for wanting to replace them is because the front of my truck is resting on the bump stops, plus with the milage that the truck has i figured its time to replace them. let me know what you guys think or if someone has replaced their torsion bars. Thanks.

By the way I'm new to the whole forum thing so I'm hoping i posted this up in the right spot.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they arent broke, dont replace them, find out why they arent supporting the front end, perhaps someone installed some aftermarket lowering keys to drop the front end? Or the LCA's pockets for the bars are worn?

Leon06

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, so to fix that i have to just replace the lower control arms? if the pockets are worn?

MO Viet Vet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could be just a simple adjustment. You didn't say how long you have had the rig? Like lesterl said, if the stock bars have lowering keys then just replace the keys with stock and adjust and get aligned. You may also need new LCA for the worn out pockets and again, alignment. If has stock and you just bought then maybe some doofus lowered by cranking them down. The new ones could still be around. Check LMC Truck and also have the dealer check for NOS, new old stock, available at some dealer in the country that have some with about an inch of dust on them.

Leon06

Reaction score
Thanks raiderron, I have had the truck for 3 months and i am the second owner, truck has 266,000miles. But I was planning on replacing the lca's either way but i was peeking around other forums and everyone was saying that chevy made them to rest on the bump stops. Not sure if thats 100% true but I'm going to contact the dealer and see if they can vouch for that.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are NOT to rest on the bump stops, they are to float, the bump stops are to be at end of travel. Check the Torsion Bar keys to see if they are out of adjustment or lowering keys.....

2006Tahoe

Reaction score
Just curious as to rather or not you ever solved your torsion bar problem. I have a 2006 Z71 and it was riding on the bump stops. I purchased and installed new torsion bars and allthough the ride has improved it's still rides on the bump stops. The front is about 2 to 3 inches lower than the rear and was considering purchasing new torsion bar keys. Sure would like to know how you solved your problem. Thanks