WOT is good for engine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah the 80s were not the glory days for Cadillac. Who's bright idea was it to put a Carb'ed Olds 307 into a Cadillac :lol:

no idea. MY dad tells me they did that because of the cylinder shut off system giving it so much havoc that they swapped it for an oldsmobile engine. He just got one of the last few built where the change was made.

Now dont get me wrong, its one of the most comfortable BIG cars I own or have ever been in. I mean those seats are better than my lay Z boy couches and chairs in my living room. But that engine just sucks. But coming up on 250k miles (although the OD says 25000 as its only 5 digets gone around to 0 twice now) still origional engine and tranny. All we have done is brakes, master cylinder, and rebuilt the carb about 5 times now. LOL.

RenegadeTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah the 80s were not the glory days for Cadillac. :lol:

Were they the glory days for ANYTHING? I mean... the only thing good that came out of the 80's car-wise was the GNX (and T-type) and the TT/A..

Seriously, when you start the sentence with I have a 198X... ANYTHING... it's automatically discounted. LOL

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Were they the glory days for ANYTHING? I mean... the only thing good that came out of the 80's car-wise was the GNX (and T-type) and the TT/A..

Seriously, when you start the sentence with I have a 198X... ANYTHING... it's automatically discounted. LOL

I think my 84 mercedes is nice though . of course. the money i have put in it to keep it running i could have bought a new one. :shy:

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lets see... the 80's.... well 1984 was a good year :D

and lets not forget about rocky, terminator, and the best era for slasher films... and eye of the tiger... EYE OF THE TIGER hahahahhaa... oooo ooo.... the delorean!

Turbizzy

Reaction score

'Cept for my 85 Mustang SVO IROC Killer.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i tell you one vehicle that got screwed in the 80s was the corvette. went from an AWSOME 400 hp v-8 to a detuned, de manned 170 hp v-8. :cryin:

Thankfully they have fixed that, today its 435 stock. and mine is upgraded to 550:cool::D

RenegadeTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
'Cept for my 85 Mustang SVO IROC Killer.

LOL... no offense but... it doesn't take much to squash an IROC... they were only in the mid 200HP range... my Tahoe would probably kill an IROC. LOL

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL... no offense but... it doesn't take much to squash an IROC... they were only in the mid 200HP range... my Tahoe would probably kill an IROC. LOL

when i read that i think milk squirted threw my nose... GM didnt produce anything beefy in the 80's and that iroc was a bucket!

but from my experince, bad mouthing 5.0 owners always ends up in a long winded battle about cobras, and boss's and super sports and vettes and never seems to end...

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when i read that i think milk squirted threw my nose... GM didnt produce anything beefy in the 80's and that iroc was a bucket!

but from my experince, bad mouthing 5.0 owners always ends up in a long winded battle about cobras, and boss's and super sports and vettes and never seems to end...

well until I wrecked it, i had a 5.0 gt mustang and it had nice power, only about 215 horse power. But i honostly thought anything was faster than it. 5 speed was so much better than auto which is why i was glad to have a 5 speed. But the vette could do hexagons around it. :lol:

RenegadeTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score

LOL... the 1985 IROC 5.0 had 170HP... The BEST the IROC ever did was in 1990 with the L98@245HP. I'm a big fan of the Camaro, but those were just turds.... again... did ANYTHING good really come out of the 80's? (car-wise)

I used to spank 5.0's with my 89 Silverado...

truck.jpg

Turbizzy

Reaction score
You used to "spank" 5.0s with your 89 TBI silverado? I find this verrrry hard to beleive. TBIs are pigs even up to 95 they are slow. What 5.0s did you use to spank, the pre EFI ones from 86 and back? That i'd beleive.

No seriously though, without getting into the big mustang/camaro arguement, my little 4 banger SVO can whoop on IROCs by at least a whole second off the ET. And your talkin a lil 140cube forged Pinto motor with a T3 Garret lol. Now i've got a T3/T4 Grand National hybrid and bigger injectors....

What about the Grand Nationals??? The 87 GNX had more horsepower than the 87 Corvette and thats from a 3.8L V6 LOL!

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:smilielol:

i knew it... all it takes is a wisper about a 5.0 and the blue oval crew creeps out from under the rocks and you never hear the end of it... whats with that?

has anyone been in an 80's crystler fifth ave.? that is the staple of comfort, that was actually a pretty nice ride, ugly as hell but still a sweet whip

Turbizzy

Reaction score
:smilielol:

i knew it... all it takes is a wisper about a 5.0 and the blue oval crew creeps out from under the rocks and you never hear the end of it... whats with that?

has anyone been in an 80's crystler fifth ave.? that is the staple of comfort, that was actually a pretty nice ride, ugly as hell but still a sweet whip

:lol: I know right? I think alot of former Fox guys also have bought GM Fullsizers because we all knew if it wasn't a Lightning then Ford really had no decently quick fullsize and some of us fatasses (like me) will not fit in a Reg Cab Lightning lol.

Aaaand actually i did own a MINT condition 1989 Chrysler Fifth Avenue (last of that body style) as my first car. Only had 29k miles. It was my ucle's who got it from the original owner who kept it in storage for 12 years. It had all power everything, white with navy blue vynal top, navy leather interior, big trunk (that i hada custom box filled with 2 15s lol) and the orignal spokes! We called it the pimpmobile lol. I got pics somewhere.

RenegadeTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about the Grand Nationals??? The 87 GNX had more horsepower than the 87 Corvette and thats from a 3.8L V6 LOL!

Umm... I think I talked about it in this post:

LOL... the TBI 350 is no Vortec by any means, but... mine wasn't "slow" or a "pig"... I had a few run-ins with modded 96-98 Vortec's and smoked 'em. There was just something about that truck... I couldn't explain it. The guy I sold it to was a friend of mine... he said the same thing... it was just... different. :thumbsup: We thought perhaps a previous owner had chipped it... I put straight exhaust on it... it would chirp the tires going into second.

Turbizzy

Reaction score
I can understand what you mean about it, my friend had a 90 Reg Cab with a chip, underdrive pulleys, K&N snorkel and a shift kit lowered on 17s and that bich was pretty quick. He now drives a 98 2 door tahoe and used to tell me how much quicker his old truck felt, im like "impossible".

RenegadeTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:lol: I know right? I think alot of former Fox guys also have bought GM Fullsizers because we all knew if it wasn't a Lightning then Ford really had no decently quick fullsize and some of us fatasses (like me) will not fit in a Reg Cab Lightning lol.

My first truck was an '89 F-150 XLT Lariat... that thing had SO many problems... it's not even funny. Of course, the Tahoe is the 13th car I've owned since then.... had my experiences. ;)

I have always wanted a fox body... throw a 347 stroker in it... :eek2: I just haven't found a way to justify it to the wifey.

Turbizzy

Reaction score
Yup you could do that. Just find the nicest cheap 4 banger fox coupe you can find and yank the motor and slide in your weapon of choice. You could do this entire project for under 5 grand if you do it yourself.

RenegadeTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can understand what you mean about it, my friend had a 90 Reg Cab with a chip, underdrive pulleys, K&N snorkel and a shift kit lowered on 17s and that bich was pretty quick. He now drives a 98 2 door tahoe and used to tell me how much quicker his old truck felt, im like "impossible".

LOL... I used to practice WOT at EVERY light with my 89 Silverado... it was probably the cleanest engine I've had... other than my 95 Z28. :thumbsup:

RenegadeTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...if you do it yourself.

Wouldn't have it any other way... :D

Unfortunately, we were discussing our future plans, and a project car isn't in them. I was actually going to sell my 99 S-10 for an '02 Cadillac Seville STS (the whole thing that sparked this discussion), but with all the things we have planned, not sure if we want the added payment and hassle of not having a truck. I was going to buy a trailer for the 'hoe, but I don't have anywhere to park it. We don't own our house, so it's not like I can just build a gate to the back yard to park a trailer, either.