WTF 9.6 miles per gallon avg?!?!?!?1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bamachevy89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude, I drive it like a girl now. The foot is far from "in it". It hasn't even seen 55mph yet. Manual says anything over 87 is a waste of money. I would consider synthetic but have you really noticed a fuel efficiency change from oil?

The book does say that, but many people on here agree that using higher octane fuel will help you out with your gas mileage. I've got like 40k miles on my '04 and had never seen above 18.9 or something on the highway between Greenville, SC and Birmingham, AL and last week I topped out at 20.7 after using only Shell V-Power for a few weeks. It will make a difference, I promise.

vaTahoe

Reaction score
My wife has a Suburban and complained that the car vibrated through the steering wheel- I guess so after I noticed the torn up rim on the fron t left- Asked her what she hit and she looked at me like:rolleyes2: Women can tear up a car and blame it on the ride- I personally get 16.2mph in my 07 LTZ and its getting better since addition of cold air intake and also installing corsa exhaust as soon as it shows up

SK

bamachevy89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife has a Suburban and complained that the car vibrated through the steering wheel- I guess so after I noticed the torn up rim on the fron t left- Asked her what she hit and she looked at me like:rolleyes2: Women can tear up a car and blame it on the ride- I personally get 16.2mph in my 07 LTZ and its getting better since addition of cold air intake and also installing corsa exhaust as soon as it shows up

SK

That reminds me, my wife was my girlfriend back in highschool and I'll always remember the day she got her license. She called me up and asked me what was wrong with her car, the tires would make a funny noise when she went around a sharp turn. I drove it, didn't hear anything, so I told her that I'd ride with her and we'd see what it was. The minute she went around the turn I heard what she was talking about. She used to use the accelerator to go around sharp curves instead of the brake. She said she thought it would give her better traction :eek2: .

All I have to say as that whoever let her pass that driving test was insane and the parents that bought their perfect little cheerleading sweethart that Mach 1 Mustang at 16 were out of their minds :smilielol: .

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...She used to use the accelerator to go around sharp curves instead of the brake. She said she thought it would give her better traction :eek2: .... .

Too much NASCAR. :smilielol:

BTW the way the driver ed. class I took in high school (1993) actually taught you to do that.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dude, my traction control stops that, i have to turn it off. but doesn't the new acura accelriate the outer tire when turning?? i think i saw that on tv a couple of times.

jscgolf

Reaction score
FWIW -- I just returned from dropping a kid at Penn State and my mileage through the "hills / mountains" of PA was 1.5 mpg more than on the flat of Ohio. I have the 5.3 w/active fuel management ... and the "uphills" at 12-13 mpg V8 are offset by the 30 - 50 mpg V4 "downhills" and got 18.7 mpg (cruise set at 70mph !!!! I never would have thought that you would get better mileage in the hills !!!

also ... I have tried the higher octane theory without any increase in mpg !! I

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW -- I just returned from dropping a kid at Penn State and my mileage through the "hills / mountains" of PA was 1.5 mpg more than on the flat of Ohio. I have the 5.3 w/active fuel management ... and the "uphills" at 12-13 mpg V8 are offset by the 30 - 50 mpg V4 "downhills" and got 18.7 mpg (cruise set at 70mph !!!! I never would have thought that you would get better mileage in the hills !!!

Ok, so it's not just me. I posted something similar here a while back. Well, I'll just put the text below

I just took a drive from Maryland to Michigan for the holidays (all highway) in hilly Pennsylvania I got 18.6 MPG. In flat as a board Ohio I got 17.2 driving about 65 in both states. I was a little surprised, but I guess it probably spent more time in V4 mode in PA... In the city I average about 14 with moderate driving. I have the Volant intake, so that may have helped a little. Does this sound close to what you guys are getting?

jscgolf

Reaction score
Hey Gambler ... I knew I had seen your post before !!! At least we know that either we're both right ... or both nuts !!!!:brsh1: :lam: