You be the judge................

Was the vendor's reply:

• Blantant smart ass reply

Votes: 14 60.9%
  • No way to tell what a person's intended emotion is froma computer 600 miles away

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • sounds like normal business conversation

Votes: 4 17.4%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hbrbmx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The poll is anonymous and you don't have to leave a reply.......

Less than $100 changing hands here. It had been 11 days since I made an Ebay purchase. I emailed to check on the status:

Dear xx_xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,

Yukon XL , included as a note on my paypal payment. Did you send the bumper trim? Thanks a bunch for letting me know you didn't get the info 11 days later.

Here is the vendor's reply:

Dear hines471,

Number 1, I just doublechecked your Paypal payment and there is NO note attached let alone stating the model. You can check the same payment and confirm this. Second, you were emailed the day of payment asking for this and you never responded.

Both emails are in their entirety, no editing................

I am looking to know what you think of his / her reply in this situation. Kinda tongue in cheeck here, I am going to let the vendor see this thread.

Last edited:

road1will

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think the vendor was out of line - it looks like a communication mix up to me and a smart ass question was given a smart ass reply :)

uofmz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think the vendor was out of line - it looks like a communication mix up to me and a smart ass question was given a smart ass reply :)

+1

sorry - ive had my far share of smart ass replies too but its cause i was a smart ass on front end.

oh well i would just clear things up with another email and try again - no smart "assness" this time :rolleyes:

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The seller's response to your e-mail doesn't really sound like a smart ass reply. He sounded defensive, but not smart ass in my opinion.

falconetti

Reaction score
i still want to think the customer is always right. Assuming this is a business of sorts. I get smart ass remarks here and there and handle it as though the customer is wonderfull to be around. You get rude unassuming barking answers like that from people who dont care about you. Customers keep you in business and when you stop caring you get rude. The proper thing to do in response to your e-mail is answer the direct question or request, then go about his day, and if needed tell his friend about the ******* e-mail he got. If hes just a guy selling his leftover stuff then hes just a jerk.

hbrbmx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i still want to think the customer is always right. Assuming this is a business of sorts. I get smart ass remarks here and there and handle it as though the customer is wonderfull to be around. You get rude unassuming barking answers like that from people who dont care about you. Customers keep you in business and when you stop caring you get rude. The proper thing to do in response to your e-mail is answer the direct question or request, then go about his day, and if needed tell his friend about the ******* e-mail he got. If hes just a guy selling his leftover stuff then hes just a jerk.

Ding, ding, ding.........we have a winner :D

I was pissed, it had been 11 days and no contact from him for the information he needed to ship my goods. It is a business, and I called him out on the smart ass reply, he tells me he wasn't being an ass and there's no way I can tell that from an email. Okey dokey dude............

Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
give him the benefit of the doubt. He probably does a lot of transactions and missed your comments.

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ding, ding, ding.........we have a winner :D

I was pissed, it had been 11 days and no contact from him for the information he needed to ship my goods. It is a business, and I called him out on the smart ass reply, he tells me he wasn't being an ass and there's no way I can tell that from an email. Okey dokey dude............

Don't get me wrong, I think his response was inappropriate. Especially if he represents a business. Customer support is one of the most important parts of running a business. I was just saying that it didn't sound like a smart ass remark. I guess if you are asking if he was wrong in sending the response he sent, then yes, it was wrong.

I would also point out that your e-mail to him was also inappropriate. I can understand your frustration, but you probably should have left that last sentence out.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not a lecture! REALLY!

Clearly a moot point now, but it would seem that you'd have gotten a better response if you were more diplomatic... Maybe not; maybe this was your 2nd or 3rd, or 7th email to the guy, I dunno. I rarely get "shafted" on deals when I'm calm and reserved with merchants, and let them know my frustrations when necessary *. You could insert that whole "you catch more flies with honey than vinegar" argument here... I ain't your momma, so I "won't". ;)

Seems like it's ironed out now tho -- so that's cool. :thumbsup:

* Usually when I've gotten what I wanted.