You ever tilt your Tahoe while doing an oil change.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gregski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When ever I do my own oil change I try to do a good job. I take my time, sometimes I slide a catch pan under the truck remove the drain plug on Friday evening and let it drip over night, than on Saturday morning I finish the job.

However today I thought to myself hey that drain plug aint exactly at the bottom of the pan now is it. On my '97 4WD four door it is about an 1/8th of an inch from the bottom, on the driver side.

What if I lift the passenger side at the front wheel a little bit, will more dirty black oil come poring out?

Why yes it does, and it keeps coming, I swear as I type this it is poring out at a steady slow hairline drizzle. I must have drained approximately another half a quart of oil out of that beast. Every time it slows down, I lift it another full floor jack motion, at this time I got the front wheel about six inches off the ground and it still has a ways to go.

I thought I would share, if it is old news please forgive me, if it makes you wonder, than please give it a try next time you are doing an oil change, no sense in adding clean oil to some remaining dirty crap.

Last edited:

Andrew99Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do this all of the time... Good tip to share though. Im sure not a lot of people take that into consideration. I know that a true oil change is never done if you take it somewhere either, its kinda hard to drain it completely if all 4 wheels are up in the air

tonymac617

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So Basically it takes you 24+ hours to perform an oil change on your vehicle? You might as well drain the oil, drop the oil pan, and re-install. It would take less time.

Also, you will never get all of the oil out of your engine. There is still more oil sitting in the upper instake valleys etc. Just keep up on your oil changes and you shouldnt have to worry about the oil left over in your motor.

clkelley

Reaction score
I too lift the front of the truck to drain as much as possible. But of course I only change my oil once a year anyway so I don't lift the front for that often anyway...lol

tonymac617

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I only lift mine to gain acess to the drain bolt, but other than that, I dont try to drain every drip of oil from the motor. To each their own. :)