Z71 Plastic trim, many questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to paint my Gray trim pieces... here are my questions

does anyone have any spare pieces laying around i can give this a practice run on? Im afraid the stuff is going to have a hard time sticking (and not chipping) on the plastic.

How are these things attached? Because i plan to do this myself, i cannot paint it on the truck... at least i REALLY REALLY dont want to try that.

has anyone ever painted their plastic trim pieces and how did it hold up? any pictures?

as a note, i cannot find anyone who will do this for me because everywhere i talk to tells me it will not stay on the plastic, it will chip off and they will not warrantee the work, how do i make this stuff hold to the trim?

I plan to use a GM certified rattle can of the olympic white paint, but i am not sure which clear coat to use, any suggestions?

bahollis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled mine off and trashed them. It was the only part of my hoe that I did not like. I don't blame you for wanting to paint them, but I wonder if the slight texture will really look good painted.

If I had saved mine I'd give them to you for free.

BH

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled mine off and trashed them. It was the only part of my hoe that I did not like. I don't blame you for wanting to paint them, but I wonder if the slight texture will really look good painted.

If I had saved mine I'd give them to you for free.

BH

Im going to sand them smooth... than primer them than paint them... just want to make sure the paint will hold

bahollis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can find a primer made for plastics, it should hold. Just clean,clean,clean, it before spraying. We paint plastics at our sign shop all the time, but never anything being subjected to road grime & the like.

If you can, try removing one of the pieces and paint the inner part to test.

BH

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have done some searching around and i found that the side plastic moulding is rivited, so i do not think i will be able to remove it (i dont have arivit gun to reinstall it) so i would have to try my luck painting the trim while on the truck... and im an amature... but i stil might give it a try