05 Tahoe possible wiring nightmare

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Repoman05

Reaction score
Hello folks. Just purchased an 05 Tahoe. One owner truck in immaculate condition. 2wheel drive that was lifted the right way. 35x12.50x20 . 6"suspension. Interior is show room condition. HID headlights. I bought HID fog lights. Went. o install and after I plugged factory wiring to them I had no power. When I bought the truck I noticed there weren't any bulbs in the lenses and just thought. WTH ill just put HIDs in so I never brought it to the dealerships attention. Now ... after finding no power I check fuse panel. All the while the button for fog lights is pushed to on position ......light on dash is lit along w all gages lit. Well about 20-30 after the button is on I smell electrical burning thru vents. Lift hood...no smoke.. I assume my blower is burning up.. shut fan off along w fog light button. Air out inside. About 30 minutes later fan still works... later that night GF goes to store.... all still fine ... slight smell.but I assume its residual. Next morning start truck and turn AC on ...no fan... no blown fuses. Drive down street to go back to dealer. Truck shifts fine.... get to stop sign.. still in 3rd gear... manually shift to 1st ... shifts fine .... won't return to 1st on own.
Dealer has truck for an hour to tell me its a burnt fan.....fan resister...ignition and something in the torque converter.they tell me the ignition burnt everything up..... $804.00 later...... I tell them about the fog light switch ..... their responce ..... don't use switch. They checked and agree there is no power to wires.

Chevrolet dealer btw. Have any of you ever seen this? I really can't afford to pay someone to chase wires to find what it is. Yes I'd like to use the lights but won't lose sleep if I can't. I Anyhelp would be great. I can be reached at [email protected]..

Thanks a lot folks...

samotahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well you will end up having to chase wires, but for the mean time just dont use it. sorry but thats the only alternative. but thats messed up that they wouldnt help you out with those repairs tho

Repoman05

Reaction score
Maybe I was wrong by saying they wouldn't help... The usual labor rate was $130 an hour....so they said.... they did it for $90... they gave me all parts at %10 over dealer cost. The torque converter was warranty. But after 47 days I feel they should have fixed the fog light switch... at any rate... it is what it is I guess. Debating whether or not I want to open the dash up to chase wires.... not happy lol

Repoman05

Reaction score
......issue solved...... ummmm note to self....check fuses......not just the ones inside vehicle.... lol thanks tho.... all lights working .