2-way help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dflowers

Reaction score
recently purchased a 2000 Tahoe came with a 2- way and i was told that it did not work. i have very little experience with these but a friend of mine did say that it looked as if all the equipment was on the truck (horn, brain) and all the wires and fuses look good. The remote will send a signal but the truck will not respond to anything (lock, unlock, start). also have no idea where the 2way was purchsed. any help will be appreciated.

2-way: autostart as 6601

tonymac617

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stupid question, but make sure the battery doesnt need replacing in the Key Fob also all remote starts come with a Valet switch located on the kick panel or under the dash near your feet. You can trace the wiring to the module and find out if its hooked up properly. Usually these are tied into ignition within the column. Be careful not to unhook anything as you may not be able to start your truck. Just take a look around to see if you can identify the autostart module under the dash and trace the wiring to make sure all of them are connected. It could be a number of things from your remote being bad, wiring being frayed or unhooked or the module going out. Keep us posted on what you find

dflowers

Reaction score
Thanks for the link and the welcome. tonymac: i am sure the battery in the remote does not need replacing because the remote i have has the display on it and the display shows the picture of a car, the time, and battery level and when pushing a button a small antenna appears showing a signal being sent and when trying to reprogram it responded with beeps. I have found the module and what i think is the shock sensor (a smaller black box plugged into the module). when i found the module i noticed that what the schematic referred to as the loop wire was cut i peeled the insulation back and reconnected it and nothing. i then found the hood pin switch wire and it not connected to anything. i was told by the friend helping me that the hood switch wire could just be grounded so that there is a contact tried this and still nothing. other than those two wires everything seems to be in working order with the exception of i havent looked for the valet switch yet which will do later today.

tonymac617

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahh ok well sometimes its the easiest things we overlook sometimes but it sounds like your on the right track to pinpointing and finding your issue. Hopefully the valet is the culprit. Im wondering why the two wires were cut or not connected. There may be a possible issue with the hood pin and or shock sensor. Sometimes the hood pin may go bad because it is exposed to heat under the hood and weather etc. Let us know how you make out on the valet etc.....

gibsonsynthetics

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey! Welcome to the forum.

Quick thought about the remote. Sometimes these systems come with a simple kill switch so that the remote no longer works (Usually for just the remote start feature). But, this can be setup however you would like. This switch is usually under the dash, see if there is a switch there. If, so try flipping it. In the mean time I will look into other possibilities and get back to you. What is the make and model of the system you are using?

tonymac617

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey! Welcome to the forum.

Quick thought about the remote. Sometimes these systems come with a simple kill switch so that the remote no longer works (Usually for just the remote start feature). But, this can be setup however you would like. This switch is usually under the dash, see if there is a switch there. If, so try flipping it. In the mean time I will look into other possibilities and get back to you. What is the make and model of the system you are using?

Its all in the posts here. I too had mentioned the "Valet" switch under the dash in the kick panel area. :waytogo:

dflowers wrote: 2-way: autostart as 6601