2004 tahoe hit 100k .. Now I hear ticking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Superman04

Reaction score
Hello new here but I got a question I recently switched to part synthetic and run lucas oil and gas additoves but im hearing a ticking noise when I start the motor on the passenger side but only last about 30 seconds and it sounds good what could it be? Running CAI with flowmaster 40 series please if anyone can help so I can stop freaking out lol

02tahoez71

Reaction score
mine does the same thing for the first 30secs on cold starts.. dont know what it is, i can only assume its the oil taking too long to get to the top end of the engine

rjenvision

Reaction score
yes mine does the same thing when its cold. i was told it could be my lifters. the mechanic told me to just keep my oil change and i should be fine till im ready to get rid of it.

clkelley

Reaction score
It is the oil you are using. The oil is not "sticking" to the lifters, etc well enough to protect them at cold start. The 30 seconds between starting and the noise stopping is the time it takes for the oil to be pumped to the valve train. To stop this I would run a full synthetic oil, synthetics have additive properties that make them stick to the internal parts of the engine for better protection at cold start.

One additional option is to install a "Pre-oiler", which will prime the valve train before starting the engine so you avoid the dry cold start situation in the first place. Amsoil use to offer one but discontinued them for lack of purchasing/ordering. But there are others available. Below is a link to one example.

http://www.autoenginelube.com/

rjenvision

Reaction score
I use synthetic now but still here the knocking. how much does the pre oiler cost.

clkelley

Reaction score
Are you using synthetic or syntehtic blend? Which one? They are not created equal and a blend probably won't solve it.

rjenvision

Reaction score
just recently i had jiffy lube put in mobil 1 full synthetic. it runs ok but i still hear the tick during first part of startup. but after it warms up shes quite as a mouse.

clkelley

Reaction score
If you just switched and they didn't do a flush to get the old gunk out from the conventional oil then the Mobile isn't being fully utilized. It is still flowing slower than it should because of the residual build up from the old oils. I recommend when you do it again that you do an engine flush before draining the oil, then allow it to drain as fully as possible before installing the new oil. If it has spent it's life on conventional then I would recommend changing the filter to a new one before running the flush to help clean the gunk out a little better, this will also make room in the system to add the flush without fear of overfilling the engine.

rjenvision

Reaction score
Ok Ill try that next time. thanks for such great insite. ill keep u udated on my progress because I need to keep my hoe running smoothly forever. thanks!

clkelley

Reaction score

gibsonsynthetics

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For anyone truly interested in wanting to keep their trucks running smooth for the long term while saving money in the long run, you may want to check the links below. Both show recommended weights, viscosities, filters and capacities for your vehicles. One is a pc based look up guide and the other is a mobile look up guide.

Mobile look up guide:
http://www.amsoil.com/mygarage/PhoneVLYear.aspx?zo=1678239

Pc based look up guide:
http://www.amsoil.com/mygarage/vehiclelookup.aspx?zo=1678239

Those are some excellent links to look at! I recently bought a Chevy Silverado Duramax and learned about AMSOIL from the Duramax forum. This stuff is amazing, my truck runs far better than pre-AMSOIL flush.

I originally just did the switch from full synthetic, to AMSOIL full synthetic and didn't think too much of it, but did get awesome mileage going from Ithaca, NY to MA about once a month (I got 27 MPG on the highway regularly). Now I just installed an AMSOIL bypass oil filter and can already see and hear the benefits from it!

Just was passing by and saw this post, thought I would throw my own $0.02 in. Cheers! :happy160: Good luck with the ticking noise.

PS. Another thing that might be feasible would be to install a block heater on your truck (thus avoiding cold starts). Also, they are just freaking awesome! There is nothing like walking outside, getting into your car, starting it and having heat within seconds of starting it.

lafd55

Reaction score
could also be an exhaust leak. most likely the seal between header and catalytic converter or the seal right after it.

rjenvision

Reaction score
Those are some excellent links to look at! I recently bought a Chevy Silverado Duramax and learned about AMSOIL from the Duramax forum. This stuff is amazing, my truck runs far better than pre-AMSOIL flush.

I originally just did the switch from full synthetic, to AMSOIL full synthetic and didn't think too much of it, but did get awesome mileage going from Ithaca, NY to MA about once a month (I got 27 MPG on the highway regularly). Now I just installed an AMSOIL bypass oil filter and can already see and hear the benefits from it!

Just was passing by and saw this post, thought I would throw my own $0.02 in. Cheers! :happy160: Good luck with the ticking noise.

PS. Another thing that might be feasible would be to install a block heater on your truck (thus avoiding cold starts). Also, they are just freaking awesome! There is nothing like walking outside, getting into your car, starting it and having heat within seconds of starting it.

hey how can i get a amsoil bypasss filter installed in my 03 tahoe and how much would it cost me.