2008 LTZ vs. Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chute10

Reaction score
Just left dealer - have ability to buy either loaded LTZ or Z71 for the same $.
Think I like the Z71 better, but I feel like a fool since the LTZ is roughly $3g more with more option and I can get them at the same cost.

I think it is b.c I dont like the 5 spoke rims and there are less Z71's on the road. I will not be off-roading at all.

help pls - want to buy one tomm

thanks

Rich2007Z71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Up to you - I liked the ride of the Z71 better than the LTZ. And like you said, not many Z71s on the road. Plus I like the interior so much better - don't like the fake wood trim and I got the two tone black/gray seats. Just the overall package was more attractive back then. Good luck with your purchase - either way I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

sarahw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can't go wrong with either one! So, pick the one you like best and you won't have any regrets. Be sure to report in when you drive her home. :D

Chute10

Reaction score
Thanks - really still not sure what to do. The price is right on both and I really like the Z71, but I think I may reqret the xtra features on the LTZ like the power lift gate.

Will buy one tomm and report back - thanks!

You can't go wrong with either one! So, pick the one you like best and you won't have any regrets. Be sure to report in when you drive her home. :D

GMTech48

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Z71 has a pwr liftgate....it depends on what trim level you get.....go for the Z71...you'll be less likely to get curb rash on the wheels too! That wood grain dash is fugly IMO.

ugachs24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only thing I don't like about my Z71 is the way it rides, it's too stiff for me. I wish I had gone with an LTZ with Autoride now, but I still love my Z. I like the interior of the LTZ and by far the outside of the Z71. Mine is an LT3 so it has the power lift gate and all, you may be looking at an LT2.

Chute10

Reaction score
so there are diff LT packages on the Z71???

The MSRP is just under 51 and change, so I assume it is an LT2. I liked it also b.c it had the captain chairs for the middle seat and not the bench. I totally agree that the outside of the Z71 looks better.

Anyone bite on the $450 xtra feature on new tires or rims if not repairable for first 5 yrs by dealer??

Still undecided

The only thing I don't like about my Z71 is the way it rides, it's too stiff for me. I wish I had gone with an LTZ with Autoride now, but I still love my Z. I like the interior of the LTZ and by far the outside of the Z71. Mine is an LT3 so it has the power lift gate and all, you may be looking at an LT2.

ugachs24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so there are diff LT packages on the Z71???

The MSRP is just under 51 and change, so I assume it is an LT2. I liked it also b.c it had the captain chairs for the middle seat and not the bench. I totally agree that the outside of the Z71 looks better.

Anyone bite on the $450 xtra feature on new tires or rims if not repairable for first 5 yrs by dealer??

Still undecided

If it's $50k I would think it would be an LT3. I could be wrong, I honestly can't even remember what I paid without pulling out the sticker.

Definitely go with the Z71 if the LTZ doesn't have buckets, they're so much more practical and better looking.

I wouldn't go for that, depending on how many miles you drive you'll probably go through a set of tires within two years, three tops and the oem tires aren't that expensive. The chance of you destroying your rim is pretty small, I'd take your chances and keep the $500.

metro273

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I finally buy mine sometime early next year, I'll be buying an LTZ...:D
Tahoe or Suburban...I'm not sure yet!

Chute10

Reaction score
The Z71 is a LT3 with two-tone Buckets in the front, middle and bench in the back and the LTZ has solid buckets in front, middle and bench in the back.

The only other main diff is the LTZ has the power lift gate....I think

sad to say, I am going to go with the Z71 b.c I like the exterior look better, especially the rims b.c I dont like polished chrome. Funny how Chevy went away from this chrome look on the 2009 LTZ, but with 15g off the sticker, 2008 is the way to go.

Rich2007Z71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As was stated, depends on the options package you get - my Z71 has the LT3 package with the power liftgate - only thing I didn't get was NAV and rear camera! All depends on what you want to pay for and what options/trim level. My dealer stopped carrying Z71 at his 3 locations because he said nobody wants them anymore! Everyone wants the LTZ with the 20" or 22" tires - to each his own.

chadwick02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I LOVE my z71. Ride's great and it is a little more unique then all the LTZ's out there.

ochaole

Reaction score
i love my Z71 LT3,,,,,the LTZ's are nice but I see them everywhere,,,, i rarely see the Z71 4x4,,, its a great truck...

Chute10

Reaction score
done - LT3 Z71 - '08 Ruby Red with Light Tit/Black two tone buckets in first and sec

sweet truck at sweet price of $39,999

Texasguy

Reaction score
Arlington, TX (Home of the Tahoe factory)
I went with the LT3 myself in 2wd because I too don't plan on doing any serious off road. I had the chance to buy the LTZ for a fairly minimal extra charge but I actually didn't want the extra features because I figure the more extra gizmos the more chance they will break, like the autoride, power fold seats and sunroof. My last three cars had sunroofs and I didn't use them but once a month or so anyways and I have absolutely no use for a DVD entertainment system. I did get the power lift gate though, that thing is useful and fun to show off:cool2: and the Bose system is decent for stock. From what I read the 09 Tahoes wont even be offered in LT3.

q z71

Reaction score
Z71

Trust me, I own an 08 white Z71 and other Z71 owners always wave and give thumbs up. I really dont even responde to people with regular hoes. Haha.

Needless to say though, you would be very pleased with either one. They both are truly great machines. Congrats again on the purchase.