2008 Tahoe 2 weeks Old - Shakes in Idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

seagrave

Reaction score
Hey Seagrave - Does yours also run rough when in park? Mine will run rough from 1000 rpm to 400 rpm when in park or when at a stop with the brake on.

Mine does not do it in park......Only in Drive and mine is very subtle. But I still notice it.

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flying somewhare in VATSIM&Delta virtual airlines
Yeah they have to find some resolution to that problem as my Tahoe is an 07(same vehicle) with 16,000 miles on it and it has never had that problem and this is defiantly not normal! I say even if you have to sue the dealership you have to make them resolve this!

Klydel

Reaction score
Well I dropped off the Tahoe last Thursday. The Service Tech said that if it's some kind of fuel injection issue, then they wouldn't be able to fix it. That the fuel injector is balanced by the intake and emission sensors (something like that), and that the computer on the car controls the balance of the pistons/injectors, etc. But that he would check it out by running tests. Also, he said it might help by repositioning the motor mounts just slightly to see if this helps.

Saturday, they called and said your car is fixed and ready to go! My response was, "It's fixed?". They said, "Yap, fixed and ready". I was very cautious that everything was better.

We went to get it, and of course, neither of the service tech's were in on Saturday, so I had nobody to talk to. I read the paperwork of what they did, and basically the repositioned the motor mounts slightly, and that's it. Didn't say anything about running tests.

The car still shakes, and worse of all, I think it shakes more!

I'm taking it to my personal mechanic on Monday to get his opinion. He's actually someone that I trust. Then it goes back to the dealership. If they can't fix this problem, then it sounds like I got a LEMON.

Please give me feedback, you guys are helping me tremendously.

Klydel

Klydel

Reaction score
I have the same problem when sitting in idle/stop at a red light it will slightly shake. But it does not shake when driving at all only when in idle or stop.... i have 1911 miles on it and the dealer told me to put more miles on it. I took it when it had 400 miles on it.... the shaking is almost gone now.... Hope this helps.... But if you have a problem shaking while driving now thats a problem.... keep us posted on the outcome.... let me know if there is a fix

Hey Nitan - did yours just gradually get better and then go away? Or did it go away after some significant work or event?

Klydel

PartyOf5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Nitan - did yours just gradually get better and then go away? Or did it go away after some significant work or event?

Klydel

All I can say is I hope you get it fixed or the truck replaced. My Denali at times, not always has an ever so slight shake sitting at a red light or warming up at idle. Almost like the truck let out a baby burp. Never while driving though.

I want to say its similar to what Nitan describes. Its never been hard enough a shake for me to think it shouldn't do that until I read this thread. I'll have to pay closer attention to it now.

johnebgoode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The car still shakes, and worse of all, I think it shakes more! Klydel
If they repositioned the engine, which I think is assinine, then the vibration or shake will get worse. Engineers spend a whole lot of time on these vehicles in regard to engine placement. If some nimrod dealer told me he was gonna change the placement based on a GUESS, I would have turned around and went to a different dealership. Those knuckleheads obviously arent qualified to work on your vehicle.
I am still leaning towards a bad injector.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
If they repositioned the engine, which I think is assinine, then the vibration or shake will get worse. Engineers spend a whole lot of time on these vehicles in regard to engine placement. If some nimrod dealer told me he was gonna change the placement based on a GUESS, I would have turned around and went to a different dealership. Those knuckleheads obviously arent qualified to work on your vehicle.
I am still leaning towards a bad injector.

I completely agree with everything Johne posted. And after reading your (Klydel) post about what the dealership did to "fix" the problem, I wouldn't take it back to them for any repairs. They should have pullled out the Tech II, an o-scope, and everything else they have to check each individual injector pulse, duty cycle, etc. Even though the injector's cycle are controlled by the PCM, that doesn't mean you can't have an injector slightly out of spec and unable to have it replaced. I think those so called technicians are full of BS.

ntitan06

Reaction score
Well it got better than it was before... The first couple of weeks I took it in everyday I could feel the whole truck shaking.... they ran test and hook it up to the TechII but no codes.... I have 2200 miles on it now and while i was driving it today i could barely, barely notice it.... but it got better as I put more miles on it.... I also added the fuel system cleaner while i filled it up with gas this last week and it help... Im going to add some more on my next fill up.... but the rough idle is about gone now.... Believe me when i tell you this rough idle is more common than you think on this truck alot of ppl have the same issue.....

Klydel

Reaction score
Rough Idle

Well,
I took it into a different chevy dealership to have them check it out, they ran pulse widths, and duty cycles - all came out within normal limits. They said it looked fine and that some of the V8's will tend to run a little rougher than others in idle. After looking at other message boards, this sounds like a common problem with Tahoes.
Some say that Techron fuel cleaner helps, putting on more miles helps (2500-3000mi) as well.
I'm going to drive it a little more and make a decision. How do you request a new car when it's such a light shake, intermittent, and all testing reveals that nothing is wrong.
Thanks for all the help, any more advice will be greatly appreciated.

Klydel

jdogg

Reaction score
My Hoe has the shakes too.

I just purchased my 07 last month and I'm very concerned about the rough idle too. My Hoe shakes at stops and red lights in the first few minutes of my drives even though I warm it up. After a brief freeway run, the shaking goes away. I was thinking of taking it in, but I guess I will put more miles on it and hope the shaking diminishes. I just went from a being a long time Ford owner to a Chevy. So far, I have being really impressed with the Chevy Tahoe except for the rough idle. I will try the techron on my next fill up and see if that helps.
Jdogg

kpanza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, it seems to be more common than we would like...mine has what I would call a "miss" or "stumble" when I am in Park or Drive, but only feel it when I am stopped (it's so subtle, would never feel it while driving). But it is random, not constant, which is what bugs me. If you happen to be looking at the tach when this happens, you can visibly see the RPMs jump a hair...and feel the truck surge. I'd say it happens just about every time I drive it. After seeing all the responses about this issue, I won't waste my time at the dealerships since it doesn't seem to have a known cure...

Mine has 10,000 miles on it and still doing it, has since new...I think it must be something in the software mapping of fuel/ignition system - the injectors, or some sensor that isn't quite right...but with as widespread as the issue seems to be, it must be a design flaw?

Other than that, the truck is great...but I do feel your pain, sucks to pay almost $50k and have this little quirk...

Last edited:

ntitan06

Reaction score
What I have notice is when the temperature outside is below 55 degrees it does not idle rough but above that it will have a rough idle.... I have 2946 miles on my LT2 and the rough idle has diminished some. I dont pay attention to it anymore. But overall love the truck

serge12345

Reaction score
im not a genius but take out does atock spark plugs and wires

change the spark plugs and wires that might be the problem