2013 Tahoe LTZ Idle Shudder/Vibration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GREECO

Reaction score
I’m new to the forum and looking for a little advice/insight. I recently purchased a 2013 Tahoe LTZ. It currently has 2K miles. Almost immediately after purchasing it I noticed that it has a slight shudder/vibration at idle. I’ve noticed the issue in park, drive and neutral while idling. Here are the highlights of the issue:

-Seems to be worse once the engine has warmed up (transmission temperatures higher than 120F).
-Noticeably worse when parked on an incline or decline.
-RPM does not jump around during the vibration. The RPM stays steady.
-Is not associated with electrical loads on the vehicle. Occurs regardless of electrical load (high or low).
-No fault or dash lights associated with vibration
-Idles at 500 RPM in drive and neutral
-Idles at 600 RPM in park
-Drives normal otherwise

Although the shudder is somewhat minor, it has become very bothersome. I have taken it in to 2 different Chevy dealerships for a checkout. First technician sat in the driver’s seat for a few minutes and told me that the vibration is normal and nothing to worry about. He said that without the presence of a “check-engine light†there is no problem. The second dealership ran the vehicle through a multipoint inspection and ran a diagnostic check. Everything came back normal. I was told that the engine needed a break-in period and that some “rough†idle was normal.

Anybody else have this issue with the Tahoe engine? I realize it’s a brand new vehicle but I’m concerned the vibration is going to lead to bigger issues down the road, not to mention it has become very annoying.

Appreciate any advice or insight.

Ned's LTZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I sell these, and own one. I have not experienced anything like what you are talking about, nor have I had any feedback from any customers here with similar complaints. If nothing else gets resolved, don't be afraid to call the Chevy assistance with service problems. I would agree this is not normal...mine is very smooth running.

GREECO

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I assume that the lack of response to this thread means that no one else is having this issue.

GREECO

Reaction score
Update to the original post:

I took the vehicle in to the dealership and told them I wanted them to run further tests to make sure the shudder was not a problem. They kept it for two days and supposedly ran several tests. I was told they ran vibration tests and compared my vehicle to others on the lot. Ultimately, they did not find anything wrong with the vehicle and determined the slight shudder to be normal. In fact, when I showed up to pick up the vehicle I asked to drive another Tahoe for a comparison. Honestly, the other one I drove seemed worse than mine. I also drove my buddy’s Silverado and his did the same thing. I guess it must be my hang-up. My last car was a four cylinder VW that I couldn’t even tell was running when it idled.

Ultimately, the shudder is minor but annoying. I feel like this isn’t something I should have to “put up with†after spending the money I did for this ride. Moving on.

kntrydr

Reaction score
I had a Similar problem when I bought my 07 everyone told me its normal but I had a hard time Believing that such a nice truck should feel like a tractor but to my surprise when I put a good set of new plugs and wires it went away as much as I want to believe that gm would never put a defective part on a new truck for the cost it might be something you might want to check out I got my plugs and wires for under $200 bucks (Taylor custom fits and e3 plugs)
Good luck hope this helps

blairian

Reaction score
Mine is running real smooth as well - sorry to hear that yours is having a problem. I don't think that with that low amount of mileage you should be experiencing any issues...

I would keep pushing to find an answer.

amtahoe

Reaction score
Same problem

I just started looking for posts with similar issues regarding this engine vibration/shuttering, and found GREECO's post. It is exactly the same issue that I'm experiencing and I got the same response from the dealership!! I don't think it is just us; there is definitely an issue at hand.

I bought a brand new 2013 Tahoe, and the same problem started about 6-9 months ago. I guess all of the dealers have been informed to say "this is normal". I just sold an 11 year old car that ran smoother than this. Tends to occur at lower RPM's and the engine shutter gets stronger in stop-and-go traffic. Can't believe this issue comes standard with a brand new $50K truck, and I'm very disappointed (Dealer says this is normal when the Tahoe is fluctuating between 1st and 2nd gear).

Does anyone have a solution? I've seen many complaints on this issue, but no solutions yet.

GREECO

Reaction score
Unfortunately, no solution for mine. I gave up fighting with the dealership a while ago. They refused to budge on the idea that it is normal. They keep pushing a service bulletin in my face that says that "some" vibration at idle is normal. This is the quality that you get when spending over 50K on a Chevy? Last one I will EVER own.