Aftermarket Intake Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
School is coming to an end..."The week of no sleep" with poor eating habits as well will be over by the 19th. After that its modding I start doing.

I would like to do a Dual Ram Air vented hood for my Escahoe. My orignal plan was to have custom dual cone intake made. Each cone would be lines up behind each Ram Air Duct. Unless I go F/I. But that seems far fetched b/c no one is selling thier used kits : (

I have come across a Volant intake BNIB for $200 Neg. His selling point is that 4in compared to the rest of vendors...is it worth it? Should I hold out? If don't get Voolant whats the next best option...

P.S. I did do some searching on the fourms and came up with nothing.
As of right now I just Have a drop in filter.

95TwinTT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you looking for increasing performance or is this just for looks?

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:box2:
I just been insulted....

I kid, I kid, A lil bit of both. No really sees underneath the hood cept my mech, me and those that are into modding thier vechiles.

95TwinTT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think most hood scoops are mostly eye candy and don't make enough difference in performance to measure.

A good K&N intake is about as good as it gets. If you were serious about high speed air coming at you, it is cheaper and better to take it from under the bumper or in the grill.

I think the Gale Banks shop truck has air intakes where the parking lights were.

They gave up on OEM hood scoops a few years back when they discovered that there was a low pressure area above most hoods. Kind of related to the same principle that make airplanes fly. :)

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree if your going hood, do cowl for cooling. ram the air in from the bumper, like Del says. If its good for nascar, its good for our big ass trucks.

I like your intake idea, but doing it on these trucks is different than doing it on your tuner. I mean, IT'S AS COOL, just different. Lets do the cool mods to your ride, but take your time a bit and think it out a little. Del helped me to see differently about my truck when I first joined... Everyone did.

Think of what you want to do.. then plan.. then open with your best mod ever.

Or you can hollow out some press on scoops or something. :D work together, take your time. I hope we're still cool, for me saying that.

I've been drinking again. Sorry if Im being a jag.\take care,
Pete

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sas...never seen a girl before with her pants half on shaving her but wrapped in a thong? LOL Just bustin dude...the beauties of being in college. Mainly why I'm doing my 5th yr. and added a minor to keep me here. When I reach the magic number 60. (on 47 now) then I am ready to walk and make the fam proud. I don't think my Escahoe will look good with the cowl hood when it sits on 24's for the summer.

I thought Cowl Hoods were for A) Underhood clearence B) Looks.
My buddy has a modified 99 2 Dr How with a Cowl Hood and a drop in K&N Filter. His is steel...is that better then duraflex?

TT- I have a 00 Caddy Front...does the kit apply to that? I see the stock air box is connected to a hole on the inner fender. I never really tore into the Hoe, is there enough room to Madrel bend a pipe into there? What about widening the hole via cutting and the good all BFH?

I can't find pics of the hood I wanted BUT THEY WERE NOT ADD-ON SCOOPS! I thought ram-air was the real deal. Its been on early trans ams where is actually opens to suck in air depending on throttle. Then through the year it just trasitioned into scoops that are connected into duct work. Like the late Trans Ams. My idea was to get that Hood and have A single pipe run in a U Shape that has two end in which both sit horizontal to the scoop to get MAX Flow. Whatever is not sucked is used to cool down the bay.

I understand what your saying as in a Wing to Hood of a Car. But what about fighter planes of previous years. The P-51D Mustang Had a Scoop underneath the fuelsalage. What about the early jet fighters suck air. Where a Single jet is run down the fuelsalge such as a MIg 15 and F-86? I see air being thrown over the hood but But then broken up but the obnoxious holes of the ram air hood.

Just askin...Why you drinkin on a Tuesday?

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cowl hoods help cool your engine as well as what you stated. When at higher speeds like the freeway there is a turbulence on the lower part of your windshield. Having the cowl hood makes that air stored at the bottom of your windshield and it gets sucked down through the engine compartment. There is 2 different types of cowl hoods. You can get the appearance and clearance one, or a straight up functioning one.. The functioning one has a screen on the back and the appearance one is just filled in and doesn't let air come into it.. idk hard to explain.

Steel and Fiberglass--- ones lighter then the other. only pro i see of it..

Hey Treepete- what the hell does Del mean?? I see that word in everyone of your posts, but dont even f*cking know what it means.. Lol.. ahha sorry

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I guess when Shopping for a Cowl Hood just make sure it's functional.
How does the air pocket get sucked in to the engine compartment?

Anyone have pics of thier functional cowl hood? Exterior and Interior Por favor

What would be the best intake when I purchase a Cowl Hood?

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just the turbulence right there.. idk scientific sh*t... looking through my picture collection i dont have any on an escalade.. i mean.. theres not much to it.. Like where the hood is extended in the air near the window like its just open back their for a functioning one, and for a nonfunctioning one its just blocked off basically. idk....

95TwinTT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would agree that different hoods can create various air movements, but I would have to guess that a predictable flow of air could only be expected if it were in concert with other efforts.

The height of the vehicle makes a difference along with air dams under the front end, etc. NASCAR vehicles have been designed in wind tunnels. They also need it since they go 200 mph.

If the desired effect is to have “x†amount of air forced into the engine intake to improve performance, I would say you are pissing into the wind. You are just going to get your shoes wet.

These computer controlled engines, self correct for air flow. If the computer see a surge of air that is not expected and does not jive with the TPS, MAP and MAF readings, it just may go the other way.

Just my .02 worth.

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would agree that different hoods can create various air movements, but I would have to guess that a predictable flow of air could only be expected if it were in concert with other efforts.

The height of the vehicle makes a difference along with air dams under the front end, etc. NASCAR vehicles have been designed in wind tunnels. They also need it since they go 200 mph.

If the desired effect is to have “x†amount of air forced into the engine intake to improve performance, I would say you are pissing into the wind. You are just going to get your shoes wet.

These computer controlled engines, self correct for air flow. If the computer see a surge of air that is not expected and does not jive with the TPS, MAP and MAF readings, it just may go the other way.

Just my .02 worth.

Dude, I'm lost...break it down for me brother! I get the Nascar part after that I'm confused. The second para I kinda do...but this is what I'm getting from it. I'm not looking to get X amount of air forced into the engine. I just want optimal performance all the time. What i've learned, is to do it right and do it once. CHEAPER THAT WAY. I'm not looking for XX HP gains...would like to get the best bang for my buck. Believe me if I had 4g's laying around I would S/C this thing. I'm halfway there and I'm currently looking for one USED (HINT HINT PEOPLE). I really can't justify spending 4g's on NEW S/C for a USED HOE. But ya know 600 here...300 there it adds up. My goal is spend $1000 a year on my HOE. On Maintence. Whatever is left is for upgrades. So the new Year is coming...time to cash in. My Hoe is a DD not a race car (thats what I have my DSM for). I'm just looking to intermix my knowledge from that and interpret it into the Escahoe. My goal with this truck is BBB...BIG BLACK BEAUTIFUL. I want optimal MPG and as well as Mild Performance. A True CAI or Custom Ram Air will do.

I think you think that I want amazing HP out of an intake. Right lol? If thats what you think, your misinterpreted my intention of the thread. I'm sorry for that. I admire your work and take your advice with the most highest respect.

95TwinTT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the confusion comes in from how a carburetor reacts versus fuel injection. Or I should say “computer controlled†fuel injection. In a carb, no matter how much air you stuff through it, the proper amount of fuel is added on the way. You have probably seen some old hot rods with a big blower sitting on top of the engine, with two four barrel carbs sitting on top. No matter what the blower did, the fuel air was always correct. Too rich most of the time, but consistent.

When it comes to these computer controlled, fuel injected engines, a school of computer programmers have designed a system that is tightly controlled using proactive and reactive sensors and controls on a platform they have designed.

You have heard of “closed loop†and “open loopâ€, those are two different modes the computer uses to operate the engine fuel management. One is a fuel map written by these experts for the exact specifications of the “stock†engine components. The other is for keeping mixture as close to 14.7 AFR as possible, using every sensor in the system, by changing injectors “time onâ€, above and below the programmed pulse width and altering spark timing. That is over simplified, since the OBD2 is extremely complex with all kinds of capabilities to alter timing and fuel, while monitoring it’s environment.

To achieve any kind of added performance with these computers, they need to be part of the plan. Normally aspirated engines respond to making the path of air flow, smoother, or larger, or shorter, along with reprogramming the computer to add fuel and timing to take advantage of the added air.

You often hear of engines being called air pumps. That is basically what they are. To me, if you want to make a difference, look into a cam, or better flowing heads. Or start with headers and some of the other proven avenues of progress.

Throttle body size, heads, cam, and headers are thought to be the first area of concern with most stock engine. In the old days, ignition was a big deal, but now with high output coils from the factory, spark is not an issue as a rule.

Any changes to make the engine more efficient, will also improve mileage as well.
A K&N air filter is about as far as anyone needs to go on reducing intake restriction.

I’m not trying to talk you out of the hood changes, just wanting to make sure you are getting the biggest bang for your buck………. :cool:

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dude,

A cam is fine, but I have no knowledge on a LIGHT CAM for our Vechile. I did post on the forums awhile back, but with no response. I know JennaBear (<Hey Hunny) Has a mild cam with Exhuast and it sound like a beast! But raising the idle kills MPG. But I drive 50 miles a day and some more...in sometimes traffic. A mild Cam will Kill my MPG.

I do have PnP'd heads (I stated along in previous threads) :nonod: Guess you don't pay attention to those that aren't TT thier truck LOL.
This winter I do plan on Swapping the Heads and adding a TB Spacer (Helix Design) within the next week or 2. If I do get ballsy, while it is all apart, I will attempt to port the intake manifold.

When Summer begins I will be purchasing Pacesetter Long Tube Headers, mated up to a custom Y-Pipe into Dual Exhuast with possibley a cherry bomb in there too.

After that Would be the MSD-Ignition cuz people on here claim they get 50 more miles to tank. THATS A ONE day free for me! Get my money back in that no time. Then the Big 3-with Hi-output Amp.

I am in the market for an aftermarket hood. Looks Cool, Ligher, Decrease engine Temps. Just preferred the Ram Air over the Cowl b/c I thought it would be better "performance" wise and look better on my truck. A hood won't be in the Pic anytime soon. But I came across this intake I feel at a decent price with some room to Neg. Figure I can skip a step here and there in my Mod Path if the price is right.

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
speaking of air, which one is best for a stock or lightly modded engine.. (possibly a cowl to come)

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm leaning towards Volant. I Pm'd him my offer of $150 for BNIB woohoo. I like how Volant connects to the open port. I'm think of going to Home Depot and getting some tubbing to drop it into the Lower fender!

I was reading the sticky up top...Do they make upgraded MAF's for our car? Or is there an MAF from another vechile we can swap in and get some gains out of?

You mentioned Black Bear Tuning...They tune PCM's, OBViosuly there not in NY. This meansd I have to remove my PCM, tell them my upgrades and needs they will tune? Black Bear the only tuning place. I'd love to give supporting vendors my $$ but not if I can't drive my truck for a while.